Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some as5 on it the other day this is the first time I put it on a gpu before but, ever since my games freeze up so then ,I think overheating well that is correct I touched the fan and it is blazing hot. I think I didn't put enough on.My question is should I apply it just like a cpu?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well instead of spreading it I just put a little in the center and put the heatsink on hopefully its done over heating.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewchamp1232
I put some as5 on it the other day this is the first time I put it on a gpu before but, ever since my games freeze up so then ,I think overheating well that is correct I touched the fan and it is blazing hot. I think I didn't put enough on.My question is should I apply it just like a cpu?
Put a small BB size amount on the GPU (Slightly less then what you would put on a CPU though
) put the heatsink back on and give it a wiggle to help seat it, then clamp the heatsink down, dont lift the heatsink back up though. The pressure of the heatsink on the GPU should spread the paste around.

Another way, Same amount as mentioned above, Get a credit card (Prefrably the wifes
) and spread the AS5 very thin and evenly so it covers the area of the core, then clamp your heatsink back on top.

Make sure the surface is cleaned of any old paste before doing the above.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
i had to put a really thick layer on it because some parts of the heatsink weren't touching it so i needed more to make contact.

still kept it ALOT cooler though, after u put it on, take it off and see where its touching. then put more on the spots it isn't touching

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo42024
Imo a bb sized dot is a little to much(depends on your chip size) but I put about half of what I use on a cpu.
Yea thanx it's running fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts