Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am an old newby. I am a retired airline pilot and have taken up building computers. I thought I was doing it right, but obviously I missed something and fried my processor. I am not yet 100% sure that it is fried but I could not get into the bios until I replaced it. I will now try it in another build and see if it really is toast. Fortunately I had another replacement on hand. The temp never got over 75 degrees celcius, but I am thinking that that temp is too high. It must be. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. It is really great to find this site and all the resources that are here.. Cheers, cappycappy53

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,991 Posts
75 for the 2600K is safe. What core voltage did you have it up to?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappycappy53 View Post

I have some doubts at this point what voltage is what, but the cpu voltage was 1.36
That's safe too. Maybe the overclock was way too unstable to even get into the BIOS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was trying for 4.8 and it booted OK but it crashed after I ran LIN-X for about 20 minutes and then would not boot again.....couldn't even get into the BIOS

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,991 Posts
This may seem irrelevant, but what do you have for a power supply? What's the make and model?

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Quote:

On my board Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z it is supposed to reset to default after a crash
That hardly never works right tho reset bios and check the cpu again, volts and temps were both in limits so either cpu is still good or you just ended up with a lemon that probly would of died under stock conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enermax Galaxy 1000W and I reset everything except I did not remove the battery. The new cpu booted just fine. I have been using this old cpu for over 6 months with the auto O/C at 4.6 with no problems at all. Its a mystery to me.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,991 Posts
Quote:

Enermax Galaxy 1000W and I reset everything except I did not remove the battery. The new cpu booted just fine. I have been using this old cpu for over 6 months with the auto O/C at 4.6 with no problems at all. Its a mystery to me.
I recommend that you keep trying with the old CPU.

I thought that maybe the PSU was a low-quality unit, but I believe the Galaxy series is a quality line of PSUs, so that's not the culprit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I think the psu is pretty good. I will try the old cpu again, but I am time limited for a week or so. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that encourages me to keep trying then. I thought my temp had gone too high, but obviously it hasn't. I am using the water cooling that came with my old Kandalf.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,991 Posts
Yeah, like I said the temps and volts are still very safe.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
your board have post code LED near the RAM slots in the top right corner. does it hang on a certin code when you try and boot and if so what is the code and its meaning? although my board is different company, i had an issue where it would hang at which was 62 - Installation of the PCH Runtime Services... turned out after testing in another system the cpu (2600k) was dead.

edit wrong code i had.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:

Mine hangs at 64 which is "CPU DXE Initialization is started"
so its stuck in the Driver eXecution Environment (DXE) Phase. this could be that one of the CPU's modules is dead or a mobo problem. i guess as mentioned by yourself and others, try in another mobo and go from thier. you could even try to reset CMOS as well.

more info here on the phases.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=PI_Boot_Flow

still my best guess is probably th CPU has died on you since the code is CPU module specific. interested to see how you go and goodluck
smile.gif

Quote:
64 - CPU DXE initialization (CPU module specific)
65 - CPU DXE initialization (CPU module specific)
66 - CPU DXE initialization (CPU module specific)
67 - CPU DXE initialization (CPU module specific))
[edit]
you can also try testing your RAM indidually in different slots

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all of you for your time and suggestions. I will report back with the results of trying it in my Asus P8Z68 in about a week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts