Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

RV740 was the pipe cleaner

We had a chance to meet with Eric Demers, AMD CTO graphics Products group, and Carrell Killebrew, ATI's Director of GPU product planning group and we spent some pleasant time talking about technology and Evergreen, the card that we call RV870, should have healthy yields.

We have learned that RV740 was a pipe cleaner and that ATI learned lot from it that will save them from some troubles when the RV870 comes out. ATI still calls this card Evergreen, but we are quite sure that this is a performance card, the successor of ATI's RV790 generation.

Since the 40nm process looks like a tricky one, ATI needed a pipe cleaner card, which is basically 55nm card shrunk, optimised and done in 40nm, and such a card definitely made the transition much easier. The bottom line is, that these guys expect that RV870 yields to be much better than then ones they experienced with RV740 products.

SOURCE

It may be FUD, but interesting FUD at that.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm liking that more and more reports are saying sooner then later on availability of these cards! I'm just hoping I can grab a 5870 equivalent by the end of Oct.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

A good test experient it is, though.

The 4770 is compact, cheap, and fast (Though a bit ugly)

A bit?
That stock cooler made my turds look pretty!

In other news, it's not like this is a surprise. Companies test stuff on us all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

A good test experient it is, though.

The 4770 is compact, cheap, and fast (Though a bit ugly)

Do you mean "a bit ugly" as in wanting to stab my own eyes out with a rusty can opener, or "a bit ugly" as in slamming myself repeatedly into a brick wall until I die from head trauma and internal bleedng?

·
Linux Evangelist
2,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spxprovost
View Post

ill believe it when i can buy it off the egg

qft.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandh
View Post

Do you mean "a bit ugly" as in wanting to stab my own eyes out with a rusty can opener, or "a bit ugly" as in slamming myself repeatedly into a brick wall until I die from head trauma and internal bleedng?

epic!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spxprovost
View Post

ill believe it when i can buy it off the egg

Well something's got to be in the pipeline cuz the 4850's are getting crazy cheap. I saw an XFX 4850 on the egg today for $89!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post
How's nvidia coming along with 40nm?
From what I've read, the yields of the GT300 are gradually getting better. I'm pretty sure they're not going to be as high as the RV870 because it's not a new architecture and they had the 4770 to test with.

But, with that in mind, I think the GT300 will be out very late 2009 to early 2010. Should be a folding monster.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I think "good" will have to be redifined before this is all over. 60 percent may become the new great yields and only replacing a sold item once out of that 60 percent may become the new great failure rate.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandh View Post
I quite like the looks of it

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
wooo can't wait.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.