Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.

I have a GA-7dxe gigabyte mobo. Its stock FSB is 133.
what i would like to know is seeing as my RAM is rated at 166 can i OC the FSB to 166 without burning things?

I dont think the cpu will be a problem because when i OC the FSB to 142, the max cpu temp is still only 52C.

also, the FSB is the only thing i can change. the cpu multiplier is locked and so is the pci bus.

the cpu is an amd 2400 and cpu-z says its a thornton.

thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Yes you can up the FSB to 166. Upping the FSB doesn't burn things

At worst your system just won't boot and you will have to reset the BIOS.
However, since your ram is rated at a higher speed than your FSB you will have to set a FSB:RAM divider. Otherwise you will also be ocing your ram as you up your FSB.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think there is a ram/FSB divider.

In my bios there is absolutely no OCing settings.
i am doing all of my ocing with gigabytes Easytune 4, and the only thing that isnt greyed out is the fsb.

so seeing as this is the case i should just litterally be able to up the FSB to 166, because whenever i reboot, ALL the settings go back to default.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
All right then, give it a try and don't worry about burning/damaging anything since you'll also be using the Gigabyte software.
One thing though. Download cpu-z run it and check the "Memory" tab and please post a screenshot before and after you oc.
Just check the AGP bus frequency and make sure it doesn't exceed 70-72 MHz if you cannot lock it at 66.6 MHz.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i have taken a shot or each tab at my current OC of 142 FSB. you can see my idle temps are about 42 - 44

btw thanks for the help, but i got work., i be on later.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
All right, from the fourth screenshot you have posted above it's obvious (as you already said) that your ram is rated 166 Mz.
However it's not set at 166 MHz with you current settings. You can see from the third screenshot that it's running at the same speed of your FSB.
That's great. Because you won't benefit from having your ram running at a higher clock speed than your cpu since the cpu is the one doing all the processing and ram is just fed data.
Concerning the temps.. it's not the idle temp you should look at but always the load temps. So after you oc run Prime95 (large in place FFT which causes the cpu to generate the most heat) and check your max cpu core temps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts