Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

At least some of them

We can now confirm that the X58 platform is here to stay. Intel plans to release a new six-core 32nm CPU next year, and the good news is that this chip will continue to support its X58 chipset.

The socket should be the same, LGA 1366, and a 32nm six-core should make for a good high end CPU. The question that Intel cannot officially confirm is if the Gulftown 32nm CPU will work in all existing X58 boards.

The problem is that Intel still doesn’t have the final silicon and that it needs to do a validation with the existing X58 infrastructure. If the motherboard manufacturers used Intel’s design guidelines, they should be fine. But there is no assurance that your X58 motherboard purchased in 2008 or 2009 will work with Gulftown.

That is the bad part, while the good part is that you probably won’t need to change your motherboard and memory. We are sure that with Gulftown 32nm six-core, there will also be newer and better versions of X58 motherboards. Intel obviously has economic recession in mind even, with its high end stuff.

The bottom line is that Gulftown 32nm might work in some X58 boards.

source

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

The bottom line is that Gulftown 32nm might work in some X58 boards.

Some?

It would suck if the early adopters got screwed.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Most of the early adopters here have "The upgrade buy" anyway if you know what I mean. I'm sure some will already have upgraded by the time that Gulftown is released.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
lol some boards... meaning one board, the smackover.

·
OG
4,078 Posts
I might buy this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Put it this way: Core i7 will have had a longer lifespan than almost any other high-end CPU series in the past few years.

65nm Core 2 Extreme: June 2006 - July 2007 (1 year)

45nm Core 2 Extreme: November 2007 - November 2008 (1 year)

45nm Core i7 Extreme: November 2008 - 1H 2010 (~1.5 years)

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Hm... I wonder what the clock speeds on this will be. I chose speed over power the last time I bought, but I think maybe around christmas of this next year I may go power over speed. Gulftown looks interesting...

If the Asus P6T supports it I will be very pleased

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
they're just going to release the extreme mid-year and the rest in december 2010...

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
If Intel are able to increase the clock speeds of the 32nm CPU's over those attained on the current i7 I'll definately be picking one up.

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
This is not new information...

Quote:
It will use the X58 chipset due to the LGA-1366 socket, but there are rumors of a newer version coming in 2010 that will feature support for USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s.

Seriously, FUD, get your act together!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'd personally wait for Sandy Bridge. No sense in going to Westmere.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts