Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
CoolerMaster showed off their new Silent Pro Gold 80G series PSUs at Cebit. The series consists of 6 models ranging from 600W up to 1200W and it should be available around Computex, but unfortunately we don't know the price yet.
Hopefully, we'll know some prices soon, but I have a feeling that these are going to bring Top Dollar.

Quote:
Aside from high efficiency, the new series has a couple of new features. The HTT (heat transform technology) circuit layout improves thermals, while hybrid transformers reduce size by 25% and combine the heatsink with the transformer and Hyper path provides a link between IC and relative components.
I don't know about everyone else, but my 1000W X3 is HUGE. I'd love to see these higher watt PSU's get smaller.

Quote:
Only 1200W and 1000W PSUs will have 135 mm fan (PSU dimension 150x180x86mm), while 900W, 800W, 700W and 600W (PSU dimension 150x160x86mm) will feature silent 120 mm fan.
I'm not so sure I like the 120mm idea, but only time will tell. Can't wait for johnnyguru to get his hands on one of these.

Source

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsfkevski View Post
Can't wait for johnnyguru to get his hands on one of these.
My sentiments exactly.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsfkevski View Post
<snip>
I don't know about everyone else, but my 1000W X3 is HUGE. I'd love to see these higher watt PSU's get smaller.
<snip>

Source
RE: size
I agree, the Fud pictures don't really give any idea of scale...
however...
If you pay close attention to

from about 1:30 you can get a good look at the 1200w SPG insitu and knowing the size of the other components you can extrapolate a good idea of the size from there.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
hopefully coolermaster will put out an amazing product [for once] and keep it in the price range of their other products ;]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phospholipid
View Post

hopefully coolermaster will put out an amazing product [for once] and keep it in the price range of their other products ;]

Both my CPU cooler and PSU are Coolermaster, and they both got great reviews and were decently priced. That's why I bought them.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momsbasement656
View Post

Both my CPU cooler and PSU are Coolermaster, and they both got great reviews and were decently priced. That's why I bought them.

He's speaking on the PSU's.

And the Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU's are not that good. They are decent performance, but over rated on the wattage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

He's speaking on the PSU's.

And the Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU's are not that good. They are decent performance, but over rated on the wattage.

Every review I read said otherwise. JohnnyGuru, HardOCP, etc. seemed to like them. As I remember, the Corsiars were better in some areas, worse in others, but cost more.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Every review I read said otherwise. JohnnyGuru, HardOCP, etc. seemed to like them. As I remember, the Corsiars were better in some areas, worse in others, but cost more.

From Jonny Guru:

Quote:

Provantage is offering this right now for $103.07. That's... uh... not quite what I was hoping to see on this unit, frankly. Think of it this way... you have a 600W modular unit for a hunnert smackers out there competing with the Corsair HX620, which is barely $15 more money. Think about that... 40A @ 12V for this one, 50A for that one. Group regulated here, indy regulated there. Sure, this unit is targeted at the silent crowd, but is it really going to be quieter than the Corsair? I have to wonder. 7.

The performance is good. But they are over-rated in the wattage.

HX650 offers similar performance for only $20 more. While offering more PCIe connectors, more amperage on the 12v rail, and a longer warranty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

View Post

From Jonny Guru:

HX650 offers similar performance for only $20 more. While offering more PCIe connectors, more amperage on the 12v rail, and a longer warranty.

Yep, that's what I remembered. The extra features of the HX650 were not worth the extra money to me. I'm sure they are for some people. Also the fact the HX650 was not modular took it out of the running for me.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yep, that's what I remembered. The extra features of the HX650 were not worth the extra money to me. I'm sure they are for some people.

While the performance is there, the value is not.

You can get a True Power New 650 for the same price, and it performs better. And has the benefits of the HX650 as well. But same warranty as the CM (not 7 years like the Corsair)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
While the performance is there, the value is not.
It had what I needed at the right price for me. If I was only looking at amp per dollar, I'd go for something much cheaper... but I like good PSUs and cases, because you can always reuse them.

Quote:
You can get a True Power New 650 for the same price, and it performs better. And has the benefits of the HX650 as well. But same warranty as the CM (not 7 years like the Corsair)
I like Antec, and have an old TruePower 450. Good stuff. I'm on a single-rail kick right now though, and the New 650 uses 4, as I remember.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momsbasement656 View Post
I like Antec, and have an old TruePower 450. Good stuff. I'm on a single-rail kick right now though, and the New 650 uses 4, as I remember.
Almost all "Multi-rail" PSU's are just a split single rail.

Single Rail vs Multi Rail is a null argument for that reason. And it makes no difference.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Almost all "Multi-rail" PSU's are just a split single rail.

Single Rail vs Multi Rail is a null argument for that reason. And it makes no difference.
Cool, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Quote:

View Post

From Jonny Guru:

Quote:

View Post

Yep, that's what I remembered. The extra features of the HX650 were not worth the extra money to me. I'm sure they are for some people. Also the fact the HX650 was not modular took it out of the running for me.

Are we talking about the HX series (corsair's modular PSU) or the TX Non modular series?

The HX 650W IS Modular with a single 52A 12V rail. Also, as Tator mentioned, assuming you know how to properly manage your rails, multi vs single rail is a moot difference.

EDIT: I've always been pleased with Coolermaster products. Not particularly the best, but good stuff. Friend of mine picked up a CM PSU a while back and it's served him well. He certainly isn't near its max wattage rating but it is in a hot environment (typically ran ~40C in the PSU or more during the summer)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts