Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may not carry your house on your back or release sulphuric acid, but you’ve got a lot more in common with a sea snail than you may think. Especially where your brain is concerned.

Yes, sea snails may have 20,000 neurons — a paltry sum compared to humans’ 100 billion. But scientists have been studying sea snails for a long time, and they know an awful lot about how the organisms learn. Many marine organisms function the same way mammals do, except the processes that keep them alive are just way less complicated. And sea snails are no exception — their nerves transmit impulses much the way ours do.

So, it’s impressive that researchers from UCLA were able to transfer memories of being shocked between marine snails. Even more impressive? That early research may someday pave the way for similar processes in humans.
Source

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Fascinating. The effects on the outcomes of this study for those suffering from Alzheimer's, PTSD, head/brain trauma, etc. could be life-changing. I realize that nothing may ever come of it, but this is an incredible possibility that should be garnering more support and research.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
When they were shocked, the snails that weren’t injected with RNA curled for only a few seconds, the way all snails do when they haven’t been trained. But the ones injected with RNA from the trained snails? They held the pose for 40 seconds, as if they remembered how to respond to a stimulus, even though they had never encountered it before.
Another thing to note from TFA is that these researches believe they have proven that memories are not stored in synapses as some would believe, otherwise their experiment would not have worked.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
This is crazy awesome. Could you imagine if memories were in RNA? I mean, not full blown "this is what happened yesterday", but the "final lesson" like instinctual reactions. Kung Fu!

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
This is outrageous that they are torturing these poor animals for their own sick and sadistic purposes!!! Humans suck!!!

(Sorry, I slipped into crazy-millennial-animal-obsessed mode for a sec)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pseudo-science much? you cant transfer memories, first of all these "scientists" (if u can call people working at UCLA scientists) do even know what memories are? how they are re-called? Most people out there believe our memories are "stored" like you store bits on HDDs but the brain doesnt work like that, if you want to know why this will never work on the human brain, do a little research on how memories are produced then re-called in the human brain.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,511 Posts

·
Banned
8,804 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Pseudo-science much? you cant transfer memories, first of all these "scientists" (if u can call people working at UCLA scientists) do even know what memories are? how they are re-called? Most people out there believe our memories are "stored" like you store bits on HDDs but the brain doesnt work like that, if you want to know why this will never work on the human brain, do a little research on how memories are produced then re-called in the human brain.
lol, wut?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,010 Posts
Do you have a hypothesis that explains these experimental results? You cannot simply assert "you can't transfer memories" without showing evidence for being sure of that. This is part of of the research needed to test theories about how memories are stored, you cannot do science by assuming you already know the answer. We do these experiments to try to figure it out and use the results to inform our understanding.

I agree that memories are not stored in discrete places in our brain (brain injury case studies show this with a lot of data) but that does not mean we know how they are stored. There could be different kinds of memory too, there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to brains remembering things. :)

UCLA has some very cutting edge research, while doing some stupid stuff too, I am not sure what your line about "scientists" at UCLA is about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Do you have a hypothesis that explains these experimental results? You cannot simply assert "you can't transfer memories" without showing evidence for being sure of that. This is part of of the research needed to test theories about how memories are stored, you cannot do science by assuming you already know the answer. We do these experiments to try to figure it out and use the results to inform our understanding.

I agree that memories are not stored in discrete places in our brain (brain injury case studies show this with a lot of data) but that does not mean we know how they are stored. There could be different kinds of memory too, there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to brains remembering things. :)

UCLA has some very cutting edge research, while doing some stupid stuff too, I am not sure what your line about "scientists" at UCLA is about. :rolleyes:
I'm all for inclusion of ideas for discussion, but honestly if someone makes such a ridiculous claim like people at UCLA are not scientists why bother? Don't feed the trolls, and they go away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts