Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm currently using a Ryzen 7/B350 mobo. I use the system for VR but I also use the system to benchmark gpus.

I ran into an odd issue with doom where it's not properly using the gpu resulting in lower then expected fps avg 95 - 104 fps, depending on the run. I was able to "trick" the system into running properly when recording gameplay with OBS using the gpu to encode. This resulted in the fps running 120 - 160+ and higher gpu usage.

I want to reinstall the OS to see if I can clear up whatever is causing the issue.

The system currently has a 256gb Samsung 850 pro ssd and a 1tb hdd in it. I'm interested in trying out the $20 version of FuzeDrive. My concern is I read that fully uninstalling AMD gpu drivers also causes issues with AMD's version of FuzeDrive because the process uninstalls drivers required for FuzeDrive/StoreMI to function resulting in a system that won't boot. Since I'm using this system to benchmark gpu's this would be a major issue for me. I run a gtx 1060 in the system but have a HD7950 I plan on benchmarking in the next day or two.

Is anyone here aware of this problem? Do you know if this has been resolved or does the AMD version of FuzeDrive still have problems when clean uninstalling AMD drivers? I believe that just buying the normal FuzeDrive version that's $40 would solve this problem though I'd prefer to not spend that much on it.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks.

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
I have done the testing from StoreMI on a Ryzen 2700X to the upgraded version FuzeDrive on the Threadripper system. I enjoy it while I ran the Samsung 850 SSD with a 3TB drive on the Ryzen I am running the FuzeDrive on the Threadripper with a Samsung M.2 and 1TB. Both setup ran great and both load faster after several reboots. I have not notice this particular issue and I went with the FuzeDrive mainly because I wanted to allocate bigger boost drive and option for other drive combination including the 4GB Ram setup. I felt that even though the free StoreMI was nice it felt limited to me so I jump into the top version. Like I said works great and I have no issues with it. The 3TB drive and the 1TB drive were both 7200rpm drives. Both SSD/M.2 used were 500GB, I would redo it with FuzeDrive make sure you install the OS on the HDD and then start setting it up from there on. Good Luck!

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up going through with it and installed StoreMi on the system using a 256gb samsung 850 pro, 1tb hdd and 2gb ram. So far I've been happy with the performance of StoreMi. The version I use is limited to 128gb of fast storage. At first I was worried this would be too little but now that I've used StoreMi for a month I haven't noticed issues. One bonus is it left me with a 100gb ssd partition that I used to install Gta V on.

I haven't tested the driver problem I mentioned to know if it's still an issue or not.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I ended up going through with it and installed StoreMi on the system using a 256gb samsung 850 pro, 1tb hdd and 2gb ram. So far I've been happy with the performance of StoreMi. The version I use is limited to 128gb of fast storage. At first I was worried this would be too little but now that I've used StoreMi for a month I haven't noticed issues. One bonus is it left me with a 100gb ssd partition that I used to install Gta V on.

I haven't tested the driver problem I mentioned to know if it's still an issue or not.
I was able to use a 256GB NVMe drive with a 256GB SSD when I used StoreMI. I got weird hiccups when using it as a boot drive and then later as a game drive. My biggest gripe was with removing StoreMI. No matter the configuration I had to basically nuke both drives when removing StoreMI. There wasn't a non-destructive method I could find. Linus over at Linus Tech Tips had the same problem and he ended up recommending using PrimoCache.

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Hey nick name, Thanks for the video I will check it out and run some test to see how well it works. =)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Hey nick name, Thanks for the video I will check it out and run some test to see how well it works. =)
No problem. Apparently that software comes with a 60 day trial and removing it is non-destructive. I'd give it a go, but I have since replaced those two smaller SSDs with a 1 tb SSD so I don't really have a reason. I also got rid of those two drives.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was able to use a 256GB NVMe drive with a 256GB SSD when I used StoreMI. I got weird hiccups when using it as a boot drive and then later as a game drive. My biggest gripe was with removing StoreMI. No matter the configuration I had to basically nuke both drives when removing StoreMI. There wasn't a non-destructive method I could find. Linus over at Linus Tech Tips had the same problem and he ended up recommending using PrimoCache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWXBo0bb_dU
I had a lot of back and forth installing StoreMi.

1. First install - Fresh hdd/ssd
Wouldn't boot to windows. I think I might of set something up wrong though I'm not sure.

2. Reinstall - ssd (hdd not showing up)
When reinstalling windows the hdd would not show up. I had to install windows onto an ssd, install storemi, and then disable storemi through windows.

3. Try again - Fresh hdd/ssd
Installed windows onto my hdd. Got into windows and realized windows had installed the boot partition onto the ssd instead of the hdd. Disabled Storemi and,

4. Installed again - Fresh hdd, ssd physically disconnected
Physically disconnected my ssd. Installed windows onto the hdd. Once that was done I connected the ssd back up and everything worked.

There was a 5th time in there though I don't remember where it landed.

I didn't have issues disabling Storemi during the installs though I haven't tested disabling Storemi on my current install.

·
Not a Linux Lobbyist
2 Posts
I had a lot of back and forth installing StoreMi.
FYI, you wouldn't have had most of those issues if you'd been using UEFI instead of Legacy MBR. Next time you install Windows, make sure you boot to the install media with the UEFI option, or better yet just turn off Legacy boot in the BIOS.

In any case, it is true that it's relatively easy to convert to StoreMI, but harder to disable. Once the data is put in a tier and promotes and demotes start happening, the data gets scrambled. Though you can "Remove Fast Media" and go to a single disk mode, it's still in a virtual drive, and there's no removing the driver without cloning or copying your data to another disk. If you have a crash or just yank the drives without deleting the tier, you might have to use diskpart to clean them before re-using them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts