Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ran Memtest86+ and had no errors so ram is not it. Looking for other ideas everything is stock right now With my phenom 940. I can push it up to 3.5 and it passes prime for a loop and I quit and surf the net and then it will freeze. Can the cpu just cuase a freeze like this or no? The motherboard I did send to ASUS cuz it was acting up with crashes and restarts and they sent it back saying it was working fine. Im kinda thinking its the motherboard but I want to rule out the cpu first. I'm guess VGA could not just freeze me up like this it would just go black or something. Anyways any idea would be great for me to try. thanks again guys!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope all temps are fine and psu dont drop any under load on 12Vrail. In cpuz underfull load my Vcore gos up so psu cant be problem. Need some more ideas guys would the cpu do this or just not work. Could it be hard drive its a 2006 rapter that the OP is on but when i test it it all comes out good.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
The chipsets on the mobo might be getting too hot. What are your NB and SB temps? What about the PWM temps?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im only on one 4870 right now to fined out this problem and I have tryed both cards happens on both. Chipset is what I think is the problem before I sent this asus board in for RMA the chipset cooler got so hot it would burn my finger if i just set it on there for a sec. They sent the MB back saying nothing was wrong with it at all but im sure they did not run it long enough to get it really hot. It does not seem to get to hot it hits 55C last time I looked under 1.4V to hold my overclock. I asked around here and ever one said it was fine. So I dont know I just dont want to go buy another Motherboard and fined out its the cpu or something.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess when i get home im going to try and put my old 9850 in and see if i can get it to freeze if it does them i guess its the MB

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr600 View Post
Well I guess when i get home im going to try and put my old 9850 in and see if i can get it to freeze if it does them i guess its the MB
Cbr600, that's one way to rule out your processor. Good job

For checking the rails on your power supply you'll need to use a multimeter. Software monitoring won't be as accurate and it may even actually display false readings. Here is a guide that explains on how to check the rails (12v, 3.3v, 5v) on a PSU to make sure they are within spec: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/guide...ing-guide.html.

Just to clarify, you are running everything at stock correct? I'm assuming you cleared your CMOS after you started overclocking?

Have you tried a completely different video card such as a lower end PCIe or PCI card? The 48xx series cards run a little warm. Perhaps your 4870 may be overheating at times. What are the idle temps currently on your 4870?

To rule out your drive perform a full surface scan. This procedure will look for bad sectors on the drive. Download the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility and burn the .iso to a CD. Boot straight to the CD. You should be provided with a few options. Choose the option that performs a full scan of the drive. This diagnostic utility can be downloaded by going here: http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...sid=30&lang=en (2.10MB download).

Have you also considered your OS being the culprit? Perhaps a recently installed application may be causing the freezes? A window update? Have you checked the event viewer to confirm any windows errors? You can access the event viewer quickly by doing Windows+R and typing in, "eventvwr.msc" [Enter].

There are several things to consider first before blaming the board. If Asus came back and said there was nothing wrong with the board then it may be completely fine.

Let us know

Good luck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've been having this problem also.I thought it was the graphics drivers since I was constantly getting the pop up in Vista about the driver recovering and getting the freezing issue.I finnaly figured out that it was my NB.Normaly idles in the low 60c but gets into the 70s under load.Not enough to shut it down but enough to freek out the drivers.I ran by a local puter store today and picked up an el cheapo Coolmaster socket A heatsink and fan.Got that puppy home and stripped the 60mm fan off of it and angled it at my NB heatsink and mounted it with 1 screw(actually looks pretty damn good).Now I load the NB @55c under IBT and Fur Rendering.I also put a sensor on it and linked it to the fan so it only spins up under load and keeps the noise down.Something to think about.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I have two 4870s and a 9600gt it freezes with any of them in there. I did check the psu like you said everything checks out. I will try the sector program tonight to check the rapter make sure nothing is bad in there. The funny thing is I went home last night and played crysis and surfed the net for hours and no freeze so who nos kinda pissing me off!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr600
View Post

I will try the sector program tonight to check the rapter make sure nothing is bad in there. The funny thing is I went home last night and played crysis and surfed the net for hours and no freeze so who nos kinda pissing me off!!!!

Cbr600, did you try your 9850 processor yet?

Let us know how the surface scan goes. I was sort of experiencing the same issues when my Raptor failed. I was getting random freezes/lockups ect. I performed a diagnostic on the drive and it turned out I had some bad sectors. A simple RMA returned a working (recertified) drive.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts