Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for one with really good quality. Looking to start using my PC as an HTPC, and need to rip my movies to my HDD. That, and my 250GB HDD has never been anywhere near full, and I need to make it feel properly used

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used that for a while and I didn't think it was high enough quality for me. Is there one that can give me decent picture at full screen? (1600 x 1200)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Well I know of nothing for free that does A1 quality but a key for DVDfab express is only 20 bux and that is what I use for good quality burning.

·
cd C:\TEMP\
2,309 Posts
... just ripping a DVD to your HDD using Shrink, decrypter or FABdecrypter leaves you with a 100% representation of the original DVD on the HDD... no loss whats so ever... are you looking to convert DVD's to a smaller file (avi etc.)?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
with no loss, you would get a 4 or 8 gigabyte file depending upon how old the dvd is.....

you want loss or your gonna fill you your HDD VERY VERY fast....

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well is there a way to make it not pixelated when I expand to full screen? Like AA ors omething of the like? Even with lossless ripping, the quality qwas still sub par. I pretty much just watch anime, so it doesn't have to be amazing quality, but it's still all blocky and poopy...

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

Well is there a way to make it not pixelated when I expand to full screen? Like AA or something of the like? Even with lossless ripping, the quality qwas still sub par. I pretty much just watch anime, so it doesn't have to be amazing quality, but it's still all blocky and poopy...

DVD resolution is 720x480 so you cannot expect your output to be higher than that. When you blow up the image it will be blocky. I know the scalers I work with at work do a good job of fixing this problem but they cost $15,000. You still will usually see blocking in the black areas even with this device.

·
cd C:\TEMP\
2,309 Posts
Looky here

This might help to get good quality... but lets face it... once you compress it is never the same again...

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

Well is there a way to make it not pixelated when I expand to full screen? Like AA ors omething of the like? Even with lossless ripping, the quality qwas still sub par. I pretty much just watch anime, so it doesn't have to be amazing quality, but it's still all blocky and poopy...

You can use a AV receiver with 1080P upscaling on all inputs. The one from Onkyo used one of the highest quality consumer upscalers available: the Reon HQV:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...nes-254906.php

Now, in order to take advantage of this fabulous piece of equipment, you will need a 1080P capable TV.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
DVDShrink ... second that.

I converted 50 hours of personally shot DVD footage using that ... worked beautifully.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
DVDShrink ... second that.

I converted 50 hours of personally shot DVD footage using that ... worked beautifully.

Personally shot DVD? Is that code for pr0nz?

And thanks for all of the help, guys. I'll probably end up using these programs you guys have selected.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
Personally shot DVD? Is that code for pr0nz?

And thanks for all of the help, guys. I'll probably end up using these programs you guys have selected.

Pr0nz?

Well ... sort of ... if you find songwriters and local houston bands desirable ...

Here's some of it on Youtube: Pr0nZ!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts