Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need you guys help to clear up a dispute between me and my friend. He just bought a new pentium d 920 and put it in his rig. BUT, his PSU doesn't have a P8 plug, only a P4, so that's what he's been using.... I told him that's bad news and he may end up damaging the CPU, he says its fine since it boots and he hasn't had any problems yet.

So who, I ask, is right, or is it neither of us?

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whodie

OK, I need you guys help to clear up a dispute between me and my friend. He just bought a new pentium d 920 and put it in his rig. BUT, his PSU doesn't have a P8 plug, only a P4, so that's what he's been using.... I told him that's bad news and he may end up damaging the CPU, he says its fine since it boots and he hasn't had any problems yet.

So who, I ask, is right, or is it neither of us?

Ooops!!!

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whodie

Non-dual cores require a 4 prong plug for the motherboard, the dual cores use an 8 prong plug (P4, P8)

Not exactly....
It is the mb that requires it if it is built for it. It will run fine as long as he is not overclocking a lot or running sli high end vid cards. The extra 4 pins help supply 12v to various places on the mb.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa

Not exactly....
It is the mb that requires it if it is built for it. It will run fine as long as he is not overclocking a lot or running sli high end vid cards. The extra 4 pins help supply 12v to various places on the mb.

That makes perfect sense to be honest I mena i guess Dual cores do need a little extra power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts