Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my new 580 somehow managed to fry itself, i am the angriest person in the world right now:mad:
I was doing a benchmark for Crysis for a friend to see what sort of fps and so on for a friend who wanted to know how the 580 would perform with this game, so i started it up and left it running, 5 mins later, Bang, computer was off and firstly i thought it was a power problem.
But after close inspection i realised the worst:eek:
The card was sooo hot it could melt the compements inside my computer, i couldnt touch it for at least an hour.
There was black marks on the pcb which to me indicate the pcb is blown, at this stage i felt like getting a hammer and taking my anger out on the card but what good would that do.
So i do not know how this managed to happen and i was benching it at it highest settings but surely this isnt the fault for it being fried.
Maybe it was an overheat problem as the card was like a kettle when its boiled or it could have been a dodgy card, i dont know so just wondering if anyone had any idea as too why this happened?
Sending the card back for a replacement today.
Rest of my components are ok as i put my 5970 in and all is good which is such a relief as i thought it might have done some other damage.
Lesson learned, i am never doing any benchmarking for anyone ever again!!!

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdner;11969270
Lesson learned, i am never doing any benchmarking for anyone ever again!!!
That's not really it. It was probably a bad fan, though i suspect this is a troll post. You should know that once temps hit 104*c the fan turns up to 100%, and if it can't keep temps down the core shuts itself. Unless you deliberately tried to kill it or it had a faulty fan, it shouldn't have gotten that hot. Just RMA it.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
They will RMA it.

·
Performance is the bible
7,232 Posts
This is odd.

The 580 should shut itself off when it goes over the 85c as far as I have seen from my own cards.

If it didn't, it might be a melfunction or a bios error.

RMA as "holy moly my card stopped working in the middle of a game and I never overclocked it and never did harm and faul and paul and its all your fault and I want a new card!" thingy.

Good luck:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi3l;11969322
... i suspect this is a troll post.
This ^^

troll_radar.png

OP, we want pictures of this carnage or you will forever be condemned to the annals of trolldom!
yessir.gif

·
Performance is the bible
7,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjryjo;11969405
Because the card is unlikely to fail in that manner, and I guess it doesn't help that he has a low post count/rep.
Why?

I had a 5970 OC from sapphire which died a week after getting it.

After several 3dmark vantage runs, the card did a seppuku and no longer work.

It can happen with a fauly card with a bad capacitor, or very bad air flow case to match.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont understand and get people who say "troll" detected and all this crappy talk. So you think i am making this up just for a laugh??? Very nice of you who are saying so, thanks for making me feel welcome here! Anyways the card is on its way back to overclockers for a new one so i cant take any pics of it plus it never crossed my mind to as i wanted to get it posted back to them before the weekend. Maybe it was a fan issue or else it was just plain bad luck that i got a faulty card. Now why would i try it kill the card??? Thats just stupid now, i only have it 1 week.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdner;11969270
The card was sooo hot it could melt the compements inside my computer, i couldnt touch it for at least an hour.
There was black marks on the pcb which to me indicate the pcb is blown, at this stage i felt like getting a hammer and taking my anger out on the card...
I dunno man, last time I checked PCB's don't "blow", components don't stay hot to the touch for "at least an hour", and wanting to take a hammer to $500+ computer components that have a warranty just reeks of troll to me (or someone who is extremely immature).

You's trollin'??
confused.gif

I mean, if not, sorry for your luck and all, but... yeah.

Take some pictures when you get a chance. I'd like to see this carnage you speak of.

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
A piece of plastic and metal will dissipate heat into the air at a rate where the card would be near room temperature after an hour.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdner;11969457
I dont understand and get people who say "troll" detected and all this crappy talk. So you think i am making this up just for a laugh??? Very nice of you who are saying so, thanks for making me feel welcome here! Anyways the card is on its way back to overclockers for a new one so i cant take any pics of it plus it never crossed my mind to as i wanted to get it posted back to them before the weekend. Maybe it was a fan issue or else it was just plain bad luck that i got a faulty card. Now why would i try it kill the card??? Thats just stupid now, i only have it 1 week.
Unfortunately there are a few of us that do post some ridiculous stuff for laughs, and while you may not be doing so, some will recognize a post like this as a joke, given the logic of how the card failed and it's apparent safety protocol.

I hope you get a working card soon. I hope you realize, though, that running a benchmark for a friend is not the reason for this problem, it was simply the catalyst.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
i know the op and he is new here and not used to the way things are done like pics but one thing hes not and thats a troll.
hes a nice lad that knows his stuff but maybe made the mistake of leaving a bench marking session un attended so lets cut him some slack ppl.

ps pics would have been nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As Maxextz said im not a ******* troll people, takes one to know one!! I got some info on as to why the card fried on me, it sounds like i burned up the vrm.
the middle row top middle chip on the board.
the one that has issues if the votlage is changed between nvidia inspector or after burner. and allot of times if it just shuts off and reboots. best to stop the reboot or the card gets fried because it's being supplied to much voltage at boot up.

or it got fried on the last lock up and makes the card...history.... and thats what happened mine. too much voltage being supplied and when i did the benching i did leave it unattended for a few mins which was my mistake as i had to see who was at my door so i blame the delivery driver of my watercooling bits for this! Kidding its my fault and i didnt realise it was bein supplied with too much voltage as i did tweak it a little a few days ago but thought i put it back to default, anyways i just meant in my earlier post that i would love to take my anger out on it but i wouldnt really now, everyone would be the same if there gtx580 got fried on them when they only have over a week.

·
Graphics Junkie
995 Posts
Does EVGA still sell heatsinks? I remember they sold GTX 480 heatsinks but I don't see any on their site. It's rare but sometimes the fan does get stuck..I remember I bought a GTX 480 heatsink back in the day to replace the stock one. Anyone have a link to the 580 heatsinks if it exists?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.