Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy about 20 PC's Full with screen and tower.

What is the best way to do it? buy parts and make it or find sites that premake them like on pricewatch.com?

Specs dont matter as long as I can surf the net and use word.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Dub View Post
Not bad, but no OS unless OP is planning on installing linux on all of them.
You do know that the Acer Aspire has Windows XP on it, right?

Or you can buy some refurbished bulk from Dell, HP, Acer, or whichever company that sells prebuilts. Custom Building a $300 w/ monitor is not really possible.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy +rep, that acer sounds perfect, Wondering if you can install windows 7 on them? because i was given 50 copies of windows 7 pro from microsoft for the school and bunch of other software?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doc2142 View Post
Thanks guy +rep, that acer sounds perfect, Wondering if you can install windows 7 on them? because i was given 50 copies of windows 7 pro from microsoft for the school and bunch of other software?
They should handle windows 7, nvidia ion graphics are supposed to be able to run aero with no problems. I've installed win7 on low end rigs and they did surprisingly well. Most recently I put together a 1.5ghz sempron system for my Mom with 2x512mb of ram with win7 and it did great for basic stuff like internet and ms office. With some tweaking you can get win7 to under 400mb memory usage at idle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have win 7 on my netbook and it runs great so it would would work fine on a nettop (almost the same specs). Make sure you dont need dvd drives b/c they dont have them. You would need to put win7 on a usb stick to install.... Its pretty easy

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Craigslist. A few guys in this area sell used complete Dell systems for around $125 with a fresh install of XP Pro SP3. I actually bought one a while back. It wasn't a bad machine at all for just surfing the net. I went to the guys house to pick it up and he had like 30 of them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doc2142
View Post

Oh nice. What about durability, Do the acer last long?

Some people bag on Acer but my netbook is going on a year now with no problems, and thats with me tossing it in a backpack nearly every day. The nettop comes with a one year warranty. Used systems from craigslist are attractive from a price standpoint, but they don't come with a warranty and I just don't see them lasting longer than a new system, even a low priced Acer. Also, if you go with the nettop your school's electric bill will thank you, they use practically no electricity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well you can build a basic tower with XP Home Edition for around $230. The hard part is where do you find 20 matching monitors, keyboards, and mice for $70 per computer?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Call a rep and ask if they offer discount for grouping first

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallashigh
View Post

Well you can build a basic tower with XP Home Edition for around $230. The hard part is where do you find 20 matching monitors, keyboards, and mice for $70 per computer?

How do you figure you can build a complete tower for $230? I just did a quick search for xp home and can't find it anywhere for much under $100, though I did find the upgrade version for ~$75 and a restore disc for ~$50 (no COA or product key included).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Dub
View Post

How do you figure you can build a complete tower for $230? I just did a quick search for xp home and can't find it anywhere for much under $100, though I did find the upgrade version for ~$75 and a restore disc for ~$50 (no COA or product key included).

Yeah I didn't realize that those aren't full versions. Guess he'd be looking at around $280 for the tower if he wants to stick to all new parts and legit copies of Windows.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already have Legit copies thanks to Microsoft donating 50 copies of windows 7 pro

1 - 20 of 26 Posts