Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to spend ~$2k with monitor.

Note on monitor: The desk might be a bit small, so we looked at ~22" with the best dot pitch. Seems only 21.5" 1080P's fit the bill.

Doing a build for a friend, but I have no experience with i7's + X58 (did a P55 build for another friend). He's looking for it to last about 3 years and he won't overclock. He will mainly use this computer for gaming and streaming media to his Xbox.

Will there be any issues with the parts I chose? I looked up QVL's and compatibility problems, and they should be clear. Also, will the P183 cool fine? I'm worried about having a GTX 480 in there. Any recommendations on cases would be great.

Anyway, here's the list of stuff.

Antec P183
Asus P6X58D-E
Corsair HX850 (chosen for 7 year warranty)
Core i7 930
EVGA GTX 480
2 x 6GB G.Skill NQs
2 x Samsung 1TB F3
Asus 21.5" 1080p
Asus Xonar DX PCI-E

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That power supply is a bit much for 1 gpu, even the GTX 480. Especially so if we wont be overclocking. Go with the 750hx. The GTX 480 in that case my pose a bit of a problem, the only reason I say this is because it seems you're friend doesn't know much about hardware; with such a powerful, and hot card, I'd be monitoring it's temps all the time. I consider it an enthusiast level card that is going to require a case with nice airflow and some technical know-how for monitoring it.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,311 Posts
The Antec P183 is a quiet case but it has poor airflow and the idea to have a door to cover the two 120mm fans is a terrible idea. I should of got a Silverstone FT02 instead
Also do you have a MicroCenter near you?

Edit: 12GB of ram is useless for gaming.

$200 for a core i7 930 but it's in Long Island http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0331303

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smykster
View Post

That power supply is a bit much for 1 gpu, even the GTX 480. Especially so if we wont be overclocking. Go with the 750hx. The GTX 480 in that case my pose a bit of a problem, the only reason I say this is because it seems you're friend doesn't know much about hardware; with such a powerful, and hot card, I'd be monitoring it's temps all the time. I consider it an enthusiast level card that is going to require a case with nice airflow and some technical know-how for monitoring it.

I thought the 850 was a better idea because we might add another GTX 480 to it. The temperature monitoring issue is something I did not think of, and having two in the "fridge" would be even worse.

Seems a GTX 470 would do fine at the resolution anyway. Perhaps that or a 5870 is in order?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer
View Post

The Antec P183 is a quiet case but it has poor airflow and the idea to have a door to cover the two 120mm fans is a terrible idea. I should of got a Silverstone FT02 instead
Aldo do you have a MicroCenter near you?

Unfortunately no, so I can't grab those deals. How good of a case is that for cooling? He gave me this list of priorities for the case

1) Performance/Cooling
2) Longevity
3) His non-window/LED self respect

Edit: I understand 12GB is useless for gaming, but he wants it because it's "future-proof". He has the budget, so why not?

Thanks for the responses so far

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Also do you have a MicroCenter near you?

Edit: 12GB of ram is useless for gaming.

$200 for a core i7 930 but it's in Long Island http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0331303

Agreed, 12gb is overkill for sure. Save a few hundred bucks there too.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,311 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by numlock2.0
View Post

I thought the 850 was a better idea because we might add another GTX 480 to it. The temperature monitoring issue is something I did not think of, and having two in the "fridge" would be even worse.

Seems a GTX 470 would do fine at the resolution anyway. Perhaps that or a 5870 is in order?

Unfortunately no, so I can't grab those deals. How good of a case is that for cooling? He gave me this list of priorities for the case

1) Performance/Cooling
2) Longevity
3) His non-window/LED self respect

Thanks for the responses so far

I love the GTX 480 and nvidia, I have no alliegance to either, but in this day the GTX 480 again is a power house but come at a cost of heat and power. (I'd still love to have one) For your friend, a 5870 might be in order to keep his power consumption down and computer room a little cooler.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Also you might as well get the ASUS P6X58D Premium it's only $3 more because of the 10% promo. I think this would be a lot better case and I'll get you a system togather in a few minutes http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-162-_-Product
That is quite the expensive case, is something like that worth it? Personally I've only dealt with a $60 Cooler Master and I thought that was fine. I'm also unsure of that 90-degree rotation thing. I was looking at the Raven 2 but didn't like that rotation (it'd be weird for him)

Was unaware of the 10% off on the Premium, will add to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smykster View Post
I love the GTX 480 and nvidia, I have no alliegance to either, but in this day the GTX 480 again is a power house but come at a cost of heat and power. (I'd still love to have one) For your friend, a 5870 might be in order to keep his power consumption down and computer room a little cooler.
That is a great idea, will add it to the wishlist.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,311 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: numlock2.0

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

Core i7 930 + ASUS P6X58D-E - $495
2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 - $150
ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" - $$180
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 - $80
2x G-Skill 6GB - $300
Sapphire 5870 2GB - $500
Antec P183 - $150 (The Antec can easily handle a 5870 temps, thought your friend wanted a Nvidia card)

Total - $1,854.91
Grand Total - $1,874.70

He honestly doesn't care (he finds the fanboyism silly). Everything looks good, will be ordering soon hopefully. (Will probably get a 1GB 5870 though)

·
sudo apt install sl
8,311 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
8,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by numlock2.0
View Post

What about a GTX 470?

Will it be fine in the P183?

I'm going to try next week so I don't know yet.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, we ended up changing a lot of things

Here's the final list:

Lian Li P50
Corsair HX750
Asus P6X58D-E
Core i7 930
2x6GB G.skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 470