Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Linux inventor Linus Torvalds said that Microsoft hatred is an Open Source disease which prevented the company from being a good decent citizen.

Last week Microsoft submitted 20000 lines of code to the Linux kernel, all licensed under the GPL. Torvalds said that he hadn't seen the code yet and he is not interested in driver code anyway. He said he was a big believer in "technology over politics". I don't care who the code comes from, as long as there are solid reasons for it to exist and he didn't have to worry about licensing issues.

“I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out,†he wrote in his blog.

Torvalds said that there were 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why he does not call what he does 'free software'. Free software seems to mean that you have to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred. Torvalds said that he had no doubt that Microsoft's code release was for selfish reasons but that was how all open source code was written! “We all "scratch our own itches". It's why I started Linux, it's why I started git, and it's why I am still involved. It's the reason for everybody to end up in open source, to some degree,†he said.

No one complains when hardware companies write drivers for the hardware they produce. Neither is there muttering when IBM funds all the Power development, and works on enterprise features because they sell into the enterprise.

source

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The code is just to allow linux to be a fast guest under windows. A flip flop. Everyone wants windows to be a fast guest under Linux so the code is a concede and a marginalization at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if despite how much it pee'd off linus if distro's refused to use it.

·
Premium Member
8,064 Posts
I hate Microsoft, and I think that it is a disease... There was no one to tell me about it, or why I should hate microsoft, but I do, because I looked at what Microsoft doesn't let you do, and looked at the alternatives (Aka Linux and mac-- although I hate apple too, the os is a mix between being locked like Microsoft, but still has some ability of customization like Linux).

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
I hate Microsoft, and I think that it is a disease... There was no one to tell me about it, or why I should hate microsoft, but I do, because I looked at what Microsoft doesn't let you do, and looked at the alternatives (Aka Linux and mac-- although I hate apple too, the os is a mix between being locked like Microsoft, but still has some ability of customization like Linux).

How does windows keep you "locked" with no customization? you can completely customize windows on so many different levels, BUT its not necessarily stock with the os you may need a 3rd party app.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
So....you are using Windows?

Edit: And in the Windows 7 fan club?

LOL

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Like I always say:

"I like Linux, but I hate about half of it's users."

Tell me you've never run in to the annoying Linux Zealot now and again that will gladly share his inside information on how Microsoft is going to steal your brains and gets those buldged out veins when you mention that Windows 7 is "pretty good."

·
Registered
418 Posts
Seriously, Microsoft hatred is something of a meme for people "in the know" in our community. But most of them don't really have a reason. I guess they think bashing the big guy makes them feel they know what they're talking about.

I'm not saying there aren't some big cons to MS politics and in a lot of cases their software, its just that most of them don't know what those cons are.

Case in point, I recently installed Vista x64 because I needed a MS OS that could handle 4GB of RAM. When I mentioned it to a friend he said "Vista sucks". Then I asked him what was it he didn't like but he couldn't give me a straight answer other than he didn't like it for the 20 minutes or so he had used it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
People hate Microsoft because it's cool to hate Microsoft. I like both Windows and Linux. I run Vista and the 7 RC on all of my home computers, and I run Pelican HPC Linux on my cluster because Windows just doesn't have the support for that kind of application. But I don't think Linux is ready for the desktop for most users, and Linux zealots need to get that through their thick skulls lol.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I just rofl @ ppl that say vista sucks for that same reason, ahh its a resource hog... yes it does eat up a good bit of memory, but when you can get 4gb of ddr2 ram for <50$ there should be no complaint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
These arguments are just sad. Leopard is good for recording music, photo and visual editing, creating cinema works, and being able to do your day to day in the midst of it. When I have school projects and presentations, I use our Mac. Windows is good for experimenting with hardware, gaming, and being able to do your day to day in the midst of it. When I want to play Steam, I use our PC. Now of course, there's some criss-cross between the two operating systems such as Adobe CS4 Suite for Windows and Crossover Games for Leopard, but if you want the most options and the best quality of software, you should use the Operating System that's meant for doing it. There is no point in losing your virginity to your favorite OS and doing everything in your power to tweak to be able to do everything that the other OS-es can do, because it's just going to turn out to be buggy, slow, bad, and bad. This is sadly what Windows, Leopard, *and* Linux are doing between Boot Camp, Crossover, OSX Transformation Pack for Windows, etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i applaud him for not jumping on the 'i hate microsoft bandwagon'. after all, there are plenty of things that Windows and other microsoft products are better than Linux and / or Apple products for.

examples would include games, and compatibility...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH
View Post

How does windows keep you "locked" with no customization? you can completely customize windows on so many different levels, BUT its not necessarily stock with the os you may need a 3rd party app.

he might mean that it might be more difficult to customise certain aspects of windows, ie the explorer, the window manager, etc...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thewebmaster179
View Post

Seriously, Microsoft hatred is something of a meme for people "in the know" in our community. But most of them don't really have a reason. I guess they think bashing the big guy makes them feel they know what they're talking about.

I'm not saying there aren't some big cons to MS politics and in a lot of cases their software, its just that most of them don't know what those cons are.

Case in point, I recently installed Vista x64 because I needed a MS OS that could handle 4GB of RAM. When I mentioned it to a friend he said "Vista sucks". Then I asked him what was it he didn't like but he couldn't give me a straight answer other than he didn't like it for the 20 minutes or so he had used it.

Windows Vista did, and does, suck; it reigns a gleaming symbol of the technology world's entropy. Upon initial purchase of a retail product, it should be ready for commercial and consumer use. Products that are released incomplete or in a state of malfunction are typically forced into recall. In this ideology lies the root of my claim.

Windows Vista was released in a state that, for all concerning purposes, was not only incomplete and in some cases broken, but that was also inferior in many regards to it's own predecessor. Followed by the unequivocally shady marketing tactics of Vista's parent company, as opposed to efforts to address the issue, there is little misunderstanding in why Vista was a disaster.

It is not my argument that Vista was not improved with time. However, I would contend to argue that Windows 7, not Vista SP2, is the state that windows Vista should have been shipped; leaving room for it's successor to do something truly worthwhile rather than being consider a success simply for fixing Vista's problems.

As a side note, I use Windows 7 and am quite happy with it, right out of the box. Exactly how I should have felt when I first installed Vista.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk
View Post

It's not cool to hate.

+1, because you're right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ¤ Infinity ¤
View Post

These arguments are just sad. Leopard is good for recording music, photo and visual editing, creating cinema works, and being able to do your day to day in the midst of it. When I have school projects and presentations, I use our Mac. Windows is good for experimenting with hardware, gaming, and being able to do your day to day in the midst of it. When I want to play Steam, I use our PC. Now of course, there's some criss-cross between the two operating systems such as Adobe CS4 Suite for Windows and Crossover Games for Leopard, but if you want the most options and the best quality of software, you should use the Operating System that's meant for doing it. There is no point in losing your virginity to your favorite OS and doing everything in your power to tweak to be able to do everything that the other OS-es can do, because it's just going to turn out to be buggy, slow, bad, and bad. This is sadly what Windows, Leopard, *and* Linux are doing between Boot Camp, Crossover, OSX Transformation Pack for Windows, etc etc etc.

Is it not the ultimate goal of technology to be unitedly clever and encompass all aspects of our lives and existence? To wake up one morning with perhaps a cerebral implant that gives us the power of god himself: omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence? Perhaps a step further that our being itself is formed with divine simplicity. How much thought have you put into the final outcome of technological growth?

Here's a start: Technology

In an inevitable line of thought: all of my devices should be able to do what every other device does. And if it can't yet, in the future it might. Growing. Learning. Evolving.

We're playing god you know.

My omni-device.

My precious.

• Rep+
Reactions: RefinedCausality77

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
jcettison,

I don't believe vista was the problem @ the launch... It was the software manufactures fault and hardware manufactures fault for not having drivers/compatible software ready for the launch of the new OS.

Now that its been out for several years people odnt have problems with it because all of there stuff that worked on xp can now work with vista.

What makes win7 different is because its on the same kernal as vista... thus giving some what compatibility right off the bat. So anything working with vista would work with win7 giving the perception that it is a "better" os because it doesnt have any compatibility issues.

Now mind you win7 is definitely an improvement over vista for the simple fact that it doesnt use up as much resources as vista does. Now for most of us on OCN we have rigs that can handle vista flawlessly as far as hardware goes and dont really complain about how vista uses up X amount of ram because we have ample amounts.

Now like I said before the biggest problem with vista when its first release was that of lack of compatibility with the software and it was a ram hog...
Well both of those have been addressed by todays market. I mean this by well software vendors added support for vista, and that memory in general is MUCH MUCH cheaper then it was 3 years ago.

So I blame the software/hardware vendors/manufactures for there lack of support for vista's primary "flaws"

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH
View Post

jcettison,

I don't believe vista was the problem @ the launch... It was the software manufactures fault and hardware manufactures fault for not having drivers/compatible software ready for the launch of the new OS.

Now that its been out for several years people odnt have problems with it because all of there stuff that worked on xp can now work with vista.

What makes win7 different is because its on the same kernal as vista... thus giving some what compatibility right off the bat. So anything working with vista would work with win7 giving the perception that it is a "better" os because it doesnt have any compatibility issues.

Now mind you win7 is definitely an improvement over vista for the simple fact that it doesnt use up as much resources as vista does. Now for most of us on OCN we have rigs that can handle vista flawlessly as far as hardware goes and dont really complain about how vista uses up X amount of ram because we have ample amounts.

Now like I said before the biggest problem with vista when its first release was that of lack of compatibility with the software and it was a ram hog...
Well both of those have been addressed by todays market. I mean this by well software vendors added support for vista, and that memory in general is MUCH MUCH cheaper then it was 3 years ago.

So I blame the software/hardware vendors/manufactures for there lack of support for vista's primary "flaws"

To some degree, certainly, this can be blamed on hardware manufacturers. Though, without going too in-depth about an argument I consider long dead (or at least dead since Vista SP1 hit the mighty interwebs), deflecting a bulk of Vista's issues anywhere but at it's creator would be naive.

Microsoft had it's hand in the cookie jar and made amends once they were caught; but not for a lack of public outrage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.