Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Pentium M CPU's, is the FSB Quad Bused? Do I divide by four like i would with the P4 to find out what kind of memory I need. The pentium M's FSB is 400MHz. So does that me even PC-2700 is useless/overkill. Im getting a laptop and trying to decide if i want to spend 1800 on a sony with a ATI 9600 mobility card or to just get the HP with built in memory and upgrade the memory to a gig and share mem with the graphics. Im not looking to do a whole lot of gaming. Id like to mostly add some old school games to play if i get board. Old school DOOM, duke nukem,diable 2, warcraft 1 and 2. Games like that. Also what do you all think a laptop running a Pentium M with a gig of RAM and onboard graphics could run? Just hypothetically in case i really ever wanted to run a newer game (nothing like doom 3 or half life 2). Mostly the computer will be for getting on the net at school/home. Loading apps to troubleshoot network stuff on other networks at school,home and friends houses. I want the Pentium M for the mobility.

Thanks in advance. : )

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial

In the Pentium M CPU's, is the FSB Quad Bused? Do I divide by four like i would with the P4 to find out what kind of memory I need. The pentium M's FSB is 400MHz. So does that me even PC-2700 is useless/overkill. Im getting a laptop and trying to decide if i want to spend 1800 on a sony with a ATI 9600 mobility card or to just get the HP with built in memory and upgrade the memory to a gig and share mem with the graphics. Im not looking to do a whole lot of gaming. Id like to mostly add some old school games to play if i get board. Old school DOOM, duke nukem,diable 2, warcraft 1 and 2. Games like that. Also what do you all think a laptop running a Pentium M with a gig of RAM and onboard graphics could run? Just hypothetically in case i really ever wanted to run a newer game (nothing like doom 3 or half life 2). Mostly the computer will be for getting on the net at school/home. Loading apps to troubleshoot network stuff on other networks at school,home and friends houses. I want the Pentium M for the mobility.

Thanks in advance. : )

I think that the laptop coming with 256-512 MB of RAm would be more than enough for your needs, as for the math I am not as familiar with that chip as I would liek and cannot answer the question.

if you cannot find the answer to the RAm type you can always get the laptop and run CPU-Z to get the specifications.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Pentium M's are crap for gaming because of the speed step technology. They are mostly good for long battery life (mine lasts about 4hours!). However, if you turn off the Speed step tech, they are fairly fast. Not comparible to a Pentium 4 though. If you want a laptop for gaming and don't care about battery life, go with a Pentium 4 machine.

As for the memory, the Pentium-M's are quad pumped 100Mhz buses, just like the Pentium 4, so use PC3200 DDR. Also if you are going to play newer games, get a laptop with a decent graphics card like the Mobility 9600 or better (9700, 9800 or X800 mobility). If you have the option of going with a GeForce 6800, do that. I currently have a Pentium M 1.5Ghz with 512MB of Ram and a Mobility 9200 w/32Mb VRAM. I can't play Doom3 higher than 800x600 and the quality looks shabby. Half Life, Doom, and other old games play nicely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts