Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


Whitesburg reference

P55 is the chipset that will support Lynnfield CPUs and it will debut in Q3 2009. The new quad-core will be Nehalem based, with dual channel memory controller and DDR3 only memory support.

Naturally Intel will have its own motherboards, while partners will be free to come up with their own ideas. The cheap motherboard will sit next to DG41MJ motherboard in the Classic market segment for Core 2 Duo and Quad. Classic market for Intel is one step better than Essential, the Atom and Celeron cheap boards.

This reference design board comes in micro-ITX format but we don´t know any other details than the fact that it supports Lynnfield socket H1 support. The socket H1 has 1156 pins as we reported before.

Intel also plans three more, more expensive P55 boards that should debut in Q3 2009, for higher market segments.


Source
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,062 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by uberjon
View Post

all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"

but that is the reason it is so cheap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,000 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by uberjon
View Post

all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"

That's probably what they have in store for us. They are top dog with their tech crippled, so why burn on all cylinders when they can simply unleash i7 later when Bulldozer comes out.

If AMD ever dies, all we will see is a single Intel CPU architecture undergo 20 different iterations, each of which will debut as a different product line.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"
Almost none, because for the most part you're wrong. Only a very select few tasks show any real benefits to more bandwidth than DDR2 800 cas4 levels.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"
Your first rant has failed, as none of your points are valid.

1. Dual-channel is not "crippled" compared to tri-channel. In fact, there is almost no difference in performance. I've tried it myself. Even in purely memory related benchmarks, tri has maybe a 15% advantage over dual, which translates into just about zero in 99% of real world apps. Also, even a single channel i7 setup has considerably more bandwidth than your current setup (which has plenty sufficent bandwidth as it is).

The only difference for the market segment i5 is targeted at is cost. i5 boards and CPUs will be half the price of current i7 stuff, and will likely be capable of very similar performance.

2. CPU core voltage is separate from the uncore (QPI, memory controler, L3 cache) voltage, and separate from the chipset voltage.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,579 Posts
all i'm interested in is whether it'll scale crossfire as well as i7 does. same architecture, so it should right ? (is the architecture alone what enables the scaling ?)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"
because benches have shown i7 with dual channel is almost exactly the same speed as i7 with triple channel?

even if i5 had triple channel support i wouldn't get triple channel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
all i have to say is, "boooo!!" i mean.. you take and create a chip capable of tri-channel.. then you cripple it taking a step backwards... WTH?

i don't know how many people would agree with me, but i feel that memory bandwidth plays a key role in computer performance.. the fact that intel crippled I7 partially by the cpu voltage = northbridge voltage.. and now this shows how intel is either dumb or intentionally trying to limit performance so they can roll in more cash while re-releasing the tech down the road to make you rebuy the same product "un-crippled"

// end my first true "rant"
+1. you want cheap, buy core 2. They dont need a cripped i7 that wont even outperform yorkfield (by the looks of it i doubt it will beat it, maybe by a tiny bit).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
That's probably what they have in store for us. They are top dog with their tech crippled, so why burn on all cylinders when they can simply unleash i7 later when Bulldozer comes out.

If AMD ever dies, all we will see is a single Intel CPU architecture undergo 20 different iterations, each of which will debut as a different product line.
If you and the world have a brain, you had better hope to God that AMD never dies. They are the only reason that Intel is even being this generous with you. If it wasn't for AMD, Intel would be releasing processors at about $400 a piece for their bottom of the line. You guys should really understand the true definition of the word monopoly and what it truly means. If Intel ever has a true monopoly, they will almost cease research and development, and shut down most of their fabs because they only need enough fabs to produce at the most profitable margin. Which means, if they have to create a scarcity to improve profits, they will do so and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Long live AMD. It's the only reason anyone of you Intel fanboys have anything to brag about.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,968 Posts
Well, that is only if AMD goes bankrupt or if intel buys out AMD. What would probably happen is a competitor would buy AMD and their CPU license, and then go on to try and fill the viod left behind. That or American anti-trust laws would force intel to break apart like they did AT&T. Still, nobody wants to see AMD go under, and I mean nobody. Not even intel I don't think.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,584 Posts
.....

I don't see why you guys are so worried about AMD going under. AMD's not going anywhere. They're doing better now than they have in years, Ruinz is gone and nVidia's looking for an X86 license that Intel's not likely to grant them. AMD's not going to go anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sgdude
View Post

+1. you want cheap, buy core 2. They dont need a cripped i7 that wont even outperform yorkfield (by the looks of it i doubt it will beat it, maybe by a tiny bit).

It will run circles around Yorkfield in anything but games.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top