Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fudzilla
According to Digitimes, Nvidia's Fermi is still plagued by poor yields, but the company is still expected to have enough cards at launch.TSMC's yields are apparently still under 50 percent and it is unclear whether they can or will improve anytime soon.
[/url]
Not great news for nvidia, guess the yields really were as bad as people made them out to be.

Source:
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18172/65/

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPotato
View Post

I get to see it in action at PAX this weekend

I can't wait!

Same here. Hope it's going to be a cool event.

back on topic: oh look, it's FUD.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
If they really are only getting 50% yields, I wonder if it's better for them to drive ATI into a price drop by pricing low, or to try and make as much money as they can by pricing high.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

If they really are only getting 50% yields, I wonder if it's better for them to drive ATI into a price drop by pricing low, or to try and make as much money as they can by pricing high.

Look at nVidia in the past and guess which way they'll go.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Well, I tried, but it seemed to be an equal split between 'price high' and 'screw ATI'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Holy ***** nvidia must be loosing a but-load of cash on fermi. They are releasing it to maintain market share and are going to take the financial hit. If fermi performed a whole lot better than the radeons, it would be being priced much higher... I cant wait for some actual benches to come out though...

/end speculation

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious_fishes
View Post

the 26th of never.

I think you're wrong. It's in 4 days.

Well. Bad news for Nvidia, but not it's fault. They should move to GlobalFoundaries...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider
View Post

Well. Bad news for Nvidia, but not it's fault. They should move to GlobalFoundaries...

How is it not NVIDIA's fault for making respin and design decisions?

You also don't just change fabs. Moving to GF would have massively increased risks. NVIDIA has been on TSMC for years so they know the process, limits, and engineers. Getting that type of knowledge/relationship would take probably another 6 months to a year.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
How is it not NVIDIA's fault for making respin and design decisions?

You also don't just change fabs. Moving to GF would have massively increased risks.
I mean, a great part of the correct yield percentage depends on the manufacturer.

Also, well, I know it's not easy to change a manufacturing place. Microchips aren't that simple.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider View Post
I mean, a great part of the correct yield percentage depends on the manufacturer.
Of course, TSMC admitted that their 40nm process wasn't resulting in great yields. However, AMD/ATI had enough experience with it to know the issues and design around them.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Of course, TSMC admitted that their 40nm process wasn't resulting in great yields. However, AMD/ATI had enough experience with it to know the issues and design around them.
nVidia's yet to realize that large dies are just not the way to go. That's half the problem.
ATi can produce more chips per wafer than nVidia can.
So even if 50% yields are the same on ATi's side, they still have more GPU's to sell at the end of the day.

That's where nVidia's fault lies.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFPS View Post
Your happy self, I see. This from the person that has been saying Awww not until June or July if ever.
I'll Pm you a copy of my receipt A week from today

Batmobile will have a flat tire on Fri night. Wood screws I'm sure.

I tried to get tickets for pax. No way. Have fun, be lucky and win some thing cool.
Technically, 6 months late, still not number 1

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
So even if 50% yields are the same on ATi's side, they still have more GPU's to sell at the end of the day.
This depends... the error distribution is known not to be uniform and how much redundency is designed into the chip.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts