Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the full retail version of Windows 10 Pro and did a fresh Win10 Pro install a few weeks ago on a new build and it went fine. It was fast, responsive, and had no issues.

I switched out the motherboard and decided to reinstall Win10 Pro. Everything seems super laggy now.
Even in the Windows Settings section, it would freeze sometimes or take a few seconds to load simple things like the system page of the PC.
On my outdated build, Win10 settings are super snappy and fast.
The Microsoft Edge browser would also freeze sometimes sayings the website is not responding when I was just trying to download Chrome and other programs.

Troubleshooting I did:
Reinstalled WIn10 a few times
Waited for Win10 to download updates
Manually installed drivers from Asus motherboard website
Updated graphics driver
Updated BIOS

Things I found out:

Lucky I imaged the disk before reinstalling Win10 the second time - so I was able to backup my previous fresh install on my old motherboard.
Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I wanted to see if it was faster and I was correct. The first install is faster, snapper, and more responsive.
I was also able to just switch out the motherboard and boot Win10 (originally installed on the first motherboarrd) on a different motherboard with no problem. I thought I would have driver problems, plus they say it is best to reinstall Win10 with a new motherboard.
Then I wanted to see if the motherboard was the problem, so I reinstalled WIn10 on the FIRST motherboard to see if I would have the same problems with a fresh install. And I did.
Reinstalling Win10 again, on the first motherboard, had the same problems I originally had reinstalling on the second motherboard. Laggy, slow settings navigation, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
Intel 8700k
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe
1st motherboarrdd Asus Z370-A Prime, the second board is a Asus Z370 Strix-E
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 16GB

·
waifu for lifu
11,542 Posts
Are you running on the latest bios?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

Are you running on the latest bios?
I forgot to add that.
Yes - I updated to the lastest BIOS.
But I am thinking it is not related to the motherboard since I had the same problem with reinstalling on the first motherboard.

·
waifu for lifu
11,542 Posts
Check the updates for your ssd. Last i hear the 960 had some errors regarding its updates.

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

Check the updates for your ssd. Last i hear the 960 had some errors regarding its updates.
^^ I second that.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked and updated the SSD drivers, didn't fix it.
I found Microsoft Edge to be almost unusable with my fresh install though.
When navigating through settings I see:
Service Host : State Repository Service
uses about 20% CPU usage when watching the resources for simple tasks.
I think something is wrong with my fresh Win10 Pro installs.
Does Microsoft offer refunds on retail purchases?

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Did you change your power options yet? Because it reverts to "Balanced"...on a fresh install. Also you will just have "generic" drivers so you need to go manufacturer to get the best ones.
Change power option to Max...now nothing throttles. (wink)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts