Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is my first real mod, so take a look and see what you think.

Here is the standard Antec Twelve Hundred side panel. I never really liked the design of this window, I wanted to see ALL of the inside of my case.

First I took off all the screws, and took out the plastic and the mesh.

Then I made some measurements on the acrylic. (Purchased at http://delviesplastics.com/. I used 1/8 inch.)

In order to prevent the side panel from being scratched during the cutting, I covered the panel in a low-tack painters tape. This kind of tape doesn't leave a sticky residue after you peel it off.

To get a rounded edge I used the bottom of a can of canned air. It works perfect, but you can use anything with a circular bottom (like a spray-paint can).

Now for the fun part, the cutting. You have to make a starter hole with a dremel so you can insert the jigsaw.

This is about 1/4 of the way done with cutting. I highly suggest hearing protection, as that jigsaw is LOUD (might just be my old one though).

Here is the panel with the full cut-out.

I didn't get a picture of me applying the grommet edging, but it's pretty self explanatory. The kind I used was this http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21507. It's fairly easy to use, but make sure you don't cut it to short (I did). It really gives the panel a clean professional look.

Here's the cut piece of acrylic, with the backing removed.

I put down some double-sided adhesive (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=22268), I got it at a local hardware store and you probably can as well. Make sure to use 4010 though, as that is the strongest. This tape is used by MNPCTech to do windows, and it has never failed them once. You can use an exacto knife to peel off the backing.

EDIT: I have found that it is better to make strips that are half the width of the strips shown in this picture. Simply cut it down the center (with a really good pair of scissors) and apply. Also, put down two layers of the tape to make sure you have a 100% seal with the acrylic (you have to be higher than the grommet edging). Then use strips about 6" in length in segments around the panel.

Here is the finished product, you almost can't see the acrylic in there (cleaned with windex and microfiber towel). I'm quite happy with the finished product.

This method can be used on any side panel of any case, so go do your own!

What do ya'll think, OK for a first mod?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Looks good, nice job
. What does it look like on the case?

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Looks really clean and much better than the stock side window, I never did like the side window on the 1200's.

When I made mine I did it the same way, only to realise my side panel is a little to thick for u-channel and once the acrylic was mounted on the inside it looked crap
i've since bought a new side panel and plan on doing it again sometime

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
great job on the classic window mod. Your panel looks 100x better now that the gaudy triangle vent thing is gone
+rep

·
Premium Member
20,575 Posts
Nice job. What about black modders mesh instead of a window though? Better airflow and the black, hexogonal pattern is pretty nice as well.

·
Junglist
7,234 Posts
Smooth and elegant, but more to the point, no ugly triangles!

and Rep+

Anymore modding ideas/plans?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.