Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given skyrim as a Christmas gift and noticed almost from the get go that steel armor is an option, which I find extremely unrealistic. I don't know, it just doesn't stick with the time period. Steel didn't become popular until the late 19th century. It's like having an Ipad in World war 2. What gives?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitronical View Post

I was just given skyrim as a Christmas gift and noticed almost from the get go that steel armor is an option, which I find extremely unrealistic. I don't know, it just doesn't stick with the time period. Steel didn't become popular until the late 19th century. It's like having an Ipad in World war 2. What gives?
Steam-powered dwarven centurions, dragons, magic, and the presence of divine beings isn't what you question? How about glass armor? Ebony? Its a fantasy game, not a time period correct RPG. Enjoy it rather than questioning it.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: TwilightEscape

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Steam-powered dwarven centurions...
Now I am intrigued!
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Skyrim is a fantasy RPG. It's not a realistic time period based game. Flying dragons, Giants and different races should hint at this.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,666 Posts
Skyrim does not take place on Earth.

Tamriel did not, and does not, follow the same scientific or techological progression as Earth.

Even on Earth, in the real world, steel, yes steel, not just iron, armor was fairly common throughout the late middle ages and beyond. It was expensive and normally only in the hands of the wealthy, but it most certainly existed. Steel has been produced for more than 4,000 years on earth.

Your criticism would be silly even if Skyrim was somehow supposed to be historical fantasy (and it's obviously not).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitronical View Post

I was just given skyrim as a Christmas gift and noticed almost from the get go that steel armor is an option, which I find extremely unrealistic. I don't know, it just doesn't stick with the time period. Steel didn't become popular until the late 19th century. It's like having an Ipad in World war 2. What gives?
Dude. Skyrim is a FANTASY game. And according to the lore set by Bethesda, its correct.

In either case, if Steel armor bugs you, then youre really going to hate Daedric armor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
lol of all things to complain about in a game. I disliked it because I found the combat boring , but the actual content and story stuff is beyond amazing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitronical View Post

I was just given skyrim as a Christmas gift and noticed almost from the get go that steel armor is an option, which I find extremely unrealistic. I don't know, it just doesn't stick with the time period. Steel didn't become popular until the late 19th century. It's like having an Ipad in World war 2. What gives?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitronical View Post

Steel didn't become popular until the late 19th century.
And dragons didn't become popular until Skyrim...
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Steam-powered dwarven centurions, dragons, magic, and the presence of divine beings isn't what you question? How about glass armor? Ebony? Its a fantasy game, not a time period correct RPG. Enjoy it rather than questioning it.
He should be fine with that, as long as you can kill them by logging into their accounts as another user, opening a PayPal dispute with Valve, or similarly breaking their terms of service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
If this guy isn't trolling then i feel sorry for him.

Quick question though,how is having steel armor in skyrim like having an ipad in world war 2?If the U.S stormed normandy with ipads i'm pretty sure we would all be speaking german about now.

I don't really trust wiki but this seems pretty legit to me-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour - and it says about the 13th century
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrulz View Post

If this guy isn't trolling then i feel sorry for him.
Quick question though,how is having steel armor in skyrim like having an ipad in world war 2?If the U.S stormed normandy with ipads i'm pretty sure we would all be speaking german about now.
I don't really trust wiki but this seems pretty legit to me-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour - and it says about the 13th century
I laughed so hard when I read this, merry xmas to you good sir! Totally going in me sig.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: TopicClocker
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top