Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a front intake fan, and the only room I have on the front of my case is two 5.25" drive bays. Can anyone recommend a good 5.25" drive bay fan?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually thinking about making a custom faceplate to mount a fan, but I'd only have room for an 80mm. I want to try to get more air intake before I mod my case to add a top exhaust fan.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
my latest link (the third link in the post above) refers to a bay fan arrangement that has 52cfm!! thats about what you'd get out of an 80mm...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The startech looks interesting, thought I'd rather it be an intake...it seems to have the highest cfm of any I've found yet. Would it be a good idea to use the Startech as a front exhaust and change my 80mm rear exhaust to an intake?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo2776
The startech looks interesting, thought I'd rather it be an intake...it seems to have the highest cfm of any I've found yet. Would it be a good idea to use the Startech as a front exhaust and change my 80mm rear exhaust to an intake?
its better to have a larger fan as an exhaust (eg 120mm) if u r going to have more than 1 80mm.
two 5 1/4" bays are only big enough for 1 80mm. but depending on ur case u might be able to just squeeze in 2 80mm side-by-side. if ur lucky.

I know this as on my old rig(the 1 that got stollen) i had a blue LED 80mm fan mounted in the bottom 5 1/4" bays. i plan to do it again with my replacement rig.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

According to the readup on the startech, it can be directed any way you see fit, as an exhaust or intake

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an 80mm side intake and an 80mm rear exhaust with my current setup, which keeps me at 31*C idle and 36*C under load at 3.1ghz. Think I'm going to go with the Startech as a front intake, then mod my case for a 120mm top exhaust.

Any recommendations on a good 120mm case fan?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:

I have an 80mm side intake and an 80mm rear exhaust with my current setup, which keeps me at 31*C idle and 36*C under load at 3.1ghz. Think I'm going to go with the Startech as a front intake, then mod my case for a 120mm top exhaust.
yeah. 120's r great. more air,less noise.
i have in my P2 crap rig, 120ex rear, 90 int front, 80 int front 80ex top.
all are Tt LED fans run through a fan controller. i like it. with all fans on low, i can get [email protected] idle and 34C load. it is so quiet though. with all on full, i can get cpu @25-26C load and 29-31C load. p2 is 366MHz @ 427MHz. it is crap. i know.

i use and recomend Thermal take fans. Quality,low noise,good cfm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts