Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been itching to build something lately and I've been thinking of something to replace my acrylic tech bench so I came up with a concept I like a lot,

The clear areas in bottom panels will be for the intake and exhaust for my radiator, and the top areas are going to plexi glass panels in the wood I choose,
Im going to make space to mount some fans on the top section but I haven't decided on their location quite yet. The white square in the front represents my disk slot and fan controller. The whole thing is going to made out of 1/2" fir plywood that I intend on sanding and putting a dark stain on.

this is all for my first update, I'll be starting this tomorrow and all comments/ suggestions are welcome, thanks for looking

P.S theres going to be a middle section of the cube for the mobo, forgot to include that detail

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
make it out of cedar!

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschedrifter View Post
make it out of cedar!
oh so this plywood isn't smexi enough? I love how the grains just swirl around, good choice IMO

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
Put 45 degree angles and hide the endgrain?Any endgrain showing won't look very good.I would

drill pilot holes and use screws,glue and countersink and plug the holes,for the joints,what's

your idea?

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post
Put 45 degree angles and hide the endgrain?Any endgrain showing won't look very good.I would

drill pilot holes and use screws,glue and countersink and plug the holes,for the joints,what's

your idea?
Yeah I was thinking about doing that, thanks for the suggest because I probably would have forgot about it

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
Also real wood would be nice if you could get some 1/2 inch thick stuff about 4 or 5 inches wide,and join them for more width.It commonly comes in 3/4 but that would kind of be too much.It just would add weight,but it could be done.

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob0tuss1n View Post
Lets see a good job.

Subb'd

I have lots of idea's
I'm hoping this is going to be good enough for an entry in this months mod of the month
but there's been a lot of amazing builds lately so I might not have that great of a chance against the pro's but I'll try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Noice!

*subscribes*

thanks man, means a lot to have someone of your skill watch my project

·
Registered
262 Posts
Doing the 45 cuts definitely looks awesome but can take some pretty accurate cuts.

If you end up doing it and it doesn't turn out how you like you can also join them from end to side, just apply spackle (or wood filler) to the end-grain, wait to dry and sand smooth. Apply primer and it's just as good as any other part of the wood. Much easier to do, and looks pretty good in my opinion.

I did regular 90deg cuts on my box computer and I think it looks pretty decent.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I recently had to scrap my 1/2" plywood case attempt because plywood was too fragile when trying to do things like countersunk holes. It ended up splintering and cracking due to imperfections in the wood/plies. Also I tested gluing some 45° edges together. The plies of the wood are already pretty saturated with glue, so they don't take well to more glue. Even with proper glue application, clamping, and drying, I found the joints to be way too weak.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving some heads-up so you don't repeat my mistakes
Sub'ed and looking forward to the result

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomclancey View Post
Doing the 45 cuts definitely looks awesome but can take some pretty accurate cuts.

If you end up doing it and it doesn't turn out how you like you can also join them from end to side, just apply spackle (or wood filler) to the end-grain, wait to dry and sand smooth. Apply primer and it's just as good as any other part of the wood. Much easier to do, and looks pretty good in my opinion.

I did regular 90deg cuts on my box computer and I think it looks pretty decent.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for your suggestions, Ill bear that in mind but I now plan on doing the 45 cuts just for the clean look but the extra work will definitely be worth it

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundzero9 View Post
I recently had to scrap my 1/2" plywood case attempt because plywood was too fragile when trying to do things like countersunk holes. It ended up splintering and cracking due to imperfections in the wood/plies. Also I tested gluing some 45° edges together. The plies of the wood are already pretty saturated with glue, so they don't take well to more glue. Even with proper glue application, clamping, and drying, I found the joints to be way too weak.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving some heads-up so you don't repeat my mistakes
Sub'ed and looking forward to the result

Too bad that happened and really hope the same doesn't happen to me but I would hope that gluing and using the staple gun would be good? I can't do dovetail corners on plywood all that good or else I would do that

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yumyums View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, Ill bear that in mind but I now plan on doing the 45 cuts just for the clean look but the extra work will definitely be worth it

Too bad that happened and really hope the same doesn't happen to me but I would hope that gluing and using the staple gun would be good? I can't do dovetail corners on plywood all that good or else I would do that
Staple gun might be a little unsightly. A bracket like this would make it rock solid and be hidden on the inside. Just use some really short screws so they don't show on the outside, or glue it with an epoxy. I was going to do something similar, but other parts of the case were beyond repair.

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll check home hardware tomorrow and see if they sell any brackets like that, hopefully they wont be too big or expensive

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a small progress update here

Today I cut all the pieces and cut the 45s

I'm now starting to do the sanding on all the pieces
pretty boring update but it shows the progress

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:

Looking good! But some pieces have some blade burns. Improper cutting methinks?
wOOW... COULDNT JUST SAY NICE JOB, huh!!!

Nice job bud, keep us posted, nothing some sand paper cant handle>>. From One carpenter too the next I know how hard it is too miter cut plywood; that glue always burns!

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Hey Yumyums

Being Fir and using a dark stain scratchs from sanding will show up like no other. Are you hand sanding this or orbitaling? "Palm sander"

also if you water tack the panels after sanding this will "Pop" the grain and give you a darker color.

How are you going to apply the stain?

Sub'ed can't wait to see it
Woodworking+Computers=

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Looking good! But some pieces have some blade burns. Improper cutting methinks?
from the router i bet, no biggy, just sand it a tiny bit, and all is well.

gonna stain this beautiful wood?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts