Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ok, it certainly looks like my old rig has had its day then. i just didn't realise how far gone it was :D

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
ok, it certainly looks like my old rig has had its day then. i just didn't realise how far gone it was :D
LGA 1155 which is what your 2500 uses was replaced by 1156 then 1150 then 1151 then 1200 and now we are on 1700 thats how old it is
None of those are compatible with each other so finding DDR3 RAM and a LGA 1155 motherboard is more trouble than its worth

How old is that PC at least 10 years i think?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
LGA 1155 which is what your 2500 uses was replaced by 1156 then 1150 then 1151 then 1200 and now we are on 1700 thats how old it is
None of those are compatible with each other so finding DDR3 RAM and a LGA 1155 motherboard is more trouble than its worth

How old is that PC at least 10 years i think?
originally way more than 10 yrs old. i am not sure which rebuild it is at now as there have been at least 4 or 5. , but it was last upgraded 2 yrs ago. i guess it has reached its upgrade limit. :p
so many architecture changes seem to have happened and left me in the dark ages,. lol

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
originally way more than 10 yrs old. i am not sure which rebuild it is at now as there have been at least 4 or 5. , but it was last upgraded 2 yrs ago. i guess it has reached its upgrade limit. :p
so many architecture changes seem to have happened and left me in the dark ages,. lol
The SSD i picked for you is an NVME SSD if you know what that is?
If you dont its an SSD you mount in the motherboard M.2 slot and it runs on the CPU´s PCI-E lanes which give it much much higher bandwidth

Not that there is all that much software that is actually much faster but one great thing about NVME is you get rid of SATA data and power cables

Also the CPU i picked is a 6 core CPU vs your old CPU that has 4 cores

• Rep+
Reactions: bicolormoth

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
my mind is now blown o_O

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
my mind is now blown o_O
The WD Blue is one of the cheapest NVME drives i could find its not even all that fast but something like Seagate Firecuda 530 is way overkill for your needs and its over £100 for even the 500 GB model

Also the RAM i picked out for you is a 16 GB kit and i think you had 8 GB?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The WD Blue is one of the cheapest NVME drives i could find its not even all that fast but something like Seagate Firecuda 530 is way overkill for your needs and its over £100 for even the 500 GB model

Also the RAM i picked out for you is a 16 GB kit and i think you had 8 GB?
i have 16Gb RAM now, but it is a bit poorly. definitely enough RAM though for my needs

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
i have 16Gb RAM now, but it is a bit poorly. definitely enough RAM though for my needs
16 GB is still fine for most things but you will be going from 2133 MHz DDR3 to 3600 MHz DDR4

You could save a little bit of money by going with 3200 MHz DDR4 but that would also be slower in games so i dont think thats where you should try and save money unless you are on a super tight budget

Also like i said if you missed it you are going from 4 to 6 cores with a AMD 5600
I have not been keeping up with the Intel stuff at all which is why i picked AMD for you and also i think they are better value

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
16 GB is still fine for most things but you will be going from 2133 MHz DDR3 to 3600 MHz DDR4

You could save a little bit of money by going with 3200 MHz DDR4 but that would also be slower in games so i dont think thats where you should try and save money unless you are on a super tight budget

Also like i said if you missed it you are going from 4 to 6 cores with a AMD 5600
I have not been keeping up with the Intel stuff at all which is why i picked AMD for you and also i think they are better value

i am not fixed on intel, it just happens to be where i ended up. AMD looks good to me. as long as it works i'm happy.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
In any case when you consider how old some of those parts are you should not feel bad they are dying they have had a very long life and most PC´s dont last that long
Yes its going to cost you money for a new PC but its also new which means it might last you another 10+ years

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
In any case when you consider how old some of those parts are you should not feel bad they are dying they have had a very long life and most PC´s dont last that long
Yes its going to cost you money for a new PC but its also new which means it might last you another 10+ years
agreed, i have definitley had my moneys worth from my previous build(s) , i guess it is time to move on. things are a lot different now than 10-15 years ago, so it iwll be interesting to build a new PC now.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
agreed, i have definitley had my moneys worth from my previous build(s) , i guess it is time to move on. things are a lot different now than 10-15 years ago, so it iwll be interesting to build a new PC now.
Note that AMD still uses the old style of CPU´s where the pins are on the CPU and not the motherboard
They will be switching to an LGA style socket like Intel with the new AM5 later this year

Also if you have any questions feel free to ask if you have been away for as long as you said you have there might be stuff you find confusing

• Rep+
Reactions: bicolormoth

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Note that AMD still uses the old style of CPU´s where the pins are on the CPU and not the motherboard
They will be switching to an LGA style socket like Intel with the new AM5 later this year

Also if you have any questions feel free to ask if you have been away for as long as you said you have there might be stuff you find confusing
i will definitely be bending your ear if i get stuck. i will also keep the forum up to date on my new build. thanks for your help so far, it has really helped to give me a starting point.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
i will definitely be bending your ear if i get stuck. i will also keep the forum up to date on my new build. thanks for your help so far, it has really helped to give me a starting point.
Almost forgot but you might want to to buy some new fans if you still use the old fans that came with your case
These are pretty cheap without being bad

They also come in 140mm versions if your case has room for 140mm fans

Dont know how many fans can fit in your case but something like 3-4 is more than enough
Those fans are PWM fans which means you can control them via the motherboard software so you can set up a fan curve to your own liking

·
Registered
503 Posts
Out of interest, what case are you currently using @bicolormoth ? Just to make sure it's not a hotbox, as there are good cases for not much money now that focus on airflow rather then those from 'back in the days'. New build suggestion is prudent as it has reached beyond EOL, can't feel bad about 10+ years of usage do :cool:

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Out of interest, what case are you currently using @bicolormoth ? Just to make sure it's not a hotbox, as there are good cases for not much money now that focus on airflow rather then those from 'back in the days'. New build suggestion is prudent as it has reached beyond EOL, can't feel bad about 10+ years of usage do :cool:
my case is a Corsair ATX , but no idea of the model. it is a very plain design.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
my case is a Corsair ATX , but no idea of the model. it is a very plain design.
If you dont know what it is take a picture of it we can probably find it by looking on google
Unless it has really bad air flow i dont think you should replace it unless you really want to

The Phanteks P400A for around £75 is a pretty good case that dont cost a ton of money if you do want to spend the money for a new case

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
its a co
its a Corsair ATX, no idea of the model. looks the same as this one: Corsair 110Q Quiet Mid Tower PC Gaming Case

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
Its not a 110Q yours has bays for 5,25 devices the 110Q does not
I think what you have is a Carbide Series 100r and i have posted pictures of that below

Computer hardware Electronic device Technology Font Computer component

Rectangle Window Room Machine Electric blue

Rectangle Output device Computer monitor accessory Display device Camera accessory

Mobile phone Communication Device Home appliance Rectangle Portable communications device

Output device Electronic device Gadget Machine Multimedia

21 - 40 of 44 Posts