Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Micro-ATX

My parents pc needs a new motherboard. Still on a budget. So I think I'll have to find an used CPU. But needs to be brand new motherboard.

They can get this socket 1155 motherboard here for 60 euro:
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

Or, they can get this socket 1150 motherboard here for 90 euro:
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H

Wouldnt it be best, to go with the H97? SInce its more future proof. As it can support upcoming broadwell.

Also, the pc started as an medion pc. But have over time, been under some upgrades. Like mx100 SSD, gtx650ti, i5-660, hyper 412s, bequiet psu and so on. In fact only original parts, are the memory and motherboard (last part is now dead)
The windows 7 cd, is on the medion cd that came with the pc. Is the cd-key tied to the current dead P55 motherboard?

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
The Windows 7 might require a manual activation via the Microsoft phone number, but it should work.

With ether motherboard, you're going to require a new CPU and maybe new RAM depending on what you have now. The Haswell boards prefer 1.35V RAM and can go as high as 1.5V safely. I wouldn't run old 1.65 or 1.7V RAM on Socket 1150. 1155 should run anything the P55 would run.

Greg

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But isnt the H97 better supported with upcoming broadwell?

Like if they went with a B75, they would have to upgrade that motherboard, for any broadwell support-

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll just tell them to get the H97 motherboard. Since it will be better suited for the future (broadwell)
That's what I'm reading now, that H97 will support broadwell.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I agree the H97 is a smarter choice vs. the B75 - Socket 1155 is a dead platform moving forward.

Some things to keep in mind about H97:

- It only supports DDR3-1600 as maximum RAM speed, regardless of what CPU is used.
- Only supports 1 GPU. No SLI/Crossfire. I doubt that's an issue for your parent's system.
- No overclocking, so you might as well stick with the non-K processors. Again, probably not an issue with parent's system.

To overcome any of these three situations, you need to step up to a Z97 chipset.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts