Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tring to debate on how to cool my new machine and I am debating on using the water pressure from the house and running a small hose similar to the back of the refrigerator, into the a heat sink on my CPU. There are no issues with this but one, where should I pump the used water? I don't have a softener to dump into and I don't want to waste it either. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsddcd
where should I pump the used water?
Hmmm, that's a toughie...

(hey! the "thinking" icon is replaced by "I'm with stupid" in the quick menu! What attitude is this website encouraging?
)

Anyway, you could use the water to feed a hydroponic garden to pay for the water you're using. I hear some crops can be quite profitable!

Or you could build a swimming pool, and use the water to feed it. :***:

Or, you could have the water fill a huge tank, and then use that to feed all the faucets in your house.

Anyone else have any ideas? :withstupi (hey, it was handy)

·
Registered
367 Posts
If your pc is located upstairs (maybe UK only dont know how other countrys do it) but you could feed it directly back into the tank therefoe not wasting any

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
using unfilter/non distilled water may cause build up and corode the inside of the pure copper water block... so its a good idea but may not work for long periods of time....

·
Registered
367 Posts
woundn't be hard to filter filter it though, all he need is a a plastic box with some of that seaweed scrubber thing that my bird uses to clean her back in the bath...........(trying to think of name)..............(errrrrrrrrr)..........(someone throw me a line here)........................anyway if you can think of it, that! he could also use the opertunity of the box for extra cooling, maybe stick some heatsinks in there of something?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bys0n
woundn't be hard to filter filter it though, all he need is a a plastic box with some of that seaweed scrubber thing that my bird uses to clean her back in the bath...........(trying to think of name)..............(errrrrrrrrr)..........(someone throw me a line here)........................anyway if you can think of it, that! he could also use the opertunity of the box for extra cooling, maybe stick some heatsinks in there of something?
does this.....um stuff...... actuall filter the impurities and minerals out of water? if it doesnt then the copper will still corrode and eventuall clog up and not work....

puting heatsinks in the "box" will if anything raise the temps... because water coming from the underground pipes is pretty cold... much cooler than the room temp air it will be in, so the heat sinks will actually do the opposite.

·
Registered
367 Posts
sealed box mate and flowing water for more than 5 mins is freezing becuase its deep underground and probably traveled a mile to get there lol, anyway phoned my bird and its called a loofa, its a long spongey thing but it is made up of a tightlynit honeycomb of seaweed stuff (bit of a girly product, so sorry if I aint well up) anyway it is a natural filter/purifyer, you have to get a new one every so many uses cos collects all the crap off your body and water etc, guess thats why women use em??? (dont understand women much) anyway if you are gonna use them get real seaweed ones not the plastic cheap rip off crap

Hope this helps

addition - here ya go a pic http://www.armenza.com/images/boutiq...orps/loofa.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
lufas are not seaweed. Or sponge. Or in any way related to anything marine, though they do *look* sponge-like. They are actually a form of processed fruit - the processing removes everything except the xylem network that provides structural support. The spaces in the middle contained seeds.

If you try to run mains water into your cooling system, you get excellent cooling. But then everyone else does the same, the reservoirs run dry and the water-company starts distributing meters.

·
Registered
367 Posts
you can get seaweed loofa's I know I get dragged round the bodyshop everytime we go shopping
there in the stupid face mask section which smells funny and is filled with old people

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think there's anyway to filter everything out of your tap water with out distilling it and that will never work with trying to run tap water. As stated above if you don't distill the water then you'll go through blocks fairly quickly from all the built up. Good idea though for readily available cold water.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
i really don't see the problem here. Do you really think corrosion will build up THAT fast. I honestly don;t see that happening. Most of you act like corrosion is an overnight process...or that the water is caustic. Most city water supplies have pretty soft water, and that would be a pretty good preventer of corrosion. I think the guy should go for it, but just run the water through the mains direct, and run it from his block into the refrigerator resivior, or he could do hydroponics like someone else suggested. Or you could buy and icemaker and bag ice and make an a$$load of money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all Corosion is no big problem, second a small charcoal filter can remove most of the calcium and contaiminates that cause build up. I may try it with a small valve and y with a standad system for occaional cooling. I will try and figure it out but I have nothing as of yet. The only good way I see to do it is to run it out into a drain but that is a huge waste.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If Im not mistaken he is talking about running the copper tubing strait through his air cooled heat sink. Which brings up another thing. He said in the title free, meaning he had no intention of buying a water block, but using copper tubing like on the back of a fridge. IMO it is a huge waiste of water, and someones bill will get pretty large.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeoliver
IMO it is a huge waiste of water, and someones bill will get pretty large.
Thanks for acknowledging the elephant in the room. Hence my suggestions on what to do with the water.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have to buy a water block but a high efficancy block would be less critical in this situaction so a Cheap Zalman aluminum or similar would be sufficiant. I would most likely run standard plastic tubing, you can buy a huge amount for nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I work for the utilities department of my town, which handles water and sewer. We have a pump truck that breaks down every now and then, and once we had to replace a fitting on it. We did, and at first it was leaky, but then my boss said, "dont worry about the leak, that will rust up in a couple of days and the leak will stop." and in a couple days, thats exactly what happened. So while in some towns water may be better/worse, I wouldnt want that water running through my system

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Meh.....if you have well-water, you could circulate it back iinto the well. And water that goes into the sewer system isn;t wasted. It's recycled. AND many places donlt charge you for your water. I know here in Baton Rouge we have a flat rate per month.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeville
Hmmm, that's a toughie...

(hey! the "thinking" icon is replaced by "I'm with stupid" in the quick menu! What attitude is this website encouraging?
)

Anyway, you could use the water to feed a hydroponic garden to pay for the water you're using. I hear some crops can be quite profitable!

Or you could build a swimming pool, and use the water to feed it. :***:

Or, you could have the water fill a huge tank, and then use that to feed all the faucets in your house.

Anyone else have any ideas? :withstupi (hey, it was handy)
HAHAHA! thats funny, its not that expensive to buy a water cooling kit, TM BT are like 60$ on compUSA

·
Registered
390 Posts
i was under the inpression that the plumbing in my house was copper. the pipes that same color as a penny. if the pipes in my house dont "clog and corriod" then why would my water block?? you could the used water to feed the hotwater heater maybe. i dont usally drink the hot water in the sink just the cold and thats a differant system then the hot. but why would it matter anyways, the block is copper, so drink up. or fill the bowl on the back of the pooper.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r
i really don't see the problem here. Do you really think corrosion will build up THAT fast. I honestly don;t see that happening. Most of you act like corrosion is an overnight process...or that the water is caustic. Most city water supplies have pretty soft water, and that would be a pretty good preventer of corrosion. I think the guy should go for it, but just run the water through the mains direct, and run it from his block into the refrigerator resivior, or he could do hydroponics like someone else suggested. Or you could buy and icemaker and bag ice and make an a$$load of money.
It will build up faster then you would want it to. It also depends on the water in the area, and there are plenty of cities that have hard water. It may not be an overnight process, but it wouldn't much longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r
Meh.....if you have well-water, you could circulate it back iinto the well. And water that goes into the sewer system isn;t wasted. It's recycled. AND many places donlt charge you for your water. I know here in Baton Rouge we have a flat rate per month.
God forbid that we try to conserve anything. You must live in a perfect place, soft water, and you don’t have to pay for it!

• Rep+
Reactions: DrDeville
1 - 20 of 29 Posts