Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to ask your guys thoughts, I'm sure there's people here upgraded from gtx 260 to 5850. I can eather spend $130-$150 for a used gtx260 and go sli or I can sell my card and spend $80 to get a 5850. I would be overclocking the crap out of them both eather way. I am kinda leaning twords the 5850 for a single card and dx11 but sli is so powerful. I just borowed a gtx 260 to test sli and scored 25.5k in vantage. What are your thoughts?? I want to hear from anyone that went nvidia to ati your honest thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
either go 5870 or don't go to new ATI line.. i'm just like you want to go ATI but i decided not to cuz gtx260 SLI really powerful so i say save the money and get SLI power

·
Registered
926 Posts
Keep the GTX 260 and wait to upgrade to 5870 when It get's cheaper. Soon fermi will come and then ATI's cards go maybe a little cheaper. You shouldn't have any problems with that 260 in games imo.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
I upgraded from a GTX 295 to dual 5850s. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
If you're gonna wait for the GTX470, or 480 then make sure you have a source to order from. It will likely be sold out in mins because the quantity will be very limited.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I went from a GTX260 @ 690/1450/1250 to my 5850 @ 925/1150 and I can say without a doubt that my frames have nearly doubled. Don't let the model fool you. The 5850 is essentially a 5870 with SP and TMU's cut off. They can achieve the same clocks and perform 5-10% from each other when at the same clocks.

Go with the 5850. Though I'd wait until next week to see if ATi drops their prices once fermi's NDA is over and pricing is revealed.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
SLI GTX 260 are more powerful than a single 5850, but the 5850 is a beast. It really depends on whether you want a single or multi-GPU setup and your confidence level in the relevance of DX11 in the near future. I would recommend going for a 5850 now (if you can find it for sub $300) and picking up a second one in the future if you feel that you need more oomph. You gain DX11 support and native HDMI audio-out capabilities... good stuff. However you lose Physx and CUDA support
HD5850 gets my vote.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvese
View Post

I went from a GTX260 @ 690/1450/1250 to my 5850 @ 925/1150 and I can say without a doubt that my frames have nearly doubled. Don't let the model fool you. The 5850 is essentially a 5870 with SP and TMU's cut off. They can achieve the same clocks and perform 5-10% from each other when at the same clocks.

Go with the 5850. Though I'd wait until next week to see if ATi drops their prices once fermi's NDA is over and pricing is revealed.

+1 the 5850 flys and when overclocked kicks ass i score 20k in vantage now so i say go 5850 you won't be dissapointed belive me i don't think the extra cost for the 5870 warrants its performance over the 5850 because they are so close belive it or not.

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by badger6021
View Post

+1 the 5850 flys and when overclocked kicks ass i score 20k in vantage now so i say go 5850 you won't be dissapointed belive me i don't think the extra cost for the 5870 warrants its performance over the 5850 because they are so close belive it or not.

FYI, I score over 22K in 3DMark Vantage as well with SLI'd 260 Core 216's (though my cpu and gpu's are overclocked). Just sayin'. I could probably score more with higher overclocks as well.

The 5850 would be a great investment if you want to go the ATI route and you have confidence in these first-gen DX11 cards. If DX11 is not an issue for you currently, as it might take a year or more for games to truly start using it, then I would just buy another core 216 and go SLI.

I am planning on just waiting until Fermi hits, and then either waiting 6 months to see how far ATI cards drop, or will invest in a 470/480 once I see some proven benchmarks. But, if you've got a core 216, it's going to be effective for AT LEAST another 12 months or so by itself, and if you go SLI, you'll definitely have enough firepower for at least another 18 months.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
it's a decent upgrade. around 40% performance increase.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
If I recall correctly my 5850 OC'd to 950/1250 scored around 23k in 3dmark06, the 5870 OC'd came in around 24k, and my crossfire 5770's OC'd to 1k core (not at their limit yet
) hit around 25.5k. Just going from memory here...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a 8800GT and I think going to a 5850 is not enough of a performance jump.

If you run everything the way you like wait another generation.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post
FYI, I score over 22K in 3DMark Vantage as well with SLI'd 260 Core 216's (though my cpu and gpu's are overclocked). Just sayin'. I could probably score more with higher overclocks as well.

The 5850 would be a great investment if you want to go the ATI route and you have confidence in these first-gen DX11 cards. If DX11 is not an issue for you currently, as it might take a year or more for games to truly start using it, then I would just buy another core 216 and go SLI.

I am planning on just waiting until Fermi hits, and then either waiting 6 months to see how far ATI cards drop, or will invest in a 470/480 once I see some proven benchmarks. But, if you've got a core 216, it's going to be effective for AT LEAST another 12 months or so by itself, and if you go SLI, you'll definitely have enough firepower for at least another 18 months.
dude a single 5850 scored 20k in vantage, and your *SLI'd* 260 GTX's scored more because they are SLI..of course theyre going to beat a single 5850. try getting 20k on a single 260 GTX..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impagliazzo View Post
I have a 8800GT and I think going to a 5850 is not enough of a performance jump.

If you run everything the way you like wait another generation.
bad advice..the 5850 is LIGHT YEARS AHEAD of the 8800GT

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBeeJ View Post
Off topic: staryoshi DANG it i like ur system (lloking at 5770s and the katana
).
On topic: Just wait for nvidia its a win/win situation u either get a 5xxx for a cheap or a gtx4xx. Save ur $ for now and when u want to buy sell ur gtx or keep it PPU.

These MSI 5770 hawks are BEASTS. This motherboard is a BEAST. It has two failures that haunt me though. One: The PCIE 16x slots are too close together. If they would have flipped the bottom one with the 1x slot below it I would have the best board in the history of mankind for the price i paid ($165). Also I HATE the fuzzy equalizer LED on the right hand side that I don't use. It is blue/yellow/red. It ruins my color scheme. I will be eliminating the blue LED soon
This mobo has many features and lets me run my ram as low as 1.4v (close to the 1.35v its rated at) so I'm happy. This is going to be the centerpiece of an overhauling Antec 300 mod I'll be starting next week

BTW for those looking at the 5850... with overclocking it performs nearly as well as the 5870, it's shorter, and is MUCH more energy-frugal. For those worried about compromising, don't be

If I were still in the market for 5800 series cards, I'd recommend a reference 5850 or a non-reference 5870. (aka the PCS+ which is the coolest I've ever seen a gfx card run on air... I need to sell mine
)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post
These MSI 5770 hawks are BEASTS. This motherboard is a BEAST. It has two failures that haunt me though. One: The PCIE 16x slots are too close together. If they would have flipped the bottom one with the 1x slot below it I would have the best board in the history of mankind for the price i paid ($165). Also I HATE the fuzzy equalizer LED on the right hand side that I don't use. It is blue/yellow/red. It ruins my color scheme. I will be eliminating the blue LED soon
This mobo has many features and lets me run my ram as low as 1.4v (close to the 1.35v its rated at) so I'm happy. This is going to be the centerpiece of an overhauling Antec 300 mod I'll be starting next week

BTW for those looking at the 5850... with overclocking it performs nearly as well as the 5870, it's shorter, and is MUCH more energy-frugal. For those worried about compromising, don't be

If I were still in the market for 5800 series cards, I'd recommend a reference 5850 or a non-reference 5870. (aka the PCS+ which is the coolest I've ever seen a gfx card run on air... I need to sell mine
)
I will be w8ing...
AND WHAT ABOUT THE MSI 5870 LIGHTNING?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBeeJ View Post
I will be w8ing...
AND WHAT ABOUT THE MSI 5870 LIGHTNING?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!
Other than being $500, the MSI Lighting is kick-butt and an amazing card. I debated going crossfire with them
That's the most enthusiast-centric card I've ever seen, and other than being a fatty, it's as beautiful as a piece of tech can be. For "normies" though I'd recommend the PCS+

1 - 20 of 30 Posts