Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so basically my friend told me to put something together for him around $800 or so. He said that he just wants a general windows pc so that he can play games like Skyrim and Oblivion heavily modded for the time being. He said that upgrading will happen later down the road.

Here's the list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vTX8jy

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,857 Posts
There's little to no reason to get a Z series board with a locked SKU (except in fringe cases like OCing locked SKU Skylake chips). You could save some money going for a H310/B360 board.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,860 Posts
The Seasonic Foucs Plus gold is a better PSU then the G3 in the same price range
Not sure if the 8400 comes with a cooler or not but even if it does the stock cooler is crap

Get a Cryorig H7 its a decent budget cooler which is much better and more quiet then the stock cooler

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Seasonic Foucs Plus gold is a better PSU then the G3 in the same price range
Not sure if the 8400 comes with a cooler or not but even if it does the stock cooler is crap

Get a Cryorig H7 its a decent budget cooler which is much better and more quiet then the stock cooler

Why use a custom cooler when there will be no overclocking done?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,860 Posts
Why use a custom cooler when there will be no overclocking done?
Because the stock cooler is loud and not very capable of cooling during the summer which may result in a shorter life span of the CPU
$35 for a H7 is not a huge amount and its money well spent if you want a system that does not sound like the deck of an aircraft carrier during the summer

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because the stock cooler is loud and not very capable of cooling during the summer which may result in a shorter life span of the CPU
$35 for a H7 is not a huge amount and its money well spent if you want a system that does not sound like the deck of an aircraft carrier during the summer

Alright well what do you think of the list now? Should I consider Ryzen or is this perfect?

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Considering you can get an R5 2600 for less, there's no reason to consider the i5-8400.

Your parts list was around $950 so I tried to keep things as close to that as possible. Given the games mentioned, I think an RX 580 would be the better option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.45 @ Amazon)
Total: $1010.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-26 06:16 EDT-0400

If $1010 is untenable, drop the RAM to 8GB (saves ~$65), drop the SSD to 250 GB (saves $18), and/or get a cheaper case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts