Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding Intel processors to my Overclocking Calculator, but I have a question about the FSB/Bus Frequency. For a P4 3.2 Northwood there is a FSB of 200Mhz but a Bus Frequency of 800Mhz. Obivously there must be a 4x multiplier in there, is this multiplier locked? If Raise my FSB to 220Mhz does the effective Bus Frequency rise to 880Mhz? If the multiplier is locked at 4 is there a divider that can be adjusted or does it run off of the Memory Divider? I am little (stress little) more familiar with AMD overclocking, but I want to make sure my math is right for the intel chips as well.

Also what is the proper terminology?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

Obivously there must be a 4x multiplier in there

Correct

Quote:

is this multiplier locked?

Yes

Quote:

If Raise my FSB to 220Mhz does the effective Bus Frequency rise to 880Mhz

Yes

Quote:

If the multiplier is locked at 4 is there a divider that can be adjusted or does it run off of the Memory Divider?

Not completely sure what you are asking, but there is a divider for the memory, so for example if you overclock the fsb from 200->220 and have ram set at 1:1, the memory is also overclocked. Depending on bios, you may have a divider to underclock the ram so when you overclock the bus to 250 a 5:4 divider for example would leave the ram at 200, or ddr400. There are usual dividers the other way as well. Is that what you mean?

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotec

Is that what you mean?

To phrase it a different way....
If my FSB is 220 is there ANY way to have a Bus Speed lower than 880?

In the AMD world you will get into trouble if the HTT Frequency (similar to the Bus Speed) goes to high. There is an unlocked multi there. So if you raise your HTT alot you can keep the HTT Frequency in check.

It appears that the Bus speed will always be 4x FSB for p4's. Any ideas on common terminology for these items?

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
theres the qdr bus in a p4 this is always 4X the fsb , the fsb is based on the ram as usual (using ratios etc) the QDR doesnt really affect the OC (but it does mean than P4s Shine on dual channel systems

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

If my FSB is 220 is there ANY way to have a Bus Speed lower than 880?

As far as I know, No. That is something to keep in mind, you are overclocking the fsb on your mobo when you raise the fsb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts