Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an old freezer, do you think it's possible to make a phase change unit out of it? I know basics but I'm not much of an expert on this!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Freezers are meant to keep what's inside it at a certain temperature, and because the food doesn't emit heat it's possible to do without having it constantly cooling the food. However a CPU does emit heat so the freezer would die in less then a day.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Freezer's pump is half-duty cycle. Meaning if running all the time it will burn out.

However, a window AC unit can be converted to a phase change unit.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Especially with good rotary compressor inside

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendaryC
View Post

Freezers are meant to keep what's inside it at a certain temperature, and because the food doesn't emit heat it's possible to do without having it constantly cooling the food. However a CPU does emit heat so the freezer would die in less then a day.

And you know what freezer compressor is inside right?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Also, I was under the impression that one of the primary advantages of a rotary (as applies to our usage) is that it's much quieter than a piston type compressor. jes/no...??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Depends on the compressor and pressures, a higher compression ratio (high side pressure absolute / low side pressure absolute) will make most compressors louder.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You cant use fridge/freezer compressors in SS units. Only AC ones.

For the same reason that pc's can't be cooled in a fridge. The compressers in them are not meant to be "always on" The compressors in them only turn on when the temp gets too warm in them; therefore it would burn out in a few days

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't read the thread there Starbuck.
Mind telling us what makes a AC compressor different then a fridge one? You seem convinced.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflexive View Post
I'm assuming you didn't read the thread there Starbuck.
Mind telling us what makes a AC compressor different then a fridge one? You seem convinced.
Well like I said in the pm, I'm not gonna argue with a Hvac teh.

Was only going on what I was told

1 - 12 of 12 Posts