Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The USB connectivity issue with my rig has been going on since my 3800X so over a year now. I get a device connected chime anytime I restart or cold boot my rig. The latest patch hasn't fixed this, however I don't know if it's intended to fix it. I'm not confident the USB issue will end up being fixed. I've seen people with the latest 1.2.0.2 AGESA say that it hasn't fixed their issue. My main rig doesn't have this issue with the same input devices, so with my lack of confidence in the USB 'Fix' AMD is administering through AGESA I'm considering jumping into the fire sorta speak with an Intel gaming rig. Strictly a gaming rig. My local Micro Center listed the 11900K for $619, then recently increased the price to $699. This morning it was listed for $619 so I put an order in for a reservation to buy the chip. I have a few days to go pick it up.

What are some good reasons to make the switch and what are some good reasons not to? I know it's still early for Rocket Lake but constantly losing in online games is making me look at my AMD rig and it's USB issue.

Thanks for your time.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
11900K is trash a waste of sand and an overpriced turd

The older 10900K is a far better CPU and so is your 3800x the 11900K is a huge downgrade compared

• Rep+
Reactions: MSC7

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
11900k is better than the 11700k, but not if you take into account performance per dollar. 11700k is ahead of it there by a long shot. If I were making a purchase decision based on price because I had limited cash to spend...I'd get the 11700k and put the savings towards a better GPU or a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive. If cash were limitless....I'd get the 11900k. Although even then....I'd also consider the 5950x. I ended up having the choice between the 2 and I went with the 11900k. For 4K gaming and with my setup, the 11900k is likely to be marginally ahead (we're still talking a couple percentage points here). But in multi threaded work....the 5950x (or 5900x) would blow it away.

Minus the issues you've been having....I'd probably recommend the AMD route. Even though I picked Intel. But if you're just looking at 8 core chips, whether you go AMD or Intel, you're not going to see much of a difference in performance. Few percentages one way or another. So it's not a huge issue. Whichever is cheaper is probably the best bet.

Just as a side note...most of the reviews about the 11900k being garbage are themselves garbage. It's not a bad chip. It's just an outdated node, and unfortunately just 8 core, and it's priced the same as the AMD 12 core chip. That's the real problem. The price for what you're getting. That hasn't prevented me from hitting a 5.4GHz boost clock on the chip and being entirely happy with it though.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts

From my experience playing around with z490 and z590 I would suggest 10900k or possible 11600k or 11700k. I have had multiple 10700k,10850k and a 11900k and the z590 cpu is fun because it is new, but I don't think it is worth the money. I just bought it to play with, I knew what I was getting from the early reviews. I was more interested in the mem oc part of z590.

If you do go with z590 CPU get a z590 mb. z490 mb and z590 CPU is sketchy right now. I have been using the 11900k in a z490 Apex and it works but Asus is much more up on their bios than others like MSI. I also have a msi z490 Unify and the last bios is from Feb so I know it would be a mess with the 11900k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm on AGESA 1.2.0.1 Patch A and the issue is resolved for me. The only device on my system that was affected by this was my Corsair mouse. My webcam , keyboard and other device never an issue. if you don't mind paying $600+ go 11900K, however a 10850k is hard to pass up right now on discount.

• Rep+
Reactions: OCmember

·
Expert pin bender
2,441 Posts
lol i have this issue the OP is stating on my intel x299. Not sure intel is the answer but who knows.

·
More Cores!
1,299 Posts
Is that a bug? I didn't even realize... I think I get that on my dang 6700K machine as well, I always thought it was normal for windows to lose my USB devices on boot. That being said, it would be a better idea to grab a 10900k, as it's just flat-out a better chip than the 11900k dumpster fire.

• Rep+
Reactions: menko2

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,751 Posts
The USB connectivity issue with my rig has been going on since my 3800X so over a year now. I get a device connected chime anytime I restart or cold boot my rig. The latest patch hasn't fixed this, however I don't know if it's intended to fix it. I'm not confident the USB issue will end up being fixed.
Unfortunately AMD has always had their problems with ongoing USB issues, either horrid designs delivered by all the AMD manufacturers or AMD couldn't give a toss at providing no support whatsoever, to the masses of fools that exist out there.

Have switched on over to my 10900K series with Z490 motherboard, sweet 24/7 reliability and all the USB ports work with all of my peripherals.

Sometimes you need to suffer the fools pushing junk hardware to really appreciate the Intel realm when it comes to 24/7 reliability, something you will never get with any AMD product.

Maybe why the business world has chosen the Intel side over many decades simply because of that vital fact of wanting functioning PC hardware to remain in business.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is that a bug? I didn't even realize... I think I get that on my dang 6700K machine as well, I always thought it was normal for windows to lose my USB devices on boot. That being said, it would be a better idea to grab a 10900k, as it's just flat-out a better chip than the 11900k dumpster fire.
I went from a z370-e with 8700k to a AMD x570 dark hero (i tried 5800x and 5900x).

I returned all the AMD system and ended up with a z590 HERO XIII and 10900k. Very happy with it. Stable overclock 5.1ghz and stable system overall.

I was planning for 11900k but...i basically game so I think I'll stick with the 10900k.

·
Premium Member
20,319 Posts
Unfortunately AMD has always had their problems with ongoing USB issues, either horrid designs delivered by all the AMD manufacturers or AMD couldn't give a toss at providing no support whatsoever, to the masses of fools that exist out there.

Have switched on over to my 10900K series with Z490 motherboard, sweet 24/7 reliability and all the USB ports work with all of my peripherals.

Sometimes you need to suffer the fools pushing junk hardware to really appreciate the Intel realm when it comes to 24/7 reliability, something you will never get with any AMD product.

Maybe why the business world has chosen the Intel side over many decades simply because of that vital fact of wanting functioning PC hardware to remain in business.
I have 4 Ryzen systems and luckily i don't get those issues.

·
High IQ Person
561 Posts
I have 4 Ryzen systems and luckily i don't get those issues.
Me neither, I guess we're not running scuffed chinese usb products

• Rep+
Reactions: Lionvibez

·
Not New to Overclock.net
4,817 Posts
ure case sound efi bcd issue

rebuild it

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are there any major issues with Rocket Lake, that are comparable to the AMD USB issue?

What is the fastest 1:1, I guess Gear 1, IMC speed on Rocket Lake? Am I correct hearing 1866? My 5800X tops out at 1866 before giving WHEA errors at 1900 IF.

Does Rocket Lake use Gear Down Mode like AMD? My rigs before jumping on X570 were two X58 rigs so GDM has been new to me. The fastest I can get with my gaming 5800X rig is 1700/3400 GDM disabled CMD 1T, CL14.14.14. which puts me around 57-60ns memory latency.

Btw my gaming rig first had a 3800X. Bought it around release day, and the device connectivity issues, which only happens with two of three mice I've tried, on Windows startup started around a month after and the issue has continued with my 5800X. Might be the power supply or motherboard, however that's besides my concern with the USB issue.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
If you still have the Seasonic X under your sig you should replace that before you start throwing money at a setup thats worse than what you already have even if you have USB issues

• Rep+
Reactions: OCmember

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 5800x on a gigabyte b550 pro with latest bios. I run as many as 8 usb devices with no issue 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
145 Posts
The main issue with the 11900k is that it's overpriced for what it is.

If it was called an 11750k and priced accordingly the reviews would have been more favourable.

Having said that, it is still power hungry and a little behind Zen3 performance wise, or best case equal while using more power.

AMD bios's with agesa 1.2.0.2 are just starting to become available. These are supposed to fix usb issues, so if it was me I would hold on just a little and try that first.

The other option would be to get a usb controller card and use that for your mouse and any other critical input devices. I've seen people do that successfully, e.g. for vr headsets.

Power might be an issue as well. Short of trying a different psu or motherboard a powered usb hub might help.

I haven't had any issues with usb on my 5800x and asus B550-F, although I did have issues when I got my 4790k and asus Z87-A many years ago, that were resolved with a bios update a few months later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another post on usb triggered my memory. I did have an issue with my mouse during win10 install... It was pretty unusable. Disabling c-states fixed it for the install. After windows was up and running I re-enabled c-states and have not had an issue since. Presumably you've tried the c-state fix already, but that has been successful for a lot of people.

·
Registered
55 Posts
11900k is better than the 11700k, but not if you take into account performance per dollar. 11700k is ahead of it there by a long shot. If I were making a purchase decision based on price because I had limited cash to spend...I'd get the 11700k and put the savings towards a better GPU or a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive. If cash were limitless....I'd get the 11900k. Although even then....I'd also consider the 5950x. I ended up having the choice between the 2 and I went with the 11900k. For 4K gaming and with my setup, the 11900k is likely to be marginally ahead (we're still talking a couple percentage points here). But in multi threaded work....the 5950x (or 5900x) would blow it away.
What is your 11900K ahead of? The 11700K or Ryzen counterparts? As in every review video I've seen, it sucks. The older 10900K and it's smaller brother, 11700K, are both faster in most workloads. The 11900K only comes ahead, marginally, in certain titles, that are very few.

Extremely poor for a new CPU to not only be beaten by it's older generation, it's competitor, but also smaller sibling.

PCIe 4.0 is more or loss pointless today for the general and average consumer. This has also been proven several times. The only time you'll see the difference is between benchmark runs, in numbers on a sheet. Nothing you'll notice on a day to day basis.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,482 Posts
Your issue described sounds nothing like the USB issue AMD identified. If you unplug all the USB devices including the case USB ports do you still get that chime? Any difference when connecting your devices to USB 3 ports vs 3.2?

You should be able to identify what's causing it if you open up device manager and expand everything and take a quick screenshot then compare after the chime to see what was added.

The issue you described sounds like a USB powered device that doesn't fully boot until you're in Windows then it connects.

Pretty sure I used to experience that with the ROG OC panel when I had my Rampage IV BE.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts