Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
Would be most useful in Off Topic, but not a lot of other places... in the technical forums, we could have like "(# of users) Approved of this Post" or "(# of users) Disapproved of this Post", to keep it professional. Just a thought.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Ok, so what happens if you post something that you think is absolutely hilarious and nobody clicks to vote that it's funny?

What happens if your post gets a bunch of negative feedback from everyone else?

I dunno. The more neutral it is, the easier it is for OCN to maintain a friendly atmosphere. But the easier it is for people to judge somebody else's post, the less friendly it can become.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

Would be most useful in Off Topic, but not a lot of other places... in the technical forums, we could have like "(# of users) Approved of this Post" or "(# of users) Disapproved of this Post", to keep it professional. Just a thought.

Agree.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
@TwoCables: At the current trend, this forum is anything but neutral. If anything, such an anonymous voting system would help steer it back toward neutral. It's not as if you'd have to vote on the post AND comment, anyway.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

@TwoCables: At the current trend, this forum is anything but neutral. If anything, such an anonymous voting system would help steer it back toward neutral. It's not as if you'd have to vote on the post AND comment, anyway.

I know. But I can see people getting offended because they didn't get the votes that they expected or something similar to that. I dunno, it just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

But of course, I'm the guy who'd love to have the Rep+ completely removed thereby forcing people to either say "thank you" either in a public reply or in a private message instead of allowing them to give a Rep+. That way if they forget to say thank you, it's not as big of a deal. But many people sit there expecting a Rep+ and then get offended because they didn't get a Rep+ for all their hard work. But if they didn't have anything more to expect in return than a simple thank-you, then there are no hard feelings when the thank-you isn't given because their reaction alone is enough.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Chimp:
well obviously certain ratings should be kept to certain sections.
but given the ever increasing quanities of trolls, and people who simply have heard the wrong things and are spreading that info as facts, it is mainly the useful/useless rating that is important. it will flag posts not to be taken seriously, without going as far as reporting them, which may be inappropriate.

@TwoCables:
It's not any different from real life. If you make a joke and nobody laughs (or they pretend-laugh), that's the same thing. That's simply how life works, I cant help that either.

>What happens if your post gets a bunch of negative feedback from everyone else?
This is exactly what we want. If misinforming posts dont get any feedback, the poster wont ever know his information is wrong, and will keep spreading it. For example, a thermaltake user who didnt have his unit fail (yet), might actually recommend it. There have been people ignoring the warnings, because there were also people claiming the units ran fine. Negative feedback can help decrease such situations, for the greater good.

And i disagree on your last point in that post. People will try to give negative feedback one way or another. This way, it is anonymous, and merely a statistic. if people have to post to do it, in their bad mood they may offend eachother much more easily.

And how can you not like the rep system? it shows people who to trust. Its not 100% failsafe, but a great rule of thumb. We are a community to help people, and therefore we must strive to help people any way we can. this, as well as the rep system are ways for people to know what help is actually help, and what help may be meant well, but is actually a bad idea. (or just flat out trolling).

In the end, you will hurt people much more with misinformation, than with proper feedback.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
@ Chimp:
well obviously certain ratings should be kept to certain sections.
but given the ever increasing quanities of trolls, and people who simply have heard the wrong things and are spreading that info as facts, it is mainly the useful/useless rating that is important. it will flag posts not to be taken seriously, without going as far as reporting them, which may be inappropriate.

@TwoCables:
It's not any different from real life. If you make a joke and nobody laughs (or they pretend-laugh), that's the same thing. That's simply how life works, I cant help that either.
I'd rather have people typing out their reaction instead of voting. Heh. Y'know why? Because it would end up being that some people would stop typing just because all they have to do is click.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
>What happens if your post gets a bunch of negative feedback from everyone else?
This is exactly what we want. If misinforming posts dont get any feedback, the poster wont ever know his information is wrong, and will keep spreading it. For example, a thermaltake user who didnt have his unit fail (yet), might actually recommend it. There have been people ignoring the warnings, because there were also people claiming the units ran fine. Negative feedback can help decrease such situations, for the greater good.
But that's why we have the Report Post feature. When I see somebody who posts incorrect information and if I know the correct information, then I correct them. If I see them post it again, then I report them because I'd rather have them hear it from a friendly staff member than some obnoxious person like me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
And i disagree on your last point in that post. People will try to give negative feedback one way or another. This way, it is anonymous, and merely a statistic. if people have to post to do it, in their bad mood they may offend eachother much more easily.
I'd rather have it typed than given to me with a vote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
And how can you not like the rep system? it shows people who to trust. Its not 100% failsafe, but a great rule of thumb. We are a community to help people, and therefore we must strive to help people any way we can. this, as well as the rep system are ways for people to know what help is actually help, and what help may be meant well, but is actually a bad idea. (or just flat out trolling).

In the end, you will hurt people much more with misinformation, than with proper feedback.
There's no way I'm going to elaborate in this thread about why I dislike the Rep system. Besides, I have found that it's nearly impossible for me to accurately convey to others exactly what I see wrong with it. It's in my head. It's as clear as day. I understand it. But when I try to explain it and then when I read my explanation, I just go "what?", and so does everyone else. But if I could accurately convey it, then I know without a shadow of a doubt that everyone who saw my reasons would stand behind me 100% and we'd soon be without a Rep+ and we'd soon see how much it would improve OCN's friendly atmosphere.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
If I see them post it again, then I report them because I'd rather have them hear it from a friendly staff member than some obnoxious person like me.
Staff members can (and sometimes do) get it wrong, too, you know.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Staff members can (and sometimes do) get it wrong, too, you know.

Exactly. I always include the correct information in the report.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I'd rather have people typing out their reaction instead of voting. Heh. Y'know why? Because it would end up being that some people would stop typing just because all they have to do is click.
>implying that's a bad thing.
that would kill all those spam posts saying "+1" and nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
But that's why we have the Report Post feature. When I see somebody who posts incorrect information and if I know the correct information, then I correct them. If I see them post it again, then I report them because I'd rather have them hear it from a friendly staff member than some obnoxious person like me.
im surprised you havent been infracted for abuse of the reporting system yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I'd rather have it typed than given to me with a vote.
what people rather have, isnt as important as what will actually be more beneficial to more people, even if you dont realise it does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
But if I could accurately convey it, then I know without a shadow of a doubt that everyone who saw my reasons would stand behind me 100% and we'd soon be without a Rep+ and we'd soon see how much it would improve OCN's friendly atmosphere.
lol, nice try.

also, OCN is the friendliest forum ever.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
>implying that's a bad thing.
that would kill all those spam posts saying "+1" and nothing else.
For me, that's better than somebody just doing a drive-by with one click of their mouse. At least they put their fingers to the keyboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
im surprised you havent been infracted for abuse of the reporting system yet.
I'm not that kind of person. I may not have much self-awareness, but I do know this much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
what people rather have, isnt as important as what will actually be more beneficial to more people, even if you dont realise it does.
Maybe. But the chances of OCN making any change like this are pretty small.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
lol, nice try.
hehe I think I'm getting slightly better at trying to explain it. Maybe I'll have it nailed down by this time next year.


Yeah right. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
also, OCN is the friendliest forum ever.
I didn't say it wasn't though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
For me, that's better than somebody just doing a drive-by with one click of their mouse. At least they put their fingers to the keyboard.
fingers being put to the keyboard is exactly the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Maybe. But the chances of OCN making any change like this are pretty small.
Well, you're definately not helping much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I didn't say it wasn't though.
>OCN is the friendliest forum
>OCN has a rep system

conclusion: the rep system is awesome. (or at least it doesnt hurt)
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
fingers being put to the keyboard is exactly the problem.

Well, you're definately not helping much.

>OCN is the friendliest forum
>OCN has a rep system

conclusion: the rep system is awesome. (or at least it doesnt hurt)
Oh if I could only show you an OCN that has been without any kind of voting or judging system for a while.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Oh if I could only show you an OCN that has been without any kind of voting or judging system for a while.....
yeah, too bad, id have liked to see what you'd come up with.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
yeah, too bad, id have liked to see what you'd come up with.
I'm sorry if I have offended you by disagreeing with your suggestion so strongly.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
no, im serious, id love to see it.
i disagree strongly, but im not offended.
Of course you disagree: this is your suggestion. But I still say that the solution is to use the Report Post system, or to correct them yourself. Or, you can do what I sometimes do and say "meh, I don't feel like caring right now because after all: I don't own OCN."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why would you even argue if you dont care about OCN anyway?

EDIT wait, thats not the point.
back to the suggestion.
you say it would make things less friendly, but i think exactly the opposite will happen.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,947 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

why would you even argue if you dont care about OCN anyway?

EDIT wait, thats not the point.
back to the suggestion.
you say it would make things less friendly, but i think exactly the opposite will happen.

I didn't say that I don't care about OCN. But there are times where I just don't feel up to caring because I know that I am not responsible for OCN.. But yet, I know that OCN's members are the eyes and the ears of the staff.

So, I care about OCN a great deal. But again, there are times where I just go "bleh, I don't feel up to it right now.", and it's easy for me to do that because it's not like OCN depends on me and me alone.

With all due respect, this suggestion won't get implemented, so I don't think anything more needs to be said. I'm sorry for even saying this, but people love it when judging others becomes easier.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top