Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend was planning on building himself a computer (he's never done it before so he doesn't know a ton about it yet) but his dad gave him a prebuilt computer that he had purchased a while ago. Here's a link to the computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0Phenom%209550. Now I'm a proponent of selling that computer and then building one anyway but my friend would like to salvage it if possible. It's pretty decent all around except it has a 9100 video card (yes I know the quality of the parts in a pre-built computer is lower but he doesn't care that much). He would like to get a new video card (and obviously a new power supply in the process). I've looked in the case and it has awful air flow and I doubt he could fit any GTX 200 series and I wonder if a 9800 GT wouldn't disrupt the airflow enough that the computer would fry. I'm trying to tell him he needs a new case so he can at least put all the parts in that and then his computer won't fry. What do yall think? Do you think his computer would fry without a new case? Is it unsalvageable?

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
No part of it is decent really. The HDD and RAM might be reusable but the best course of action is to sell the thing and buy entirely custom. Believe me, I was having a similar problem myself (had an HP x2 5200 rig), and the smartest thing I ever did was scrap it and buy a good quality custom parts. HP cases are terribly cramped and likely have horrendous airflow. There's just nothing in that PC that is good quality at all.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
yea sell that thing its easier to sell a full system and you can probably get alot better parts considering the pre-builts normally sell for way more than they are worth component wise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts