Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Freezer 64 Pro from Newegg and was reading some threads on lapping and wondered how big of a difference in temp I should expect from lapping it? It's a open box OEM for $9.99 with free shipping so I could not resist.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You'll want to do more than lap it. I bought the very same O/B special and it was 5-6c higher (about 36 idle/45+ load) than the OEM cooler. Terrible. So, I lapped it and replaced the stock fan with a Sunon 92mm fan and now my temps are 25c idle/36 load. HUGE difference over stock.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Depends on the finish of yours. Mine was really concave, and I dropped around 7-8c on load after a thorough lapping.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds pretty good.I didn't lap the Alpine because I figured I would be replacing it later.When I went up to 2.8Ghz it got up to 51c when I was running Orthos.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Wow with mine lapped and the new fan, @ 2.8 I load at 42c with prime 95, Im single core though. I brought it down from 2.9 for the summer, as the .5 drop in vcore saved my temps.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a OEM from Newegg and I got it for $65 with Rainbow 6 Vegas.If it's OEM I don't have the 3 year warranty right?

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Well if yor not that concerned go ahead if you like, just be very careful to protect the pins and protect them, and Ive heard cpus are a lot of work to do. You may see 3c drop, poss 5c max. Its up to you if your not worried.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll probably just do the cooler and see how my temps are.I'm not sure if I'll run it past 2.8 except to just see how high it will go.My MB has the OC profiles so I was planning on running it stock most of the time and just upping it to 2.8 to play games.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've lapped my Freezer and it was very concave.After seeing how concave some of the IHS's on some of the CPU's in lapping threads have been I'm tempted to lap mine.I have a couple questions though.First is their any danger in wet sanding or should I dry sand the CPU?Next I've seen people say to do the rice grain size TIM in the center when mounting and some say spread a thin layer.Which is the best method?I've always used a single sided razor and spread a thin layer.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskelsey
View Post

Well I've lapped my Freezer and it was very concave.After seeing how concave some of the IHS's on some of the CPU's in lapping threads have been I'm tempted to lap mine.I have a couple questions though.First is their any danger in wet sanding or should I dry sand the CPU?Next I've seen people say to do the rice grain size TIM in the center when mounting and some say spread a thin layer.Which is the best method?I've always used a single sided razor and spread a thin layer.

James nice to see you finally lapped your HS...I bet it was a long journey, I know mine was hehe.

I dry sanded my IHS, took about 2 hrs, did 400grit and went all the way up to 800. Probably wasn't necessary to do 800grit but I did it anyways.

I use to spread as5 on the IHS and then I did the rice grain size TIM in the middle. Both gave me the same results but I found the rice grain size TIM to be easier and less time consuming

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskelsey
View Post

I wet-sanded mine, you should just be careful of not using too much water.

TIM wise, it's best to apply a VERY little amount on the middle, and wiggle your heatsink

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I lapped my HS and CPU and it looks like about a 7-8c improvement over my Alpine 64 cooler.I ran the 30 min.OCCT test at 2.8Ghz and it only got up to 44c.
Room temp is about 76f.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts