Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
What is your 11900K ahead of? The 11700K or Ryzen counterparts? As in every review video I've seen, it sucks. The older 10900K and it's smaller brother, 11700K, are both faster in most workloads. The 11900K only comes ahead, marginally, in certain titles, that are very few.

Extremely poor for a new CPU to not only be beaten by it's older generation, it's competitor, but also smaller sibling.

PCIe 4.0 is more or loss pointless today for the general and average consumer. This has also been proven several times. The only time you'll see the difference is between benchmark runs, in numbers on a sheet. Nothing you'll notice on a day to day basis.
My actual performance is higher than I was getting from my 10900kf. That's just my personal experience. If it wasn't, I would have kept the 10900kf. And in GPU bound games (ie. 4K gaming) where higher clock speed has more of an impact than core count, the higher boost clock on the 11900k allows for frames to be prepared faster. Again, we're talking about very small difference here. I'm not saying that the 11900k is going to get you from 50fps on a 5950x to 55fps. As for performance of the 11700k...it is literally impossible for it to be faster than the 11900k. It's the exact same chip. The 11900k just happens to be a higher binned version with the additional option of thermal velocity boost.

The problem with a lot of the reviews is that they're sticking to "base intel guidance" on how they run the test. That's not really helpful to me because I'm not running my 10900kf with base guidance. I buy a proper motherboard with proper overclocking support to let the chip do what it can do. But in the reviews they've actually gone and disabled many settings which are enabled by default on most motherboards, so they end up with actual lower performance than you'd get if you literally just bought the cpu, stuck it in the motherboard, and powered it up and went straight into windows. I understand why the reviewers are doing it. Intel shouldn't pretend the TDP is 125W and have motherboard manufacturers remove all the limits and have the chip pull way more power and etc etc etc...but again...at the end of the day, what those reviews show is not indicative of what you'd get by simply buying the chip and plugging it in, so they are in no way at all helpful in determining whether it's going to be a good chip for my usage or not.

And in this case...after my own testing...I found it a valuable upgrade for me. Is it better than the AMD CPUs? I never said that. There's a lot of value to be had in having the additional cores. However I went this path because I game at 4K with always GPU bound scenarios and as I mentioned, I saw many indicators that suggested there would be higher performance due to higher clock speed in those GPU bound scenarios. Just as an example I ran Crysis Remastered with the 11900k and it blows the 10900kf out of the water. Of course that's to be expected since it's a ridiculously single threaded game. But there are definitely real scenarios where the 11900k can easily come out on top, even if as I mentioned, those differences in general are rather small.

Regarding PCIe 4.0 being useless...you couldn't be more wrong. What's the highest IOPS you can get from a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive outside of Optane? I have an SN850 coming with 1,000,000 IOPS. Outside of just transfer speed of large files, it also greatly improves the reading of a lot of smaller random files. So streaming data while gaming which can cause stutters and fps loss become less problematic. Or your OS and applications can launch faster. I mean if these things don't matter to you then good for you. You could probably be happy with a $200 3770k system off of craigs list as that is a very capable chip as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Regarding PCIe 4.0 being useless...you couldn't be more wrong. What's the highest IOPS you can get from a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive outside of Optane? I have an SN850 coming with 1,000,000 IOPS. Outside of just transfer speed of large files, it also greatly improves the reading of a lot of smaller random files. So streaming data while gaming which can cause stutters and fps loss become less problematic. Or your OS and applications can launch faster. I mean if these things don't matter to you then good for you. You could probably be happy with a $200 3770k system off of craigs list as that is a very capable chip as well.
IOPS is something that manufactuers put down on a spec sheet to say how fast it is, it doesn't mean it's faster in general. How many people actually transfer that number of files on a daily basis to actually notice it? I'm willing to bet extremely few. If you'd put an 3.0 PC against an 4.0 PC next to each other, you wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Certainly not to the extent that people woud be willing to go out and buy a new drive and especially pay the prices of 4.0 NVMe drives.

Again, OS and applications launches aren't something you notice on a daily basis, it's such a small increase in the overall scheme of things that it's not noticeable. What I'm trying to say here is that 4.0 may look good on spec lists, but that doesn't translate the same to the real world and normal usage cases. As most people aren't transferring many and/or large files on a daily basis or see that game and/or software launch 2 seconds faster than an 3.0 drive.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,420 Posts
I am on the same boat..but I don't have issues on USB with my AMD setup..its just AMD is nerfing the 5000 series, and day 1 performance is not the same as today, initially people were complaining stability and now those USB issues..well aside from the "fix" they were doing where they just overvolt the CLDO_VDDP and VDDG_IOD, I feel like the zen 2 has more value right now than zen 3..I feel like I was a beta tester for them for the next release..lmao

Though I am still switching..just looking at my options, that Tachyon Board is sexy AF and its affordable where I am at..

·
Guru
1,217 Posts
Imagine if AMD was doing the same. As it stands in ST perfromance Intel just might be slightly faster by climbing way over the official TDP, but when it comes to MT AMD just eats it alive while still consuming considerably less power. What Intel has done is a desperate move IMO. With that outdated transistor density they are way behind AMD.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Imagine if AMD was doing the same. As it stands in ST perfromance Intel just might be slightly faster by climbing way over the official TDP, but when it comes to MT AMD just eats it alive while still consuming considerably less power. What Intel has done is a desperate move IMO. With that outdated transistor density they are way behind AMD.
Again not approving of Intel's marketing around it. However as far as performance goes...this is the default state most motherboards automatically run at. So the average customer who walks into a shop, buys a mobo/cpu and hooks it up, gets that performance. Reviewers are disabling default settings to make the motherboards perform within specific intel guidance. But that's the same as reverse-overclocking. You're fiddling with it to get a different performance number than what you'd get straight out of the box. So while I'm not excusing Intel's marketing...many of the reviews you see aren't exactly honest either.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
The USB connectivity issue with my rig has been going on since my 3800X so over a year now. I get a device connected chime anytime I restart or cold boot my rig. The latest patch hasn't fixed this, however I don't know if it's intended to fix it. I'm not confident the USB issue will end up being fixed. I've seen people with the latest 1.2.0.2 AGESA say that it hasn't fixed their issue. My main rig doesn't have this issue with the same input devices, so with my lack of confidence in the USB 'Fix' AMD is administering through AGESA I'm considering jumping into the fire sorta speak with an Intel gaming rig. Strictly a gaming rig. My local Micro Center listed the 11900K for $619, then recently increased the price to $699. This morning it was listed for $619 so I put an order in for a reservation to buy the chip. I have a few days to go pick it up.

What are some good reasons to make the switch and what are some good reasons not to? I know it's still early for Rocket Lake but constantly losing in online games is making me look at my AMD rig and it's USB issue.

Thanks for your time.
Ever consider swapping out the motherboard? I haven't had a single USB issue and I've had the 2600, 3600, 3700X and 5800X between the B450 and B550 chipsets so... Dunno, sounds like a motherboard-specific issue to me. :p ASRock ftw.

• Rep+
Reactions: OCmember

·
Expert pin bender
2,441 Posts
I think it's more likely some usb device causing it. In my case I think the spare keyboard I'm using is doing it. I will test it on 3 different systems but I can confirm it was happening for me on 2 of my x299 platforms.

People have preferences on hardware, it's just the thing though that gets in the way when looking to blame something.

I don't see how changing a while platform out for a simple issue is warranted. I guess though given the current market there is no money lost on reslae value of the outgoing hardware.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,751 Posts
The older 10900K and it's smaller brother, 11700K, are both faster in most workloads. The 11900K only comes ahead, marginally, in certain titles, that are very few.
Agreed but I was only able at the time to purchase loads of 10900Ks simply due to what was available through our stores. That was what was available and we agreed. Fortunately it proved a very positive decision for today or tomorrow (by pure luck of course).

Extremely poor for a new CPU to not only be beaten by it's older generation, it's competitor, but also smaller sibling.
Real misery for a huge corporation with such global presence everywhere. This of course shows how horrid management can lead such a company into worldwide embarrassment for their latest product release. Although in the end Billions of Businesses across this planet don't care about the hardware behind their monitor screens here.

They just put through orders and whatever turns up at their backdoor, they'll use on their desktops.

PCIe 4.0 is more or loss pointless today for the general and average consumer. This has also been proven several times. The only time you'll see the difference is between benchmark runs, in numbers on a sheet. Nothing you'll notice on a day to day basis.
100% CORRECT. But don't let the real world intercede with all the Fanboys here on this small Forum, whom keep pushing their agenda 24/7.

·
Guru
1,217 Posts
Again not approving of Intel's marketing around it. However as far as performance goes...this is the default state most motherboards automatically run at. So the average customer who walks into a shop, buys a mobo/cpu and hooks it up, gets that performance. Reviewers are disabling default settings to make the motherboards perform within specific intel guidance. But that's the same as reverse-overclocking. You're fiddling with it to get a different performance number than what you'd get straight out of the box. So while I'm not excusing Intel's marketing...many of the reviews you see aren't exactly honest either.
Choose your reviews then. My goto are guru3D reviews and they test not only default settings but also overclock those chips furthermore themselves and provide numbers for both scenarios. Don't compare though overclocked Intel to stock AMD (even then though AMD in MT is much faster).

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I'm going to pick up a WD SN850 1TB drive and install it in the gaming rig and see if a fresh OS install is the antidote for the device connected issue upon Windows startup, however the jury is still out on the AMD USB connectivity issue. I've been on the patched AGESA 1.2.0.1a F33h with my gaming rig for a week or so and it does improve mouse tracking and USB connectivity yet I'm not convinced it's 100% fixed so until a full bios VS beta release, is out, I'm gonna wait it out. It looks like I might miss the $619 "deal" on the 11900K but I can always try it or the 11700K later on down the road, once things smooth out with AMD

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
You never answered if you still have the Seasonic X

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@shilka Hi, sorry, that PSU is in my daily rig in my sig. I've updated my sig to include the gaming rig I'm talking about. However yes that 2009 650w Seasonic PSU is really close to being retired. Even if a PSU has constant use VS sitting on a shelf, the capacitors lifespan are around 10 yrs, correct me if I am wrong.

the daily rig psu

·
Registered
474 Posts
Unfortunately AMD has always had their problems with ongoing USB issues, either horrid designs delivered by all the AMD manufacturers or AMD couldn't give a toss at providing no support whatsoever, to the masses of fools that exist out there.

Have switched on over to my 10900K series with Z490 motherboard, sweet 24/7 reliability and all the USB ports work with all of my peripherals.

Sometimes you need to suffer the fools pushing junk hardware to really appreciate the Intel realm when it comes to 24/7 reliability, something you will never get with any AMD product.

Maybe why the business world has chosen the Intel side over many decades simply because of that vital fact of wanting functioning PC hardware to remain in business.
Hahaha, thanks for my morning entertainment! I almost thought you were serious there for a moment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hahaha, thanks for my morning entertainment! I almost thought you were serious there for a moment.
lol found that post pretty funny too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting, am in the same situation.
Purchased AMD ryzen 7 5800X, Asus C8I, Corsair 64GB DDR4 3800, RTX 3090FE last year. Never used it fully, BSODs and constant USB disconnects.

Worst platform ever. I have zero confidence AMD will fix it and its probably a design flaw, likely a new chipset is required to properly fix it.

So back to Intel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Purchased AMD ryzen 7 5800X, Asus C8I, Corsair 64GB DDR4 3800, RTX 3090FE last year. Never used it fully, BSODs and constant USB disconnects.

Worst platform ever. I have zero confidence AMD will fix it and its probably a design flaw, likely a new chipset is required to properly fix it.

So back to Intel.
Ever considered it might be your system and/or any of your components causing it? I've never had any issues with my AMD ones and I've been on both X470 and B550, all with ASUS motherboards. Used one MSI B550 and it was the worst, random windows freezes etc. But no issues with ASUS motherboards.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts

So back to Intel.
It could be your PSU has problems with its 5v rail and that the problem has nothing to do with AMD

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,751 Posts
Would first have at least 6 separate and fully working PSUs rated from 850 to 1600W ready for testing. Only when all those PSUs fail with the hardware you are using, then the AMD hardware is at fault (once cpu, memory, nvme, has been cleared from being faulty).

Have to agree with you. Too many updates and firmware fixes for an ongoing hardware problem will always deliver failure in the long run.

So back to Intel.
Already there and LOVING it. Have no reason to ever go back unless their 5000G series is finally released next year some time.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
OK, for those wondering about the Windows device connected chime on startup. This is on my gaming rig, see build references with my sig. I did a fresh Windows install on a SATA SSD, updated the OS and installed the drivers offered through Windows Update. A few notes first. My EVGA Supernova T2 has a +5vsb (Standby) amp of 2.5A. My Windows 10 Pro is an upgrade from a Windows 7 Pro disc i had. Windows power plan defaults to 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)' so when a computer is started from a cold boot, it's using stuff stored in the kernel to help speed-up the startup: essentially it's in hibernation state. This is counterintuitive from the days of Windows 2k. Upon a restart, I'm assuming nothing is saved in the kernel and things are reloaded into the kernel. This would make sense as it would help when Windows does an OS update and a restart is required. With the fresh Windows install, when I boot up the gaming rig from a cold boot I do not get the device connected chime. When I reboot the device connected chime returns. I tested this by UN-checking the 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)' box. I rebooted the PC from a running state, and I cold booted the PC, and both methods gave me the Windows startup chime. However a month or so ago I tried this on my original install drive after 7-8 months of use and I could not reproduce the same results. Here's where it gets confusing. The chime is only present with 2 of the mice I own. My old Microsoft Sidewinder X5 does not trigger this behavior nor does the Bloody SP30, while my Logitech G502, & Glorious Model D- do.

I did a lil testing on my daily driver rig by swapping in the Glorious Model D- and I get the same cold boot & restart, behavior. Chime on restart and no chime on cold boot.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hooked up a pair of San Ace fans 120x38mm to an external fan controller. The controller has 4 other 140mm fans on it. Played 3 matches of UT4 and I could tell something was wrong. Removed the fans and put the old one back in and my aim felt like it was back to normal

21 - 40 of 55 Posts