Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18183/1/

607MHz clock

Since the official launch of Fermi is on Friday US / late Friday night / Saturday morning in Europe, we are getting the last hidden details on the of slower of two Fermi cards.

Geforce GTX 470 has 448 cores, packs 1280MHz GDDR5 memory with a 320-bit memory interface clocked at 1674MHz has a TDP of 215W.

This is still much higher than Radeon HD 5870 TDP of 188W, or 170W TDP of Radeon HD 5850, but as long as it's faster, end users won't mind the TDP value. However, 215W is not a small value for slower of two cards and it will generate quite some heat, but with the help of Nvidia's new fan, temperature should be within the normal range.

Geforce GTX 470 shaders work at 1215MHz or twice as fast as 607MHz core clock and the performance of this card should be close to Radeon HD 5870 and definitely faster than HD 5850.

Much lower than I expected For reference the 5870 has 188 TDP

·
Registered
724 Posts
1) it's FUD

2) it depends on the actual speed of the thing and the price lol

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yay for more speculations and "hidden details." So useless.

True numbers will come out when review sites actually test the power consumption of these cards...which will be very soon now. What if nvidia advertise it as 215W and all the reviewers showed actual power consumption to be 295W? or 150w? or 50w?

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
"Geforce GTX 470 shaders work at 1215MHz or twice as fast as 607MHz core clock and the performance of this card should be close to Radeon HD 5870 and definitely faster than HD 5850."

Good to hear it. A lot of 'people' have been trying to say that the 470 is going to be closer to the 5850. If the 470 can match a 5870s performance, we'll have a winner at $349.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBeeJ
View Post

Maybe the gtx 495 is like asus ARES or sapphire's 5970.
u know triple slot cooler.

MARS you mean. Ares would be cool too though

Why not just SLI two GTX280's though? A triple-slot card would take up more space than two GTX480's side-by-side while costing more, being hotter, and using a single lane.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
MARS you mean. Ares would be cool too though

Why not just SLI two GTX280's though? A triple-slot card would take up more space than two GTX480's side-by-side while costing more, being hotter, and using a single lane.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...nchmarks/News/

The ARES is ASUS's top-shelf ATI card, like the MARS was the top-shelf Nvidia card. MobeeJ was comparing the 495 to special ATI cards. I think.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
All I can say is, good for ATI for energy efficiency... These nVidia cards are going to kill people's electrical bills.

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
All I can say is, good for ATI for energy efficiency... These nVidia cards are going to kill people's electrical bills.
I am sure that for us that run gaming PC's and can afford top-of-the-line hardware, seeing our electric bill increase by a negligible amount (at least here in the US, electricity is CHEAP) will not be an issue in the least bit. Heck, for those of us that don't fold, i doubt we'd even see a difference in power usage/cost.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post
I am sure that for us that run gaming PC's and can afford top-of-the-line hardware, seeing our electric bill increase by a negligible amount (at least here in the US, electricity is CHEAP) will not be an issue in the least bit. Heck, for those of us that don't fold, i doubt we'd even see a difference in power usage/cost.
Ontario wants to increase the price of electricity (unless they already have), where it is going to be hella expensive to use power from like 6a-10p on weekdays, and they somewhat less expensive to use power at any other time.

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Quote:

Is this a serious post?

5870 has a TDP of 188 vs. the 215 mentioned by this article for the 470. Thats a difference of 27 Watts. Assuming you keep your computer on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.. and assuming you pay the US national average for electricity(0.1093 kWh) in a residential area:

((27x8760)/1000)x0.1093 = $25.86 per year.

And that's only if your card is sitting on the TDP (it wont be) for all 8760 hours in the year. Yeah... really breaking the bank there

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
Is this a serious post?

5870 has a TDP of 188 vs. the 215 mentioned by this article for the 470. Thats a difference of 27 Watts. Assuming you keep your computer on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.. and assuming you pay the US national average for electricity(0.1093 kWh) in a residential area:

((27x8760)/1000)x0.1093 = $25.86 per year.

And that's only if your card is sitting on the TDP (it wont be) for all 8760 hours in the year. Yeah... really breaking the bank there

Let's see... IIRC, the 470 wont be competing with the 5870, it will be competing with the 5850, which will make the difference even greater.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...nchmarks/News/

The ARES is ASUS's top-shelf ATI card, like the MARS was the top-shelf Nvidia card. MobeeJ was comparing the 495 to special ATI cards. I think.
Spot on.

Maybe the 495 is not nvidia reference..AIBs will definitely do it

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

A couple watts more under load isn't going to "kill" anybody's power bill.

Considering how well the GTX200's idled, I'd imagine that GF100 idles pretty well too.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

"Geforce GTX 470 shaders work at 1215MHz or twice as fast as 607MHz core clock and the performance of this card should be close to Radeon HD 5870 and definitely faster than HD 5850."

Good to hear it. A lot of 'people' have been trying to say that the 470 is going to be closer to the 5850. If the 470 can match a 5870s performance, we'll have a winner at $349.
I don't know what you're talking about by a "lot", because the vast majority I've seen have said 470 is closer to 5870 than it is to 5850.

Quote:

Is this a serious post?
Is this?

5xxx's idle power management is absolutely ground breaking, in fact 5850, while being one of the fastest cards on the market, also has one of the lowest idle power consumptions of any mid to high end card.

I plugged a 4770 in the other day to test it, and while my 5850 feels lukewarm at idle, and blows out warm air, the 4770 had so much dissipation that it actually felt hot just sitting there idling, and the 4770 is a "cool" running card. Same goes for the GTX260 55nm's I had.

The 5xxx series are revolutionary as far as idle power, and that is the vast majority of power consumed by a GPU in a system not used for folding, etc.

I will be amazed if Nvidia is able to match it with Fermi.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts