Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this might be a odd problem, I cant find alot of information on it. I've been troubleshooting my PC the past 2days now. It suddenly froze up and began overheating randomly. I've done multiple things like reinstall everything, reapplied thermal, cleaned case, etc. Everything you can think of.

Well I finally got it to boot Win7 and installed a fresh version but now my CPU temp is froze. It wont change. the MB temp says 84C. The BIOS say 84C. SpeedFan says core 0 84C. Every test I do it says 84C. I believe its a temp sensory that needs replaced. How do I fix that or go about fixing this problem. I've never experienced this and I could really use someone who know alot about overheating issues. My PC was randomly at 96C yesterday and now I've got it under control, I do NOT OC. The system is like 1.5yrs old, runs alot, and thermal paste was terrible so I know why it could of decided to overheat.

Heres my setup
Core i7 920
evga x58 SLI
gtx 9800+
seagate 500gb
OCZ ddr3 6GB gold
Corsair TX750W
stock heatsink
win7 x64

I guess its also safe to mention I'm experience a harddrive problem now that is unrepairable according to SeaTools. I guess between me trying to get my system back and running the sectors got messed up and are unrepairable. I get error messages about it but my system is still working, this is besides the point but this info might help someone who knows what is going on.

As a side note if anyone actually can provide some worthy information to fix the problem rather than me blowing money on new heatsink, new HD, new MB then I'd be sure to reward them.

Thanks, Jon S.
PS: next step is to reset CMOS and update BIOS, although Ive done so once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also to mention although it says 84C I doubt its actually those temps but who knows. I've felt the cpu heatsink and air being isolated from it and I really do not see it being that hot. More warm air than hot. Keeping in mind my system is not OC, its just been reset completely so there is no reason for it to even run at 84C. Above all I cleaned and reapplied thermal last night, up until a little bit after that the temp was working. Once I reinstalled win7 and got the PC running at regular speeds it suddenly became froze. .... thanks again

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Have you tried resetting the cmos? Is it just 84c on core 0? What about cores 1, 2, and 3? It's not unusual for a sencor to be stuck on an i7. Get real temp if you don't already have it and check for cores 1, 2, and 3. My guess is a stuck sencor. I don't know how to fix it though.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Lol, you are using realtempGT which is for 6 core CPUs
. You want the regual real temp with out the gt. It's in that folder that it came in. It's just plain real temp, not real temp gt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok one second. I'm going to update it in a few if you don't mind checking it for me and giving me some feedback. I'm not too familiar with these tests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
updated:

also I'm about to buy a new heatsink prolimatech mega, along with some extra case fans. I don't know if its a step in the right direction or going to solve my problem but I'd defintly like some advice before buying. I'd hate to buy it only to find out my MB or CPU is screwy. I guess the only real way to find out is to buy it. But I'm still concerned if the problem were to continue and its on the MB end if this is something to worry about or not. My system seems to be running fine but I'm afraid once I actually reinstall all my programs and such I'll be back to step 1 where it reboots constantly. Also my HD is def ruined, I don't know if you can give me advice on way to go about trying to repair it but I ran SeaTools DOS version and its saying it unrepairable. Along with constant messages saying I must backup my system. I don't think the 2 problems are directly related, but advice is appreciated.

furthermore if i buy these fans and heatsink I'd like to take advantage of some OCing but I'm worried now a stuck sensor might hold me back???

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgs19 View Post
updated:

also I'm about to buy a new heatsink prolimatech mega, along with some extra case fans. I don't know if its a step in the right direction or going to solve my problem but I'd defintly like some advice before buying. I'd hate to buy it only to find out my MB or CPU is screwy. I guess the only real way to find out is to buy it. But I'm still concerned if the problem were to continue and its on the MB end if this is something to worry about or not. My system seems to be running fine but I'm afraid once I actually reinstall all my programs and such I'll be back to step 1 where it reboots constantly. Also my HD is def ruined, I don't know if you can give me advice on way to go about trying to repair it but I ran SeaTools DOS version and its saying it unrepairable. Along with constant messages saying I must backup my system. I don't think the 2 problems are directly related, but advice is appreciated.

furthermore if i buy these fans and heatsink I'd like to take advantage of some OCing but I'm worried now a stuck sensor might hold me back???
Those temps are really really really high!!! I would not run prime95 anyomre if you have those temps. It's really weird too that your core 2 is 12c off from core 1 and 3.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard
View Post

Those temps are really really really high!!! I would not run prime95 anyomre if you have those temps. It's really weird too that your core 2 is 12c off from core 1 and 3.

he is posting this because its a little weird he is getting temps that high, and he thinks its possibly stuck and not sensing correctly, which i agree. it is highly unlikly those are the actual temps especially on stock speeds.

the only way for you to diagnose this is:

1. buy a new motherboard, try it on your CPU.
or
2. buy new CPU, try it on your motherboard.

if i was in your shoes, i would go to a store, buy a new/use CPU for cheap and or Motherboard. test it out... find out what is the component to blaim... then return it. or just ask a friend or relative to try one of your components on their system. by the way dont forget to ask the store for their return policy first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you so much. EVGA is actually goin to exchange the MB for me. So I'm safe and going to test the new MB first. I highly doubt the CPU is causing the problem because the CPU does not feel like 84+ like its testing. I have no idea why though. So I'm going to buy a new heatsink, fans, and exchange the MB and pray for the best. I'd really hate to have to replace a CPU which probably has not fallen under the warranty after 1.5yrs. I'll have to check, the good thing is I have all the reciepts and boxes so to say the least I should be ok. It's ashame this had to happen but I think I can fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts