Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all. i have had various issues with my PC for a long time. freezing, crashing, and now something new, a game, or FB will just suddenly go blank. where should i start to try to find the cause(s) of this instability?

updated: i have just reset my pagefile.sys which was probably set too low. seems to have corrected the 'new' issue that started after i reduced the size of the pagefile last night.

so now i am still left with the other issues i have always had. my PC will not auto boot to the HD (SSD) , i have to press F8 to tget to the Boot menu. if i don't do that i get an error and a page that says i need to reinstall windows. i amsorry i can't be more technical about it, i am a bit out of my depth with this side of things.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
which specs do you need ?

update, i have now moved the pagefile.sys from my C/: (60GB) to my F/: (600GB)

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
Download Memtest86 and test your RAM and download Hard Drive Sentinel and see what state your drive(s) are in
Also like it was said more specs please everything in the machine including the PSU

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL :mad:

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
Sounds like it could be a problem with RAM so download Memtest86 to a USB device and make it bootable and then go into your BIOS and boot from the USB and then test your RAM

Its going to take about 3 and half hours if you have 16 GB of RAM or 7 hours if you have 32 GB of RAM
If the test reports errors take one of the RAM out if you have two and see if errors stop

Also if the PSU you have is that HX520 you should replace it
Its a model from 2006

• Rep+
Reactions: bicolormoth

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks. i have run out of time for now. will have to try it next weekend when i am home from work again (y)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
just ran the windows ram test. got issues. see pic.

i also ran Belarc, says i need an update, which is 'critical' . . .? see pic.

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
just ran the windows ram test. got issues. see pic.

i also ran Belarc, says i need an update, which is 'critical' . . .? see pic.
Your RAM is messed up and you need to stop using the PC because every time it crashes or BSOD it corrupt files in the OS and any file you had in use when it crashed
I found that out when i had to replace broken RAM the OS was messed up beyond repair and i had to re-install the OS

• Rep+
Reactions: fray_bentos

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your RAM is messed up and you need to stop using the PC because every time it crashes or BSOD it corrupt files in the OS and any file you had in use when it crashed
I found that out when i had to replace broken RAM the OS was messed up beyond repair and i had to re-install the OS

so i need to get new RAM ?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
so i need to get new RAM ?
Yes and since its DDR3 you need to go digging on Ebay or other such sites since new DDR3 has not been made in years
Maybe you should consider throwing that old PC out and building a new one

If you keep using the old PC with bad RAM its going to get so corrupted that its going to become completely useless it wont even be be able to boot in the OS or maybe even turn on anymore

That PC is on its last dying breath

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes and since its DDR3 you need to go digging on Ebay or other such sites since new DDR3 has not been made in years
Maybe you should consider throwing that old PC out and building a new one

If you keep using the old PC with bad RAM its going to get so corrupted that its going to become completely useless it wont even be be able to boot in the OS or maybe even turn on anymore

That PC is on its last dying breath
can you recommend me a new build ?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
can you recommend me a new build ?
I cant if you dont have a budget and i dont even know your location it shows a UK flag under your username but you could be using a VPN for all i know
If you have a budget and you can tell us what you will be using the machine for or want to use it for we can help you out

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cant if you dont have a budget and i dont even know your location it shows a UK flag under your username but you could be using a VPN for all i know
If you have a budget and you can tell us what you will be using the machine for or want to use it for we can help you out
i am in UK. i need a PC that will happily run a few games like World of Tanks and some FB games. plus the usual Office and home entertainment stuff. nothing mega flashy. I would be ha[ppy to re-use my Corsair ATX case. budget would have to be £500- £1000.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
i am in UK. i need a PC that will happily run a few games like World of Tanks and some FB games. plus the usual Office and home entertainment stuff. nothing mega flashy. I would be ha[ppy to re-use my Corsair ATX case. budget would have to be £500- £1000.
For just under £1000 i would pick these parts

You could re-use your old GPU if you think £330 for a new GPU is too much

You can also drop down to the 650 watt Focus GX and still have more than enough power

The Super Flower Leadex III is just as good and a little bit cheaper but its not in stock

The 500 GB version of the SSD is £47 cheaper if you think 500 GB is enough

I am not sure if the CPU comes with a cooler or not but you could maybe save the £44 for the cooler if the CPU does come with a cooler

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
this is my current PSU: Corsair VX550W PSU | bit-tech.net no idea if it could be used with the MSi above tomohawk above .

i was hoping to re-use my Intel i5-2500 which is socket LGA1155 . is this now an obsolete socket type ?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
this is my current PSU: Corsair VX550W PSU | bit-tech.net no idea if it could be used with the MSi above tomohawk above .

i was hoping to re-use my Intel i5-2500 which is socket LGA1155 . is this now an obsolete socket type ?
LGA 1155 is just as dead as the dodo so the only place you are going to find motherboards are on places like Ebay and thats not worth your time and money
You should not re-use the PSU its 15 years old model and has very little if any compatibility with many modern power saving and sleep mode standards

it also has very low efficiency which means it wastes a lot of power that is turned to heat so not only does it heat up the PC it also cost more to run and with prices on power going up all over the world that old PSU is going to cost you more in the long run than a brand new PSU would

That is if the PSU can even last all that long most its actually rare to see a PSU that old still working
The PSU is the one place you should NOT trying to save money

You can re-use your old GPU and case if you want but none of the other parts are worth trying to re-use

• Rep+
1 - 20 of 44 Posts