Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really curious in knowing if full cover water blocks are better, worse, or no different from individual blocks in regards to performance. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
690 Posts
What I've gathered from reading is that the single block will reflect lower temps because it is less heat overall being entered into the WC loop/system, since you'd use air to cool the VRAM. If you cover the VRAM with a full cover block, it's that much more heat going into the loop, which requires more radiator and probably has lower flow rates.

I'm sure performance of cooling on VRAM will depend on your setup. If you've got a high air-flow system, then maybe VRAM sinks make sense, but if you rely primarily on your watercooling loop for cooling because you want to limit fans and fan noise, then you'd want a full cover block to ensure that the VRAM is getting the best cooling.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D.;13037070
What I've gathered from reading is that the single block will reflect lower temps because it is less heat overall being entered into the WC loop/system, since you'd use air to cool the VRAM. If you cover the VRAM with a full cover block, it's that much more heat going into the loop, which requires more radiator and probably has lower flow rates.

I'm sure performance of cooling on VRAM will depend on your setup. If you've got a high air-flow system, then maybe VRAM sinks make sense, but if you rely primarily on your watercooling loop for cooling because you want to limit fans and fan noise, then you'd want a full cover block to ensure that the VRAM is getting the best cooling.
Alot of the fullcover blocks I've seen include VRAM coverage, though some I've seen only cover the NB and SB. if I did it I would want all three covered. Because of that I wonder if there would be a difference, performance wise of course.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
As long as there is water flowing over the same areas, the difference shouldn't be much. I'd prefer a full-cover block, though, since it seems more solid and there are typically only two fittings to bother with.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You'll likely be able to squeeze more performance out of the board VRMs by covering them in a waterblock, which will give you more over-voltage ability, which should lead to more OC potential out of the board, though I still don't know the difference between overhead based on the chip or overhead based on the mobo, and how to know which one crashes first.

It sounded like those 6core AMD chips really push the motherboards hard with voltage utilization, so that may be a good idea if that really is the case (I don't know, I didn't follow it long enough and don't have enough experience to say for sure). I would look in some AMD or motherboard forums for info on it and see if it helps with your situation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;13037133
As long as there is water flowing over the same areas, the difference shouldn't be much. I'd prefer a full-cover block, though, since it seems more solid and there are typically only two fittings to bother with.
That's why I'm leaning towards the FC B. also the SB part won't get in the way of graphics cards.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;13037133
I'd prefer a full-cover block, though, since it seems more solid and there are typically only two fittings to bother with.
Most important to me, more so than performance. It's safer to have less fittings to be concerned with leaks from.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
A full cover block, will, by the nature of the beast, be more restrictive than single blocks, but you seriously win out on looks and ease of installation. Add in the fact you need 6 or more fittings for the single block setup over the 2 for fullboard, and the cost is pretty similar between the setups.
If I wanted to water cool my board, it'd be a single block. I'm pretty sure the CHIV has the same fusion system as the CHIII, where you can remove most of the NB heatsink and replace it with a waterblock? This is a decent halfway house, as the stock heatpipe remains and the single block on the NB cools the whole board, requires only one block and a pair of fittings. It's worth considering.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D.;13037192
Most important to me, more so than performance. It's safer to have less fittings to be concerned with leaks from.
but it have more o-ring sealing surface area, it's easier/less annoying to pin point a leak with fittings, plus if the full coverage block for the motherboard has an acrylic top, it might crack and leak anyways.
then you have the whole things how you can always reuse the universal blocks on your next motherboard. . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.