Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

We got a quick update on Fusion, an AMD codename for CPU and GPU native chip. At a later date AMD renamed it to Swift. Since Intel is launching Clarksdale / Arrandale CPU and GPU on the same chip but with two separate dies in early 2010, AMD will be under a lot of pressure to launch such an CPU+GPU integrated chip.

We've seen before the 45nm Fusion got canceled due to some manufacturing challenges and we expected that AMD might give it a try with 32nm. Unfortunately this won't happen as next Fusion will have to wait for 22nm production that is scheduled for second part of 2012.

SOURCE

It's about time. They've been talking about Fusion for years.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodaholic134
View Post

SOURCE

It's about time. They've been talking about Fusion for years.

And it sounds like they'll continue talking about it for at least 3 more years. (2012)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

And it sounds like they'll continue talking about it for at least 3 more years. (2012)

Well, yeah. But, at least this plan is feasible. I prefer that they're honest and say 2012, rather than lie and say an earlier date. Then, they're forced to "delay" it to the real date.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
shall i wait for bulldozer or this one? damn hard choice.

oh well. go get back the crown amd!

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodaholic134
View Post

Well, yeah. But, at least this plan is feasible. I prefer that they're honest and say 2012, rather than lie and say an earlier date. Then, they're forced to "delay" it to the real date.

With 11 straight quarterly losses, hopefully AMD can put something out of their hat is less than 3 years. I can't imagine them going 6 years without profits and being saved by that chip. If Larrabee is even mildly successful, imagine where it will be in 3 years. In 3 years Intel will already be at 22nm anyway...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

With 11 straight quarterly losses, hopefully AMD can put something out of their hat is less than 3 years. I can't imagine them going 6 years without profits and being saved by that chip. If Larrabee is even mildly successful, imagine where it will be in 3 years. In 3 years Intel will already be at 22nm anyway...

No, I don't believe this chip will save them. I think the Bulldozer architecture is the one to watch.

They're getting closer to a profit. Supposed to be by the end of this year. As long as they stay competitive in performance and king in price, I think they'll be fine.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Well Intel doesn't plan to release 32nm until late 09, early 2010 right? AMD will have 32nm, just not Fusion until 2012, thats not bad considering by 2012 they will have 22nm, that must mean 32nm isn't far away? I still wish they had plans for a 6 core.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodaholic134 View Post
No, I don't believe this chip will save them. I think the Bulldozer architecture is the one to watch.

They're getting closer to a profit. Supposed to be by the end of this year. As long as they stay competitive in performance and king in price, I think they'll be fine.
I think by save he means they will begin to make profit. That is true though. Not having to use onboard video or a videocard will make this fusion processor look a lot more accessible the mainstream, where the money is really at.

IT companies will buy these for workstations. Just a much cheaper way to go. And considering AMD's price/performance stance for quite some time, they would be marketing this more as a mainstream chip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post
Well Intel doesn't plan to release 32nm until late 09, early 2010 right? AMD will have 32nm, just not Fusion until 2012, thats not bad considering by 2012 they will have 22nm, that must mean 32nm isn't far away? I still wish they had plans for a 6 core.
AMD will be going 32nm late 2010. Intel is ahead of the game. Also, both companies are doing 6 cores. AMD is doing a variant of the C2D with 3x2 cores sharing buses. While, Intel is doing 6 individual cores with hyperthreading.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleached View Post
I think by save he means they will begin to make profit. That is true though. Not having to use onboard video or a videocard will make this fusion processor look a lot more accessible the mainstream, where the money is really at.

IT companies will buy these for workstations. Just a much cheaper way to go. And considering AMD's price/performance stance for quite some time, they would be marketing this more as a mainstream chip.

AMD will be going 32nm late 2010. Intel is ahead of the game. Also, both companies are doing 6 cores. AMD is doing a variant of the C2D with 3x2 cores sharing buses. While, Intel is doing 6 individual cores with hyperthreading.
So what socket is the AMD 6 core planned for? AM3 or a new socket. I B SAED if it not AM3. If it isn't planned for AM3 then Intel really has some better planning.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:

So what socket is the AMD 6 core planned for? AM3 or a new socket. I B SAED if it not AM3.
It is Opteron. Sorry, bud.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

AMD already has 6 core Opterons in the works. As well as the new G socket, which will feature 12core (MCM) Opterons. Both of those advancements are coming very soon.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
AMD really needs to consider bringing their 6 core to the desktop if they want to remain competitive to Intel's next offerings. Making another 4 core on a lower nanometer just isn't going to cut it (Or will it?)

I would love to see a 6 core CPU from AMD next year, who knows?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Well I know theres 6 core Opterons but thats server socket, I thought they where coming out with a desktop grade CPU

1 - 20 of 29 Posts