Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soo i got this 2010 vaio and i was wondering if i can take out my i5 and place an i7 in its place.

my laptop is vpceb1z1e and its cpu is Intel Core i5 430M.

since its pretty weak i was wondering if i can put a better one i7 with the same socket.
everything with the same socket will work fine right??

Sockets Supported BGA1288, PGA988 (intel site has both for my cpu, dont know which one of 2 mine uses)

my cpu its not soldered on the board.

its like this.

dont know which one to choose though, i saw some reviews on cpubenchmark, and i found that my cpu has approx. 2000 score
and some i7 with same socket almost the double. does that means they are 2 times better?

please help cuz dont know which one to choose.

thanks in advance
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i did the exact same thing with my laptop, except mine was a 2011. went from an i3 to an i7. just make sure the i7 has the same TDP because the heatsink and power supply built into the laptop is designed to only handle and certain # of watts. so if your i5 is 35W, get an i7 that has 35W as well.

The reason you'll see double the score is because the i7 has hyperthreading while the i5 does not. this means it had double the # of processing cores, which means double the performance in the benchmark. However, this does not mean double performance throughout the entire system since not all applications can utilize the additional cores. For that, cpu clockspeed or newer technology are the only ones that can help there as far as cpu's go. But for the price of the i7's on ebay, its definitely worth it IMO. and if you haven't already, get an SSD in there. the difference will be night and day.

• Rep+
Reactions: nick1electro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i've already installed an ssd,
as for the cpu's the standart one is 35watt, so i will install one that consumes the same amout of power.
i just worry if it will run fine with no issues? will the bios cause any issues?
the prices on ebay are quite high. i live in europe and the i7 on the europian ebay is over 70 bucks.,,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will my motherboard support a 55watt cpu or it has to be 35?
there are alot of cpu's with this socket but i dont know weather or not will be compatible since some of them are 55watt and some other 35watt
what about the Intel Core i7-920XM? or the QM's ??

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hahaha, I did this with my Thinkpad from work. I grabbed an i7-3520 and dropped it in for lols, seated the HSF with MX4, sent it to the repair depot to have it wiped and reimaged.
tongue.gif

Replacing your HDD with an SSD will be a better upgrade if you can do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts