Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component
Product Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Audio equipment
Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Audio equipment Electronic instrument

Gigabyte G1 980 ti

Bios mod sent to hard. Pretty sure just the power side was damaged, Core was sitting at 62c when powered off under full load however. Should i fix, (I'm not entirely confident i can) (have a donor 980 if it has required donor parts.) Or is their someone willing to give it a shot?
or can point me in the right direction to get correct replacement?
Can provide better photos if needed in about 90-120mins

s

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Forgive me but I don't see it. What was "fried?" Does it power back up after the shut down?

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Even if you replace all those missing capacitors that might not fix the problem. It could be the power MOSFET's or the switching-driver IC's. I think those would require surface mount soldering work. I don't know if it's possible to buy those parts at the small quantities you would be needing either. The electronics tech who fixed my Gigabyte Gaming OC 1080ti said I was lucky it was just a de-soldered transistor that needed to be re-soldered and a missing cap because some of the VRM circuitry chips he said he couldn't order anywhere.

You have my sympathies for this happening to you in the midst of the GPUpocalypse.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The controller chips have a lot of stuff to look for problems, and try to shutdown right away, so depending on what fried, the rest of it could be fine. Mosfets don't usually cost that much. But trying to find the proper values of fried R's and C's can be pretty hard, also can be a lot of work to find the brunt part.

Too many people are trying to fix them, the price of broken GPU's on ebay is crazy, and has been even before this current nightmare for gamers.

I have 1 broken GPU. So far I'm having a hard time mapping what connects to what.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts