Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have decided to buy a new system and at the moment I am looking at this parts
ASUS P5WDG2 WS Professional http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.asp...89&modelmenu=1
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF http://www.corsair.com/corsair/dominator.html
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 1066FSB

Now I have a question.
Is the memory overkill? The fsb on the CPU is 1066 and the memory is 800mhz*2=1600.
What I understand the memory speed I should get if I am not overclocking is 533mhz (533*2=1066)
So if I buy that memory do I have to overclock to gain the extra performance the memory offers? And how much?

I usually newer overclocks my systems but today it's something you are almost forced to do to get the performance you pay for.
If I buy a good CPU cooler how much could I overclock the FSB without any problems?

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The dominator and that CPU and the board will get you very high overclocks. The dominator is overkill IMO. Your looking at somewhere around I dunno ...450x10? 4.5ghz. Thats my guess but I'm not sure I dont know too much about the E6700. I would imagine it overclocks close to the same as an E6600 which is pretty decent. As for as high overclocks the extreme and the E6300 and E6400 OC incredible. Like I said with that mobo and memory I would think at least 450 FSB.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sora1421
View Post

The dominator and that CPU and the board will get you very high overclocks. The dominator is overkill IMO. Your looking at somewhere around I dunno ...450x10? 4.5ghz. Thats my guess but I'm not sure I dont know too much about the E6700. I would imagine it overclocks close to the same as an E6600 which is pretty decent. As for as high overclocks the extreme and the E6300 and E6400 OC incredible. Like I said with that mobo and memory I would think at least 450 FSB.

The 6700 will offer the same performance as the 6600, so why spend more on it? Also, I suggest taking a look at the G. Skill Cas4 800mhz. It's a tried and true combo.

P.S. There's no possible way you're gonna hit 4.5 ghz with an E6700 on air or water.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
and for the price you pay for dominators any of them are overkill as crucial, g.skill hz, and others are better.

even if you didn't want to really overclock your cpu that much what you do them is put your fsb to 400mhz your ram will now run at 800mhz and then put your cpu multiplier down to x6 and your at stock speeds with higher memory, fsb speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts