Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:

We learned some bits and pieces on ATI's upcoming RV790 chip and we can now happily confirm that his is yet another 55nm chip from ATI.

The company didn't want to postpone the introduction of the new card in performance segment and therefore did it in 55nm, while RV740 remains the first 40nm. RV740 just launched as a mobile chip, and we've seen it up and running, while the desktop part should arrive in the next month or two.

The new chip is a new architecture, but with some basic concepts taken from the RV770, that is why the chip will be significantly faster than anything based on the RV770. It is not just a speed bump and a better batch of RV770 based Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 chips, it is a newer and better chip.

It looks like this new chip will beat the GTX 260, and it could even get close to GTX285, but at a much more affordable price.

Sounds pretty interesting

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
i thought i've read the title as "rv790 is not faster than rv770"

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I read the title the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
This still smells like FUD, but I wonder if it will be in line with my prediction? It's hard to believe it's as an entirely new architecture... Why waste that time and effort on the 55nm node when 40nm is so close(even if leakage makes 40nm = 55nm in terms of performance/power consumption it's still cheaper)?

If it is a new arch then I'm guessing they've bumped SPs to over 1000(1120 sounds good)... Which would go a long way in justifying it's $100 price premium. GTX 285 might see itself taken down a peg or two.

Either way RV790 or GTX285 @ a similar price point = hard to "lose"

Given the problems @ 40nm perhaps the aforementioned cards will have a long run as top dogs(think G80)?

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlyFox
View Post

^^
Me too

OP maybe add "just"
"RV790 is not just a faster RV770" ??
really clarifies the title!

AMD is continuing to thrill and amaze in the battle against NV! ("shock and awe" comes to mind)
and New cores only means price drops on current cores
; and those drops are going to be in addition to the huge price drops they just announced!
(which are already reflected at e-tailors)

(I mean... I bought my 4870 used (and thought I got a whopper of a deal) and now; not even two weeks later.... same exact price brand new at the egg!
Oh well, that's the game we play here! (especially with the GFX)
So, looks like Crossfire time for all the boys and girls!!

GO GO GO Ati (and NV!)

Cheers ALL

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAHOP240
View Post

Source

Sounds pretty interesting

Well hell....ATI said this when they first announced the damn chip. The rumor mill spread said it was supposed to be an RV770 revamp. I just can't wait to see this sucker spank the GTX 285. Too bad it's so late in the game to create another Dual GPU....or is it

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX
View Post

Well hell....ATI said this when they first announced the damn chip. The rumor mill spread said it was supposed to be an RV770 revamp. I just can't wait to see this sucker spank the GTX 285. Too bad it's so late in the game to create another Dual GPU....or is it

we'll have to see for the temps. if it's just about as hot as the rv770, i'm sure there will be an x2 version

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arkheii View Post
Wow... maybe I should have waited for this and CrossFired.
lol yeah u coulda waited and in three months somethign better would be out its rediculous how quickly new things come out i mean sure if u got thousands of dollars to blow every couple months on new hardware then by all means go ahead lol but im sticking with my 4870x2 crossfired for atleast a good year before i ditch the cards.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Hmm... a new architecture? If that's the case, why not just give it the HD5K? My guess would be some slight tweaks but the overall design would be the same. A new architecture would have required a lot of resources and redesigning and they've been working on pushing 40nm out the door. It's more plausible that the tweaks came from TSMC on the manufacturing end, freeing AMD up for their 40nm projects.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
So its like R600->RV670?

RV790 will likely be a new core, with some subtle architecture changes that will improve performance per clock while allowing higher clocks.

I'm fine with that. I doubt it will eclipse the GTX 280, but it should come awfully close, while costing less than 2/3 as much.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

So its like R600->RV670?

RV790 will likely be a new core, with some subtle architecture changes that will improve performance per clock while allowing higher clocks.

I'm fine with that. I doubt it will eclipse the GTX 280, but it should come awfully close, while costing less than 2/3 as much.

R670 wasn't a performance improvement per se but when looked from power and silicon area perspectives it was a great deal better than R600,RV790 is to be on improved 55nm process so some architectural changes are bound to happen,i dunno if it will have something along the lines of RV740's ROPs though.as for eclipsing GTX280,i think it should do so.4870 has run it close for a year now,it would be disappointing if ati don't improve their new card at least that much.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Here is an article about the RV790 costing only $200USD. Makes complete sense right now if you look at all the HD4870 prices. Most of them are around 200 and dropping.

The RV740 is supposed to debut at $100USD. And seeing as the HD4850 is running for under that right now, everything looks set for ATi.

I hope this all holds true.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/radeon-hd...ch-on-apr-6th/

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlyFox
View Post

I panicked.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry about the title all, I just took it strate from the FUD website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

Once again, this chip cannot beat the gtx 285

Yea I saw that review too...

Fact is, we don't know how well it performs. A 4870 right now is about 80% as strong as a GTX280-85 and this card is suppose to be around 20% faster so it might just be right around the performance of a 280 but still priced alot less. Which means it will sell more at a higher margin than a 280/85. Nv can lower their prices accordingly but it'll cost em.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This looks interesting, any date range on these yet? I really want to get a top of the line card for my birthday in April, but 200 series prices are just way too high.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts