Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The first Larrabee will come as a workstation product, position in the high-end market and we heard that this should happen in second half of 2009. Intel wants to attack the most profitable market, which is obviously Nvdia's cash cow. Today Nvidia holds around 85 per cent of this market and both ATI and Intel want to peace of this action in 2009.

Workstation driver is a complex thing but based on OpenGL as this is what most of the workstation application use but you still need to optimise this driver to perfection to get the desired results from it and to hope to performance leadership in this market.

Workstation market is very attractive as the margins on these products are as high as sixty percent while when you sell a high end graphic card you can only hope to get fifteen percent margin, and this gives you clear idea why companies wants to be the part of it.

Desktop, gaming Larrabee comes later, in 2010
Link:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...10346&Itemid=1

And more news, same subject...

Larrabee might not have Windows XP driver

Quote:
Just Vista and Windows 7

Our sources have shared that Larrabee might not have Windows XP drivers and that the software team will only focus on Vista and Windows 7.

Since first products will go after processional market its highly likely that we will see Linux driver as some of the professional guys use Linux but from what we know there might not be Windows XP driver.

Intel simply wants to move away from this operating system and invest its development time in the future, which is obviously Windows 7. Vista driver is reality as this operating system is gaining market share as we speak as most of the systems do come with Vista and you almost don’t have a choice to go back to Windows XP especially when you buy your PC in local retail store.

Desktop / gaming Larrabee will probably come much later after workstation simply as workstation driver is complex and hard but at the same time you only need to optimise OpenGL as this is what most of the workstation software use while in gaming DirectX plays much more important role.

Link:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...0349&Itemid=34

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emitz989 View Post
And more news, same subject...
From Fudzilla !?

Quote:
Larrabee might not have Windows XP driver
Thats According to Fudzilla which have a history of posting false news

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePath View Post
From Fudzilla !?

Yes from Fudzilla, see the link attached, it's just below the article...

I think this is very plausible. By the time Larrabee first comes out XP will be just about 8 Years old (launched Oct 2001).

I don’t think the majority of current latest tech hardware drivers support Windows ’98?

Besides, by the time the enthusiast Larrabee launches (2010) we will no doubt be using DX11, which to me means that most games will be DX10 /DX10.1 / DX11 and XP doesn’t support any of these.

As for Fudzilla posting false news, personally I find them a good read, news that is more than a couple months away is almost always speculation anyway…

·
Registered
615 Posts
Workstation? Performance wise they'll kill off nVidia thanks to the 16-way shaders, but ATI - probably not.

Now that RV870 MCM rumours are debunked, we're going back to the healthy "stack shaders" speculation.

20 shader clusters (1600 shaders) can fit into a decent sized 40nm die and with relative ease. They would deliver 2.4GFLOPS in theoratical max (unlike games workstation apps use most of it). If I remember you would need a lot of space in Larabee to even get that theoratical max.

Wait, the 5800X2 in workstation version. ZING!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePath
View Post

From Fudzilla !?

They also have a history of reporting actual, factual news and information.

Remember it with a grain of salt(with about a bag of salt), but remember it nonetheless.

EDIT: I've been here for over three years now and I can say that honestly it seems to me that FUD and INQ, both often mocked, and both, though often inaccurate, biased, or downright rumor-mongering, have also had some of the earliest information available...Sure they could be lucky at times, and sure.....if you fling enough poo at the wall, some of it is bound to stick, but honestly this particular bit of news doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility/probability

• Rep+
Reactions: Coma

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdTriton
View Post

They also have a history of reporting actual, factual news and information.

Remember it with a grain of salt(with about a bag of salt), but remember it nonetheless.

EDIT: I've been here for over three years now and I can say that honestly it seems to me that FUD and INQ, both often mocked, and both, though often inaccurate, biased, or downright rumor-mongering, have also had some of the earliest information available...Sure they could be lucky at times, and sure.....if you fling enough poo at the wall, some of it is bound to stick, but honestly this particular bit of news doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility/probability

Agreed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts