Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got a free laptop today and so far it seems the only problem with it is that the headphone jacks don't work.

The laptop is a two year old HP DV7-1025nr.

Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26Ghz
4GB DDR2
Nvidia 9600m GT
320GB 5400rpm HDD
17.3" LCD (Its beautiful btw)
DVD-RW
Intel Wireless 5100AGN

I've loaded Windows 7 on it, installed drivers, its running great, super fast, I've installed some Steam games and it games really well.

I am SUPER STOKED about this!!!

Now I just need to look into fixing the headphone jacks, popping in an SSD to the second hard drive bay, and this will be perfect. Maybe I'll end up putting my blu-ray drive from my other laptop if the connector is the same.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, when I was playing Zenoclash, which is a great game btw, I definitely heard the fan spin up big time. I'll eventually do a tear down and clean it out, apply new TIM.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruler View Post
How did you get that for free?!
I fix computer's for a living and sometimes people recycle their e-waste. At the shop I work at you would be shocked what people throw out.

The last cool thing was an old gaming rig, it was some Core 2 Duo, a $200 case, I forget the name but its all steel colored with foam padding inside to muffle sound, I think its a cooler master case. Ram, etc, basically I think the board had died so they just tossed the whole thing. EDIT: Oh yea, the best part, the board was under warranty! We processed the RMA and they sent us a replacement, it was an Asus sli board of some sort, I think it retailed for like $200-250.

We've had complete working systems with lcd's that got infected and instead of pay to get it fixed they throw it away. The last one, a Sony system, we reloaded and sold the whole thing for $600. That was just free found money.

This was from one of my own customers how said Best Buy couldn't fix it so they were tossing it out. I took it home, reloaded it, expecting it to be dead or have a big problem, so far the only problem I can see is that the headphone jacks don't work.

When I first booted it up it had message, "select proper boot device" so I thought maybe failing hard drive or bad board but I guess he had just wiped the drive before e-wasting it.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I love garbage picking for computer parts. I got a badass CRT that way. A school system was just throwing away a 500 dollar Viewsonic that does 2048x1536. Oh well, their loss my very heavy gain

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other thing is that we get paid per pound for e-waste as well. So its not just the stuff we can pull and use/sell, but all the crappy P3 systems, CRT monitors, etc. we get money for, so every month or so we can a check for around $140.

It really comes in handy being an e-waste collection site. I needed to replace a 939 mobo today and they hard to come buy. I just happened to have an old Compaq someone had dropped off with a 939 board, installed it, it works fine. Now we get to charge money for that board too.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
I love garbage picking for computer parts. I got a badass CRT that way. A school system was just throwing away a 500 dollar Viewsonic that does 2048x1536. Oh well, their loss my very heavy gain

I love picking up e-trash.

What I can fix and sell off to my less financially fortunate friends at a small, small price.

I picked up a 1.8GHz P4 with 512MB RAM, a Rage 128 the other day.

Was a Dell.

Cleaned it up, and re-installed XP on it.
Runs like a champ now.
Sold it to my friend for just $50. He couldn't afford a PC and his old one was trashed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts