Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to take a perfectly good computer apart to make some minor changes to my system so here are the details.

The main item was to make the inside black since it looks so much better. Secondary were filtering the intakes and get rid of the red LEDs on the front fan. Everything else was just because. . .

Mods/Additions:
Black interior
Nylon stocking filtering
Red LEDs on front fan replaced with green
120mm bottom intake fan with black grill
Green UV SATA cables
2 300mm UV CCFLs one with a ghetto light blocker

Here are the pics and rambling description for everyone's perusal:

First the mess made by this:

Painted MB side panel:

Painted rear:

Painted inside and parts:

This is the front fan panel which seems like CM were going to make it a filtered one or something but lost interest:

That is fine; it makes it easy for me to use for easy and clean filter setup. I rounded the expanding mount posts off a little so it would come off easier for cleaning and applied stocking to the removable mesh panel:

Putting it back together (the top drive quic-release was missing springs so it isn't on):

Green LEDs (regular ones, i didn't have any water-clear high powered ones
):

120mm bottom intake with a black grill from Petra's:

Guts:

The backside:

The side panel "filter" was done with double sticky tape and stocking with the fan screwed on afterwards. I also did the bottome PS area intake the same way, but no pics of that:

The UV CCFL that is mounted on the side of the drive bay has black electrical tape on the front edge to keep the UV good, but the purple to a minimum:

Finished (with flash, without, without side panel):

I have a bunch more little things I am thinking of such as making an actual frame thing for the site and bottom filters instead of the ghetto-sexy tape way. I'll probably redo the front fan with brighter green leds (it is very understated now) and line the window with green EL wire. I wanted to get it back up now so I can play more Fallout3 and L4D!

UPDATE: now water cooled
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...ml#post8481465
And it never ends:
http://www.overclock.net/8894905-post1803.html
http://www.overclock.net/10527014-post4586.html
Thanks for looking!

--Rome

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
looks great man!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Those are some pretty wild SATA cables! Looking good man! That "Ogre" Sleeving will really clean things up in there. Have patience with it. Sleeving was one thing that took WAY longer than I anticipated.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
This is probably a bit late but I thought I would post it since I found custom made HAF 932 DCAMs' that fit the side door bottom and front of the case. These enable you to pull and clean them without having to even crack the case.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26221

So now I get to go back in and flip my front fan to intake again. That was another thing that CM chinsed me on. No polarity switches.

Anyway thought I should pass the link along to everyone.

~Ceadder

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpt View Post
Good job.

I need put some “filter†in my HAF.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
This is probably a bit late but I thought I would post it since I found custom made HAF 932 DCAMs' that fit the side door bottom and front of the case. These enable you to pull and clean them without having to even crack the case.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26221

So now I get to go back in and flip my front fan to intake again. That was another thing that CM chinsed me on. No polarity switches.

Anyway thought I should pass the link along to everyone.

~Ceadder

Yeah they've been mentioned a few times in the HAF 932/922 thread (latest time): http://www.overclock.net/computer-ca...ml#post8569738

Too bad they are $40, it's only a couple bucks for pantyhose.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsaken_id View Post
Yeah they've been mentioned a few times in the HAF 932/922 thread (latest time): http://www.overclock.net/computer-ca...ml#post8569738

Too bad they are $40, it's only a couple bucks for pantyhose.
Yes, but panty hose looks tacky.

~Ceadder

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman
View Post

Yes, but panty hose looks tacky.

~Ceadder

Lol, maybe if it was out in the open or i was walking around in it.

You can't even notice the side much since it's behind mesh. The front panel looks like a speaker front mostly.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
I guess, but I'm one of those anal retentive types. If I know it's there then you can see it's there.

~Ceadder

Quote:

Lol, maybe if it was out in the open or i was walking around in it.

You can't even notice the side much since it's behind mesh. The front panel looks like a speaker front mostly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This looks really good man, i think i'm going to go down the same path as you, and not dismantle the case completely, but rather spray it with the majority of the unscrew able/unclip able parts.
Did you sand it down at all?

-Jeci-

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Make sure to have some ZipLocs on hand to keep the parts safe. Especially the springs from the thumb clips. Those things an get away from you pretty easy if you're not careful.

~Ceadder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeci
View Post

This looks really good man, i think i'm going to go down the same path as you, and not dismantle the case completely, but rather spray it with the majority of the unscrew able/unclip able parts.

-Jeci-

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeci View Post

-Jeci-
Thanks. It really depends on the kind of paint on what you need to do. In my case, I tryed the just paint method and had poor results. It would flake off, so i brushed it off with a brass bristle brush and then primed it before painting.

If I every have to do it again, I will either prime then paint first, plasti-dip it, or have it powercoated (if steel or alumninum) or annodized (if aluminum and have $$ to burn).

--Rome

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ignore this post please. Still not sure how to deleter posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok so ive finally gotten round to buying all my paint and stuff, what should i rub down the innards of the case with - also how much should i rub off?
Sorry about the questions, i'm sure there's a million tutorials on how to do this, i would prefer to ask people who've actually done this!

Cheers - Jeci -

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeci View Post
Ok so ive finally gotten round to buying all my paint and stuff, what should i rub down the innards of the case with - also how much should i rub off?
Sorry about the questions, i'm sure there's a million tutorials on how to do this, i would prefer to ask people who've actually done this!

Cheers - Jeci -
Not a bother with questions.

Basically just give it a rub down with a scotch-brite pad or similar to create light scratches for the primer to hold onto. Once that is done, wipe it off with a clean cloth to get all the dust off and prime, then paint.

Take your time and use light coats with the paint so you don't get runs.

--Rome

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:

Not a bother with questions.

Basically just give it a rub down with a scotch-brite pad or similar to create light scratches for the primer to hold onto. Once that is done, wipe it off with a clean cloth to get all the dust off and prime, then paint.

Take your time and use light coats with the paint so you don't get runs.

--Rome
Cheers for the quick reply man! I'll get started with it this weekend on my day off! I'll post pictures ASAP, i hope it turns out as well as your build!

Cheers - Jeci -

1 - 20 of 22 Posts