Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Cebit 2009: The impressive Z Drive

OCZ has showcased a rather interesting piece of SSD equipment called the Z drive. It packs 1 Terabyte of MLC-based flash memory and some impressive transfer speeds.

According to what OCZ showed so far, the new drive should have maximum read and write speeds of up to 600MB/s and 500MB/s respectively. It uses an x8 PCI-Express interface and comes with a hardware based RAID controller with 256MB of local cache.

Unfortunately, OCZ isn´t talking about the price or the availability date just yet, but in any case this drive still looks impressive. The design of the Z Drive will change as OCZ is working on a different cooling for the drive, and we were told that there will be much talk about this drive.

We will try to get some benchmark scores but for now here are some pictures of it running in a system.

source

It's so big that it has to fit like a GPU?!?!

• Rep+
Reactions: hiiyah777

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
I thought the Black version was a 9800GX2 ;P

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
1998 called, they want their beige back.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Unless they connect through PCI or Sata I have no interest, I don't want to buy a mobo with more slots than a pachinko hall.

·
Old Fartero
777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLeeZeY
View Post

Unless they connect through PCI or Sata I have no interest, I don't want to buy a mobo with more slots than a pachinko hall.

PCI and SATA don't have the bandwidth to take advantage of the drive.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Sorry SLeeZey, this runs off of EISA, it is 1988, and that is actually a high-speed floppy disk controller. You know this is true because a GIJoe movie is comming out, Madonna is still relevant, and the New Kids on the Block are touring.

• Rep+
Reactions: EurekA`!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetos316
View Post

source

It's so big that it has to fit like a GPU?!?!

Give it five years, they will fit 1TB in an SD card and sell it for $10.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I think history will ultimately laugh at this prototype.

I'm all for using a PCI lane for it, that's good. But the beige and it's sheer size are quite laughable. Great progress in the right direction, so good on OCZ for that. But I foresee these drives shrinking so much that the idea of them being so big will be very laughable in the end.

Great post though! Nice to see pics of the prototypes.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hiiyah777
View Post

I'm all for using a PCI lane for it, that's good. But the beige and it's sheer size are quite laughable. Great progress in the right direction, so good on OCZ for that. But I foresee these drives shrinking so much that the idea of them being so big will be very laughable in the end.

Great post though! Nice to see pics of the prototypes.

You mean like at this?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hiiyah777
View Post

Edit: beat me to it, Kirmie

ZOMG! 48MB!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkanor
View Post

PCI and SATA don't have the bandwidth to take advantage of the drive.

SATA2 is the limiting factor in my burst speed. I'll tell you now, 295MBPS and it will not touch above that. Despite that being only 90MBPS higher then it's sustained speed. Let alone will SATA2 handle the next generation storage mediums. SATA3 better do more then double in speed.

·
Overclocking
9,253 Posts
According to what OCZ showed so far, the new drive should have maximum read and write speeds of up to 600MB/s and 500MB/s respectively. It uses an x8 PCI-Express interface and comes with a hardware based RAID controller with 256MB of local cache

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by videoman5 View Post
1998 called, they want their beige back.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
already been posted
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...-tb-raid0.html
I don't know why the checking of posted button never shows duplicate threads...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
Cool. They should think about a version that used multiple SATA ports.
That's kinda like packaging a few separate SSDs in one enclosure then, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
This is super ugly and it is probably a bunch of slow OCZ Core SDDs raided together inside that box.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts