Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4776784476_68d08b12e6_z.jpg

http://blogs.forbes.com/eco-nomics/2011/04/13/canada-prepares-to-introduce-plastic-money/
Quote:
The new plastic money will be rolled out in phases with the $100 bill scheduled for introduction in November. In March 2012, a $50 bill will be added to the mix and the rest of the smaller bills will be introduced by the end of 2013.

There are several benefits to plastic cash - enhanced security, a longer life and the money is even cleaner. We all know how dirty money can be but the new bills are resistant to water, oil, sweat, dust and more.
No more dirty money?

Now swimming in an ocean of bills won't be any fun at all
frown.gif

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
How will they handle being bent? A few questions I have, but hopefully they know what they are doing and have 'tested' it extensively... Otherwise... o_O

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Great idea. I liked the Aussie money, especially as I was once careless and put $50 through the wash. Came out the other side cleaner but undamaged. Plus the lower bacteria count on them is good, my dad recently started running a coffee van as a semi-retirement thing, handles cash every day and gets sick more often than he ever did.

Also;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
The polymer-based money is also recyclable. The money is made out of polypropylene, which can be recycled and used to create new products including plumbing fittings, compost bins and other household items.
Are the GreenPeace et al street surveyors now going to start asking you to recycle your money in their handy recycling bins?
tongue.gif

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman340;13137328
How will they handle being bent? A few questions I have, but hopefully they know what they are doing and have 'tested' it extensively... Otherwise... o_O
How do plastic bags handle being bent? It has been around for a while in several different countries, and works fine.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
We have plastic money here, they fold and crease and you can uncrease them by keeping them under something flat. Likewise they develop a natural fold to your wallet
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99;13137279
Now swimming in an ocean of bills won't be any fun at all
frown.gif
And would likely issue some vicious cuts!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
384 Posts
I found this website interesting (about aussie money though) http://www.questacon.edu.au/indepth/clever/plastic_banknotes.html. So more countries could follow their lead?

I really don't know what to make of it all. I do like paper money, the texture feels nice. And the smell of money is also very nice., but plastic money sounds...futuristic!

At last the whole "monopoly money" thing can be put to rest. Partly because monopoly money is made out of paper and partly because monopoly has switched to cards!
It's just a shame it will now be compared to junior monopoly! /jk

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex;13137487
I've been using nothing but plastic money for years...

visa-gift-card-web.jpg
I thought the same thing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I always liked the feel and color-looks of Canadian bills vs US bills. But being plastic should top it off. Love your loonies and toonies to!
lachen.gif

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Good idea. Lets make our money out of a nearly-depleted resource, so that the Canadian dollar will skyrocket once we run out and oil becomes the new gold.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts