Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I would post this for anyone looking to build a cheap home server or HTPC. I'll be picking one up in a few minutes as I leave work.

Source

The CPU is $75 on Newegg so its like getting a free mobo.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yet another ridiculous deal from Fry's...

I almost feel bad, because their business model seems to be that they hope you buy some more stuff you might need to go along with them...

Every time I go, they have something ridiculous like that, and it's not so good for my addiction to build stuff... MUST STAY AWAY!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
how long do these deals last
They probably last all of 10 minutes either before or after the doors open for business, all the working IT crowd buys them all up shifting them around to other stores possible to mark up, or store employees hold them back so their friends/family can buy them.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by goonies View Post
They probably last all of 10 minutes either before or after the doors open for business, all the working IT crowd buys them all up shifting them around to other stores possible to mark up, or store employees hold them back so their friends/family can buy them.
I never have issues going in on wed and grabbing them. Maybe your stores dont get much stock.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The people working there rarely even know that the deals are going on

I've gone in on the last day multiple times and they still have around 20 left

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RideZiLightning View Post
The people working there rarely even know that the deals are going on

I've gone in on the last day multiple times and they still have around 20 left
Well you're lucky because the store that is closest to me their deals, the really good ones, are practically gone in about 2 hours. In other words if you aren't working as an IT admin you better practice being on the ball about catching the great deals. I think they are the ones who are scouting them out on Mercury News or Dallas News site, and swooping in on them as the doors open. Does anyone know when those Ads get posted on Mercury News? I'd like to set my alarm clock for that time.

So I was up at 7, and they were already posted. Sometime between 6 & 7 then?

·
Registered
404 Posts
it really depends on the goodness of the deals. Athlon II X4 + plus mobo for $100 might seem fantastic to some people but when Fry's have had that deal for as low as $60 then it doesnt seem so hot. When they had the i5-750+Gigabyte mobo for $190 that was sold out nearly everywhere by 10AM the Friday it started. Relative hotness wise this week is kinda weak. If they have an i7 deal next week for anywhere near $250 be assured if you go there at noon that 1st Friday it will be gone.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got my CPU/Mobo combo for 189. The price of the CPU alone was 189.. SO basically got a free motherboard, and this was on a thursday, last day of the deal.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ntrlfive View Post
I got my CPU/Mobo combo for 189. The price of the CPU alone was 189.. SO basically got a free motherboard, and this was on a thursday, last day of the deal.
that was in January. Like I said before it's all relative hotness. That deal was good but if you're a regular Fry's watcher you wouldn't run out of your house for that deal when they had a better i5 deal for basically the same price a few weeks before. Better deal will come. Plus they had a deal with the 965+mobo for $140AR a few weeks before. It devalued your deal. Wasn't a very popular deal at the time.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goonies
View Post

this is actually true.

i had the experience on different levels.

1) was in the store to pick up the deal. and the employee at the motherboard sections said they had none in stock. Didn't believe him, went to the front counter / service center. they checked stock and had 6. i was like >=O

2) on a different occasion i went in to the store on friday morning just as it opened. they said they were out of stock.

anyway on a different level. the combo is good if you're building like a cheap budget build or a htpc or something. put in a decent gfx card and this can play your 1080p movies...

FYI, FRY's deals start on friday and end on thursday.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by proro1974
View Post

it really depends on the goodness of the deals. Athlon II X4 + plus mobo for $100 might seem fantastic to some people but when Fry's have had that deal for as low as $60 then it doesnt seem so hot. When they had the i5-750+Gigabyte mobo for $190 that was sold out nearly everywhere by 10AM the Friday it started. Relative hotness wise this week is kinda weak. If they have an i7 deal next week for anywhere near $250 be assured if you go there at noon that 1st Friday it will be gone.

How many are in your area? I guess I am lucky here since I have 5 with in 30miles, 2 of which are about 8 miles from me. Usually if one of the close ones sells out midway through the sale I have them check stock at the other. One of them usually has it.

The annoying thing with cpu/mobo combos is that sometimes the mobo or the cpu sells out first due to the stock they have prior to the sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts